I Ask You This Regarding Finding O-Line And D-Line Talent In The Draft And Fa...

ol'_dirty2

Do you think TD will get it right? I'm not suggesting he will or won't...I'm just asking what the board thinks. Personally, I can remember several picks over the last few years and a few FA signings that were intended to do just that. Seems like it's a crapshoot to me. Is TD the end all be all or is he going off scouts and coaches input as well? Maybe he goes maverick...what say you?

Guest facelessman07

If we can actually leave players at their natural positions instead of cross training a guard to be a tackle and vice versa then maybe we can get something accomplished

I honestly have grave concerns this FO is not going to be any better equipped to make the critical draft decisions, roster moves and FA pick-ups to rebuild these lines this off-season than they were last year, or the year before or the year before. I do have hope, the hope that we get lucky and get some studs despite the dubious ability of those making the moves.

TD hasn't done well drafting linemen, yes. But he also hasn't felt the need to make drafting em his number one priority since '08. Now that he knows he needs to score with these picks this year and since we have a great draft position he'll have all the tools to find some studs. This is why we must use our first round pick on the OL if Clowney is gone...better chance TD finds a good player

What are realistic expectations? 2 starters is the benchmark for an NFL draft, and often they aren't starters from day 1. Does he get credit if he pulls 2 starting linemen from the draft? Even if they aren't probowlers? We need 5 starting OL/DL- two starting DTs and 3 starting OL. Do both DL have to be better than Corey Peters? I wonder if filling holes is acceptable to the arm chair gms, because just getting to competency on the OL/DL is a tough job.

What are realistic expectations? 2 starters is the benchmark for an NFL draft, and often they aren't starters from day 1. Does he get credit if he pulls 2 starting linemen from the draft? Even if they aren't probowlers? We need 5 starting OL/DL- two starting DTs and 3 starting OL. Do both DL have to be better than Corey Peters? I wonder if filling holes is acceptable to the arm chair gms, because just getting to competency on the OL/DL is a tough job.

I think Massaquoi has oodles of talent waiting to be properly coached. I also think Holmes has ability but needs to be coached up to be a bit more "mean". I saw good things from Maponga and Goodman this year too. The only deficiency I see is a space eater on the dline...

The trenches are our biggest weakness.

Track record shows that TD is horrible at evaluating trench guys.

Like the OP I wonder is it TD or was he depending on Ray Hamilton and the O-line coaches to tell him who to pick --what was Smith, the OC/ DC inputs.

They ALL have input to the draft board --TD does not do that on his own

It would be interesting to know how much TD relied on others

ie who has the biggest say in a WR Smith, Koetter, Robiskie or TD --what if everyone likes a WR but Robiskie says "I can't coach him" what happens?

I think he will get it right, but you don't get quick fixes via the draft so it will take a minimum of 2 years before we know about the OL especially. I doubt that our fanbase has the patience to wait and find out, but I hope Arthur Blank does.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant defensive turnaround next year, as I think TD may have have a defensive draft for the ages in 2013, especially when you factor in the UDFA's Bartu and Warrilow.

He can he is smarter then some give him credit for. But the most dangerous thing TD can do is to get over confident. AB says he has no doubt we will get back, some think we are just a few DRAFT PICKS away. No!!!!! We have to add real quality pieces to this team and he or MS can't get emotional, there will have to be some changes in size, toughness, speed and strength and Staff.. We have to have two deep at every position that can play. Injuries just will happen in today's NFL. Also our conference could be the best in the NFL now that Lovie is with Tampa who are just a few players and Staff away. Carolina have a good draft and FA, Saints will be Saints and we could very well finish last. But everything is up for grabs with the new NFL contract and the Draft. I just hope TD, MS and AB leave no stone unturned.

I look at a draft like last year when all the OL guys seem to do pretty well in their first year (Fischer, Joekel, etc.) It may be that the top 3-4 guys are can't miss round one talent for OL. DL I see quite a few busts only because the premium has always been on good pass rush and there are so few guys that can do it at an elite level right out of college. Aldon Smith, etc. There's like 1 maybe 2 a year and it's rarely the guy that all the analysts were pointing out preseason.

I honestly have grave concerns this FO is not going to be any better equipped to make the critical draft decisions, roster moves and FA pick-ups to rebuild these lines this off-season than they were last year, or the year before or the year before. I do have hope, the hope that we get lucky and get some studs despite the dubious ability of those making the moves.

Seems to me, no matter how good you are at scouting, there's a ton of unpredictability (which is why the whole NFL sees at least one highly rated bust every year). So, you do your best to predict, but you have to couple that with a LOT OF PICKS.

Like this year, we were desperate at cornerback, so we picked 2 (other factors were involved of course). This year, we're *EXTREMELY* desperate on the lines, especially the O line. So we need to over-invest picks there (a little) if we're going to have reasonable hope of getting it fixed.

I think most years (maybe not this one since we're desperate) we should be trading down and stockpiling picks, to overcome the unpredictability of the draft.

Seems to me, no matter how good you are at scouting, there's a ton of unpredictability (which is why the whole NFL sees at least one highly rated bust every year). So, you do your best to predict, but you have to couple that with a LOT OF PICKS.

Like this year, we were desperate at cornerback, so we picked 2 (other factors were involved of course). This year, we're *EXTREMELY* desperate on the lines, especially the O line. So we need to over-invest picks there (a little) if we're going to have reasonable hope of getting it fixed.

I think most years (maybe not this one since we're desperate) we should be trading down and stockpiling picks, to overcome the unpredictability of the draft.

I think this is spot on. How many of the "safest pick in the draft!!" guys have busted? How many of the big question mark guys have turned into studs?

The draft is the most inexact of sciences.

One thing I've noticed over the years. The teams that excel tend to do two things exceptionally well. Find players that translate physically to the NFL. And they develop that talent. Look no farther than the Patriots and Packers. We do well with the first part, but have largely failed at the second part.

Do you think TD will get it right? I'm not suggesting he will or won't...I'm just asking what the board thinks. Personally, I can remember several picks over the last few years and a few FA signings that were intended to do just that. Seems like it's a crapshoot to me. Is TD the end all be all or is he going off scouts and coaches input as well? Maybe he goes maverick...what say you?

Not sure TD can get er done.....I've been a big TD supporter but the OL and DLs have been pretty horrific since he got here