The New Ridiculous Argument By The Ryan Detractors: Interceptions - A Closer Look

gazoo

Matt Ryan, playing behind the hands down worst offensive line in the NFL this year, threw 17 interceptions. Ryan had the NFLs worst running game backing him up, was throwing to his #3, and raw #4 and #5 WRs out there. His interception total this year was an aberration and we all know why.

However, in Ryan's first 5 seasons starting when he had at least a mediocre OL, he had less interceptions than all the following QBs did in their first 5 years starting:

Matt Ryan- 60

P Manning- 100

Tom Brady -66

Drew Brees -64

Dan Marino- 97

John Elway - 77

Joe Montana - 67

Brett Favre- 77

Troy Aikman - 66

Terry Bradshaw- 81

Now, I will present the stunning data Robb4242's included later in this thread that shows the ratios of interceptions per attempt in first 5 seasons starting:

M Ryan - 1 INT per 43.95 attempts

P Manning- 1 INT per 28.17 attempts

Tom Brady - 1 INT per 38.5 attempts

Drew Brees - 1 INT per 36.5 attempts

Dan Marino- 1 INT per 25.71 attempts

John Elway - 1 INT per 28.02 attempts

Joe Montana - 1 INT per 30.65 attempts

Brett Favre - 1 INT per 21.69 attempts

Troy Aikman - 1 INT per 29.09 attempts

Terry Bradshaw - 1 INT per 15.14 attempts

Ryan is not only better, he's dramatically better than many of the greatest QBs in NFL history.

These Ryan detractors will sink to any level to disparage him, blame him for the problems on the OL, and rest of the team, but this new interception criticism is dead in the water. Ryan is clearly one of the best in this area. Better than Brady, Manning, Brees and a host of other elite QBs.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did the oline, running game, and recievers have to do with MR throwing 13/14 ints after the bye week? Talk about ridiculous argument. He throw a gang of ints to AZ 2 seasons in a row...what aberration?

I like Ryan but it's getting annoying to read about him one way or the other. He isn't below average and he isn't one of the best of all time. He's a QB who got his butt kicked, had no one to throw it to so he was stupid and threw it into double and triple coverage. Hopefully he's better next year. But those 3, 4 and 5 int games need to stop.

What did the oline, running game, and recievers have to do with MR throwing 13/14 ints after the bye week? Talk about ridiculous argument. He throw a gang of ints to AZ 2 seasons in a row...what aberration?

I hate to burst your bubble my feathered friend, but Ryan had 10 interceptions his first 8 games, and 7 interceptions his second 8 games.

I do, however, appreciate the goal post shift from the criticism of how many interceptions Ryan had this season compared to Tom Brady and others, to what part of the season he may have had these interceptions!

Your indignation has been rightly converted to humiliation.

I hate to burst your bubble my feathered friend, but Ryan had 10 interceptions his first 8 games, and 7 interceptions his second 8 games.

I do, however, appreciate the goal post shift from the criticism of how many interceptions Ryan had this season compared to Tom Brady and others, to what part of the season he may have had these interceptions!

Your indignation has been rightly converted to humiliation.

like I said 13/14 ints after the bye week

He just loses his mind against Arizona. I think their uniform and logo must look too much like ours.

Against Arizona, two of those interceptions came from him being hit as he released. One Dansby absolutely crushed him as he was throwing and ball flew up in air and was picked off, and another he had two blitzers in his face just as he released it.

The announcers stated, after the 4th interception, the reason he had 4 interceptions was due to the incredible amount of pressure Ryan was under the entire game which is exactly my argument. NO QB can play well when getting pounded on all game. Brady, P Manning, Brees and all of them throw interceptions when under heavy pressure.

Thank you for proving my point by bringing this game up midnight-toker. Just watch the highlight film if you have any questions about this game.

Against Arizona, two of those interceptions came from him being hit as he released. One Dansby absolutely crushed him as he was throwing and ball flew up in air and was picked off, and another he had two blitzers in his face just as he released it.

The announcers stated, after the 4th interception, the reason he had 4 interceptions was due to the incredible amount of pressure Ryan was under the entire game which is exactly my argument. NO QB can play well when getting pounded on all game. Brady, P Manning, Brees and all of them throw interceptions when under heavy pressure.

Thank you for proving my point by bringing this game up midnight-toker. Just watch the highlight film if you have any questions about this game.

1st INT: No pressure doesn't read the lber dropping in coverage and he reads MR's eyes.

2nd INT: gets pressure miss reads coverage and throws deep while HD runs open

underneath.

3rd INT: No pressure about 4 secs to throw, MR even throws a shoulder fake

4th int: Yep pressure from Dansby and he just throws it up in the air

Great stat, didn't know his numbers were around there when compared

Thanks Bawse, I felt the same way when I looked at the data. I knew Ryan was pretty good in this area overall, but when we compare his numbers to those elite Qbs on that list and realize Matty Ice was better than them all, it really is something.

Thanks Bawse, I felt the same way when I looked at the data. I knew Ryan was pretty good in this area overall, but when we compare his numbers to those elite Qbs on that list and realize Matty Ice was better than them all, it really is something.

They are all better than Matt Ryan. Stop comparing this overpaid bum to these greats.

1st INT: No pressure doesn't read the lber dropping in coverage and he reads MR's eyes.

2nd INT: gets pressure miss reads coverage and throws deep while HD runs open

underneath.

3rd INT: No pressure about 4 secs to throw, MR even throws a shoulder fake

4th int: Yep pressure from Dansby and he just throws it up in the air

On #2, HD had leverage with a defender right on his hip. Not running open, but open enough if the QB had time to work the progression down. The ball probably should have went there but there wasn't time to check down to it.

INTs 1 & 3 were bad on Ryan's part. #4, just throwing up a prayer at the end of the game that doesn't get answered. Arizona does seem to have Ryan's number, but bottom line, if you're going to try and use INTs as a stat to bash Ryan by, you might as well pack your bags & go, because it's not going to end well.

There are very few QBs who throw INTs at a lesser rate than Ryan does. Let's go back to gazoo's list & look at the INT per attempt ratios of the QB's listed (I like the ratio better since it's a more accurate look than just total numbers. For example maybe someone didn't throw many passes early on, or they missed games, like Brees, who missed 7 games compared to Ryan's 2).

P Manning- 1 INT per 28.17 attempts

Tom Brady - 1 INT per 38.5 attempts

Drew Brees - 1 INT per 36.5 attempts

Dan Marino- 1 INT per 25.71 attempts

John Elway - 1 INT per 28.02 attempts

Joe Montana - 1 INT per 30.65 attempts

Brett Favre - 1 INT per 21.69 attempts

Troy Aikman - 1 INT per 29.09 attempts

Terry Bradshaw - 1 INT per 15.14 attempts

Ryan over his first 5 seasons averaged 1 INT per 43.95 attempts. But when you go out to this past season, this awful 17 INT season, Ryan's INT per attempt ratio plummets to 1 INT per 42.70 pass attempts.

Very few NFL QBs have lower ratios than Ryan. There are a couple, Ryan's not at the top of the list, but he's a whole heap better than the haters are giving him credit for. Not sure why people can be happy with a QB that's firmly one of the top 7 or 8 QB's in the league over the course of his brief career thus far.

Why only use the first 5 years when he has played 6 and has 77 ints? Think all those other QBs had the perfect setting all those years? FFS Tony Romo is believed to be an int machine and he had less ints than Ryan in his first 6 years, so now I guess Romo is better than all those guys too? In his first 6 years starting, Rodgers had a Lombardi,Tom Brady had won 3,Bradshaw had 2,Aikman had 2 ,Montana had 2,Roethlisberger had 2 Eli has 1 and Flacco has 1.. So yea, take a pill and just stop.

Overall Ryan is a good QB. Stats can be misleading especially when all the

info isn't presented. If you argue that the INTs can be attributed to poor OLine play

and that completions are because of Ryan adjusting to poor Oline play then the two arguments

cancel each other out.

Stats would need to state

attempts and completions at different distances.

drops by receivers

deflected passes etc.

And if you compare with other QBs, the same would need to be analyzed plus

the strength of the defensive opponents.

Just saying stats don't always tell the whole story, but if you're thorough you can build

a stronger argument.