Reading This Makes Me Unsettled

slewis1952

if all you think about when you hear Mike Tice is jacksonville, you know little about football. He was there for one year, but was a major player in Minny and did well with the Bears as the OL for 2 years too. Any coach that is good enough to become a head coach and be called one of the best offenses in the history of the NFL, is good enough to be a position coach, especially when hes got a mean streak and wont let players slide by easily like Hill did.

The whole sack numbers thing is mostly because Martz used a 7-step drop on every play basically, and you have Jay Cutler who just literally sits there and gets hit. Hes never had a season where hes gotten the ball off as fast as Matt does. Cutler is just not a good QB, so of course hes going to be sacked alot in a Martz scheme. Can't pin that on Tice.

Remember, Hill had very little NFL experience, no successful NFL experience. This is a MAJOR upgrade.

Edited by Snowen

if all you think about when you hear Mike Tice is jacksonville, you know little about football. He was there for one year, but was a major player in Minny and did well with the Bears as the OL for 2 years too. Any coach that is good enough to become a head coach and be called one of the best offenses in the history of the NFL, is good enough to be a position coach, especially when hes got a mean streak and wont let players slide by easily like Hill did.

The whole sack numbers thing is mostly because Martz used a 7-step drop on every play basically, and you have Jay Cutler who just literally sits there and gets hit. Hes never had a season where hes gotten the ball off as fast as Matt does. Cutler is just not a good QB, so of course hes going to be sacked alot in a Martz scheme. Can't pin that on Tice.

Remember, Hill had very little NFL experience, no successful NFL experience. This is a MAJOR upgrade.

This board goes nuts anytime someone has even the smallest ties to Jacksonville. Surprised they haven't tried to give this fad a nickname. That's their other obsession.

I've got nothing against Tice, and I think he's a pretty good choice..

But why oh why, do we only sign coaches Mike Smith is somewhat familiar with?? It's like we can't evaluate the abilities of coaches, unless Smitty has been standing next to them on the sidelines..

I guess the Pat Hill experiment made Smitty and TD extra cautious about who to hire, so it's easier to go with someone they already know..

We are followers, we are not innovators. I think it has caught up with us. If we have tunnel vision when it comes to choosing people that are from Jacksonville, why would you think we would progress?Read below.

n his seven seasons as an offensive line coach, his unit was ranked in the top 10 in sacks allowed three times. In 2010, his Chicago Bears line led the league with 56 sacks. In 2011, his Chicago line gave up 49 sacks, fifth in the league. In 2001, his Minnesota line gave up 47 sacks, which ranked 7th in the league. In 1998, Tice had his best pass-protecting unit with Minnesota. They gave up 25 sacks and ranked 25th in the league. - See more at: http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2014/01/08/where-do-you-stand-on-the-mike-tice-hire/#sthash.6KRHwHjA.dpu

f

Edited by slewis1952

you have to be kidding me :lol: so when Cutler gets insta-pressure in his face, it's because he just sits there. when Ryan gets insta-pressure, it's because the line is the worst in NFL history and all this other bullsh*t ya pull out ya ***** :lol:

as far as the signing, it doesn't matter...we need personnel, not new coaches. been saying this for about 3 years

While it does seem that Smith keeps going back to Jacksonville, I like Tice. I mainly remember/know him from his days in Minnesota. Not ever stop in a great stop for a coach. Look at most coaches track record. They have likely been a failure prior to being a success.

I'm not going to sit up here and pretend that I know who the hot NFL O-line coaches are. Most likely, if a guy is the o-line coach on a team that has a really good o-line, he isn't going anywhere, at least not for the same position. For some reason, I'm thinking if its a lateral move, the team doesn't have to grant an interview.

I don't think his time in Jacksonville has anything to do with anything.

He's a really good o-line coach who has nothing to work with. Whether he gets new pieces or whether he can coach these scrubs up better than Hill could remains to be seen, but Hill wasn't the problem, ergo, Tice isn't really the solution.

Not a bad hire. Fixed the wrong problem.

Cutler is a pretty good QB who does like to hold onto the ball to go for the big play. combine that with the offense he was in and the putrid Oline he had, bad combination.

I don't think his time in Jacksonville has anything to do with anything.

He's a really good o-line coach who has nothing to work with. Whether he gets new pieces or whether he can coach these scrubs up better than Hill could remains to be seen, but Hill wasn't the problem, ergo, Tice isn't really the solution.

Not a bad hire. Fixed the wrong problem.

Can't see that Hill developed any player while he was here- looks like he was certainly part of the problem. We'll find out next year if Konz and Holmes look like NFL players.

When I think Mike Tice I think of the HC of the Vikings back in the day.

Can't see that Hill developed any player while he was here- looks like he was certainly part of the problem. We'll find out next year if Konz and Holmes look like NFL players.

He was here 2 years. He was given 2 rookies his first season to develop. I'm not sure that makes him "part of the problem." Especially when the o-line was terrible the day he arrived, and we cut a couple of former Pro Bowlers this season.

He was here 2 years. He was given 2 rookies his first season to develop. I'm not sure that makes him "part of the problem." Especially when the o-line was terrible the day he arrived, and we cut a couple of former Pro Bowlers this season.

Did those 2 rookies develop? Did he put a coherent group on the field? Like I said, we'll see next year.

Did those 2 rookies develop? Did he put a coherent group on the field? Like I said, we'll see next year.

I'm not sure 2 years is a fair amount of time for a 2nd round center who is being played out of position (he's too tall and plays too upright to play C in the NFL) and a 3rd rounder plugged in at LT. That's all I'm saying. If they need more time to develop, we needed better guys in front of them. I don't think it's Hill's fault a couple of 2nd year players being shuffled around the line to replace 2 Pro Bowlers (McClure and Clabo) and the starting LT (Baker) struggled. In fact, I think it should have been pretty obvious that was going to happen.

Konz played halfway decent at RG. I wonder how he would have fared if he'd played there the entire 2 seasons?

Guest Cally307a

Even worse, Only one year, if he couldn't last a year in jacksonville then we have real problems

why dont we just bring over the rest of the team while at it.

This is going to blow up big time this year.

The article on the front page for tice hiring struggled to even find anything good to talk about with his coaching ability its pathetic

Wheres the whiz

**** people even if the OL personnel stays the same they will likely improve a little just by experience, cant see how they could be worse. Tice's foot up their a zz might get another 10 percent improvement. A free agent here a draft pick there i'm not saying serviceable but likely improved.