Booster On Texas Hiring Strong: 'kick In The Face'

Boogie Man

It didn't take long for new Texas coach Charlie Strong to collect his first critic.

Texas businessman and Longhorns booster Red McCombs called Strong's hiring a "kick in the face" during an appearance on ESPN 1250 in San Antonio on Monday, the day Strong was introduced as the Longhorns' new coach. McCombs previously championed current ESPN analyst and former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden as the man Texas should hire.

"I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator," McCombs said. "But I don't believe [he should be head coach at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs co-founded Clear Channel Communications and lent his name to the McCombs School of Business at Texas. He previously owned the Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Vikings and San Antonio Spurs and founded an automotive group in San Antonio.

His net worth is estimated at $1.4 billion, according to a 2012 report by the San Antonio Express-News.

"Beyond the fact of what actually happened. We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game. When we decided to go get Mack -- from the time we decided to go get Mack to about 30 hours later to have a press conference here and it was done -- we had a lot of input before we went after him," McCombs said. "So I don't know what the big rush was. I was kind of pleased that [Texas athletic director Steve] Patterson already said that he'd like to get it done in the middle of January. That seemed logical to me. I'm a team player, but I think they went about it wrong and made the selection wrong."

Now I realize my opinion is in direct opposition to a man who could buy me millions of times over, but...Texas did pretty good with a coach who made UNC relevant, they'll do well with a coach who made Louisville relevant.

Charlie Strong recruited very well in Florida against UF, FSU and Miami. He'll do the same, probably better going against LSU, A&M, and UO.

He wanted Gruden, Gruden didn't want Texas, wth did he expect UT to do? Hire no one?

McCombs is an arrogant asshat who thinks that because he has money that he is:

1. smart

2. knows football (his Viking ownership days should disprove this one)

3. someone that people need to listen to.

He's just butthurt that UT didn't bow to his demands that they hire his guy.

Considering Charlie wasn't there top choice in the first place, this dude should probably shut the h€ll up. How many candidates turned Texas down again?

plenty did, but you won't know the exact number.. it's like when tennessee hired derek dooley publicly he was their top option, but they were turned down by 8 to 9 guys before hiring dooley.

I think this loon is delirious. He is obviously in denial about how important Texas apparently is, and the even more obvious thing is how important he is. I don't give a rats @ss about what he has to say. If Strong is only worthy of being a position coach apparently Texas is not quite the job he thinks it is. Was he isolated in a cave somewhere and missed all the guys who told them to "go kick rocks"? This guy is either (1) a delusional idiot (2) to out of touch with today's game (3) a little racially biased (4) grandstanding (5) all of the above. I don't care about Texas or this dude but for some reason his comments really irked me and got me all fired up.