Top 5 Head Coaches In The N F L

SaintRay

Because they've proven it over many years:

Payton

Belichick

Tomlin

Reid

John Harbaugh

Honourable mention - Coughlin, McCarthy, Marvin Lewsi and, if they bounce back next year - don't hurt yourself laughing - Smitty

Soon to be in the discussion after a few more years:

Jim Harbaugh

Pete Carroll

Bruce Arians (think of what he did the last 2 years)

Edited by Bart2Ryan+beyond

Because they've proven it over many years:

Payton

Belichick

Tomlin

Reid

John Harbaugh

Honourable mention - Coughlin, McCarthy, Marvin Lewsi and, if they bounce back next year - don't hurt yourself laughing - Smitty

Soon to be in the discussion after a few more years:

Jim Harbaugh

Pete Carroll

Bruce Arians (think of what he did the last 2 years)

I'm sorry B2R, but Smitty. Hahahaha

1. Bill Belichick - 3 Rings and consistently a winner.

2. Sean Payton - One of the best offensive minds in football

3. Tom Coughlin - Old school coach that has two rings.

4. Rex Ryan - Better DC than head coach, but probably the best Defensive mind in the league. He just needs a QB that doesn't turn the ball over.

5. Pete Carroll - Hate to put him in the top 5 but he's built a legit contender. Won a playoff game with a 7-9 team his first year there. Won multiple championships with USC.

I'm sorry B2R, but Smitty. Hahahaha

I told you not to laugh - you prick! tongue.png

OK, I know Smitty doesn't get much respect here or in TATF, but he should get some credit for stepping into the clusterfuk that was the Falcons post-Petrino and HC-ing them to 5 straight winning seasons, 2 Div titles, and 4 playoff seasons. 2013 was an obvious disaster, but if we bounce back to 10-6 and a playoff appearance next year, then he should be recognized. I'm not saying that he is in the same class as the top 5 or guys like McCarthy or Coughlin, but other HCs like Lovie and Marvin Lewis get a favourable rap and I bet if one were to check their records over the years, Smith's regular season record is notably better.

It's unfair to Smitty that people think that all he does is show up for the games like some kind of figure head.

OK, I know Smitty doesn't get much respect here or in TATF, but he should get some credit for stepping into the clusterfuk that was the Falcons post-Petrino and HC-ing them to 5 straight winning seasons, 2 Div titles, and 4 playoff seasons. 2013 was an obvious disaster, but if we bounce back to 10-6 and a playoff appearance next year, then he should be recognized. I'm not saying that he is in the same class as the top 5 or guys like McCarthy or Coughlin, but other HCs like Lovie and Marvin Lewis get a favourable rap and I bet if one were to check their records over the years, Smith's regular season record is notably better.

It's unfair to Smitty that people think that all he does is show up for the games like some kind of figure head.

I won't rule out Smith. Just look at what he has done. This is his first losing season. His team was in the NFCCG last season. Maybe not top 5 but top 10. Either way, no one of the Falcon fans should have too much too complain about.

You are correct, I was being a prick! lol

Smitty has done a great job with Atl. I believe where he went wrong is changing his offense from turner to ryan. Ryan is a very good QB, but Smith isnt the coach to oversee that type of team. I see him as a coach who wants a strong defense and a RB to control the time.

Schotty 2.0

You are correct, I was being a prick! lol

Smitty has done a great job with Atl. I believe where he went wrong is changing his offense from turner to ryan. Ryan is a very good QB, but Smith isnt the coach to oversee that type of team. I see him as a coach who wants a strong defense and a RB to control the time.

Schotty 2.0

good point! Smitty needs to take a page from Don Shula's book. Shula won SBs with a ground and pound team in the 70s, then he got Marino and he adjusted his coaching to take advantage of Marino's strengths. Yes they didn't win a SB but I was always impressed how Shula adjusted and most of those Marino-led teams were d@mn good.