Thoughts On Tice Hire From Bears Fan

I'm in the minority here, but Pat Hill is a solid oline coach. I think we have ****** players. Its hard to make chicken salad out of chicken excretia. Tice will have to have a minor miracle occur to shape this sad sack crew into a cohesive unit. Unless he is able to get some true maulers, we will have another long season. And this time around Ryan will be in traction.

Pat Hill was too buddy, buddy with the players and there was absolutely no sign of technique improvement from anyone in the line. What saved his *** in 2012 was Baker finally staying healthy, McClure doing the most he could while he was running on fumes to direct the line, and Konz plugging up the void at RG since Reynolds wasn't getting it done. Subtract Baker and McClure and you saw the product he was "coaching" and it was pure ******* ****.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat Hill was too buddy, buddy with the players and there was absolutely no sign of technique improvement from anyone in the line. What saved his *** in 2012 was Baker finally staying healthy, McClure doing the most he could while he was running on fumes to direct the line, and Konz plugging up the void at RG since Reynolds wasn't getting it done. Subtract Baker and McClure and you saw the product he was "coaching" and it was pure ******* ****.

So many on here praised the Hill hiring. Obviously, results would suggest he wasn't the answer, but what glaring mistakes did he make? I'll confess I'm not all that versed in all the nuances of strategies and technique on the lines. I tend to focus on secondary and WRs as a result of playing at these positions, but line...any thoughts? Also, anybody think this hiring would suggest an aggressive direction in FA and the draft? I think we're going to go heavier on the O-line.

So many on here praised the Hill hiring. Obviously, results would suggest he wasn't the answer, but what glaring mistakes did he make? I'll confess I'm not all that versed in all the nuances of strategies and technique on the lines. I tend to focus on secondary and WRs as a result of playing at these positions, but line...any thoughts? Also, anybody think this hiring would suggest an aggressive direction in FA and the draft? I think we're going to go heavier on the O-line.

I think TD must've learned that college coaches are hit or miss. Pat Hill was clearly a miss, but I don't think we had much talent anyway. Us hiring Tice does not tip our cap in any direction in terms of picking up olinemen or dline in the draft/fa. I think drafting our linemen would be the best option because Mike Tice will get some say in who he likes and wants and it won't be dependent on $. Tice is probably pleading with TD to draft Oline in the first

I'm in the minority here, but Pat Hill is a solid oline coach. I think we have ****** players. Its hard to make chicken salad out of chicken excretia.

What you say is true. What cost Pat Hill his job is that the offensive line quit on him. Any time that happens, the coach has to go.

Fun fact .. the bears oline improved because they signed a LT to a big contract... they drafted a First roung guard and found a gem in the 5th round at RT.

plain and simple ... you need players ... a good coach will coach up abd develop the unit but YOU NEED PLAYERS

The Oline from 2011 to 2012 was so much improved, so Hill got a lot of praise. I guess it was all Baker being healthy. And maybe Hill was part of the reason TD stayed pat and didn't go make any FA moves to get Oline guys, Hill might have said he can get these guys working, but there's no evidence of that.

I just hope Tice is a good evaluator of offensive line talent and not just a coach. Right now, Tice is probably watching tape of every Falcons offensive snap this year. By tomorrow, he is going to have a green/sick look on his face when he reports to Mike Smith that there is NO talent on the roster except Justin Blalock.

It could be that TD is far better than we know? If Tice gets magic out of Konz and Holmes, and if Baker returns to contract year form, we may all be rethinking TD's picks. What if talent wasn't the issue? What if they don't keep their hands up and helments forward, avoid crossing over? What if all they need is a little balance (I believe those are the things Tice preaches from the McClure article on ESPN)?

What you say is true. What cost Pat Hill his job is that the offensive line quit on him. Any time that happens, the coach has to go.

Yep. This is exactly what Blank meant when he said that the message from the coaches had gotten "stale". If you say the same thing over and over and what you're saying isn't working, the players tune you out or don't respect you as a coach.

you think they quit? Didnt they play their best the last 4 weeks or so of the season?

Maybe they did, but that was the first thing that popped into my head when reading the thread.

Tice was hired for one main reason. to transform these pssies we have into football players.

hey guys my best friend is a Bears Fan and i called to get his opinion on the hire of Mike Tice. i remembered that a few years back the Bears had the WORST oline in the NFL ( you guys remember that) he said the reason the Oline Sucked was cause they let Center Olin Kreutz leave brains of the oline for the bears. from 2010-2011 Mike Tice was Oline Coach they gave up 56-50 sacks those two season (106)

Thoughts

Not to make any excuses for him, but who did Cutler actually have that he could throw the ball too? Marshall wasn't a Bear then. Hester and the other receiver was just fast.

Edited by atlbaby

I look at it this way, we have to hire someone and mike Tice has had success at the NFL level. He's had some disappointments as well, but focusing on one group of guys that he specializes in May help him bring out their full potential because of his coaching skills. I understand the people you have are the people you have but sometimes a change can bring a real positive influence on some people.

agreed but i think we have too many holes to fill the oline dline situation is clearly a 2 maybe 3 year process,

imo i think TD will focus on 1 side of the ball per FA/Draft period,

Free agency they focus on OLINE

Draft will be DLine

2-3 year process to find 3 or 4 guys.

For starters on the D-line Peters Umenyiora & Massaquoi stood up this year throw in FA Joseph and you have a pretty good defensive front right there.

O-line was just a wreck but you throw in a combo or dream FA Alex Mack a Greg Robinson/Jake Matthews Gabe Jackson combo and we are on our way to fixing both side sides of the ball in an off season.

Edited by kiwifalcon