Obvious Disconnect Between Smitty And Td

Ice5303

Just listening to blank yesterday talk about that he thinks smitty lost his way in having his style of team...hard nose, tough defensive line, ball control, conservative, power running game.....everything we already know, sounds like smitty gave away some room to TDs more flash and style, heavy pass,....WRs and CBs

Which is a concern because you have 2 schools of thought, and the head coach should rule on that....and then add in Nolan's vision and Koetters

Definitely a make or break year for both

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This became pretty clear to me when our reaction to giving up 48 points on our own field in a playoff game was the Julio trade. For better or worse, Smitty hasn't changed since 1983. If he's being honest, he would tell you that you lose a game like that because your defense isn't any good, and he'd be right. Dimitroff would tell you that you lose a game like that because you couldn't score 49 points. That is also technically correct, but for obvious reasons it is an incredibly stupid way to look at things.

Yea - I think blank may lean on TD now - all this skilled talent, now they are hurt and TOny retired - and wer are fked because our play in trenches is not NFL ready and Blank said they do not always get along, and smitty has been saying we need to strengthen our lines and we havent done it, he wont be going anywhere - TD will.

As long as some serious steps are taking in FA and draft regarding the trenches, you can do a lot of stuff on both sides of the ball.

When I say serious, I mean going after a FA starter or two on the line AND first two picks being linemen.

You do that and you instantly improve the lines, providing they are good signings/picks. In turn, you can play smashmouth and/or air it out when you want...

Translation....Dominating trenches=winning football games

I kind of agree. I don't think smitty likes the flash, and when he lost the running game he kind oof went crazy. He still ttried to be conservative even though we aren't that type of team.

I'd love it if we could become more run heavy this offseason

All of this became apparent two years ago when everyone in the locker room was stating that the team was trying to find their identity and every analyst was in agreeance. Two conflicting philosophies for sure. One of them has to go and if I had my choice, I would keep Smittyball.

smitty ball covers up the ineffectiveness and shortcomings of td's horrible talent evaluation. for all the people who hate smitty and blame him, he's the only reason this team has had any success over the past few years. we just dont have the talent to be the best show on turf type team some folks were fooled into believing we could be. i fell for it after 2008 and almost last year but what goes up must come down.

All of this became apparent two years ago when everyone in the locker room was stating that the team was trying to find their identity and every analyst was in agreeance. Two conflicting philosophies for sure. One of them has to go and if I had my choice, I would keep Smittyball.

Smittyball done right is a recipe for success. Just look at the playoffs.

The Saints are the only finesse offense and they NEED a running game and a strong defense to succeed. We have neither of those.

Games are won in the trenches, Dimi hasn't faired well in providing adequate talent in these areas

Not an excuse for him since he's missed big time on some picks in the trenches but a lot of the problems are:

1) Koetter not knowing what he's doing on offense (something Jags fans warned of when we hired him). Coaches ask for certain types of players and the GM does his best to bring them in. In this case since Koetter has come here he has gotten Konz and Holmes, two players who are best fits for a zone blocking scheme, but we continued to run a man blocking scheme. My guess is that Koetter requested players who can kick out into and block well in space so his screen based offense would be much improved while ignoring that he was trying to cram a square peg in a round hole in every other facet of the scheme.

2) The defense is in rebuild mode from a cover 2 4-3 to a LEO 4-3. The schemes require very different personnel and they opted to address the secondary first since the most glaring needs going into the 2013 draft was CB. This left something to be desired in the front seven and especially in the D-line.

That said, he absolutely has to hit the bullseye this offseason. If not then his and the coaching staff's jobs will be in serious jeopardy.

Really, what has Smith really done ??? he jumped on with 2 pretty good defences with the Ravens and Jags, I seem to remember they had keystone players before he got there so to me he is like a pile jumper. Diving in when the work is done, I don't care about meaningless reg season wins against bottom feeders either and he has never been able to compete with the better teams in pressure situations ie PLAYOFFS. Also if he is so great why is our defense in shambles year after year??? we never could get off the field. Arthur should have dumped Smith and TD, he will live to regret giving them one more year. Will be more of the same and the fk ups start with the draft , bank on it. We maybe get a player with our first pick unless we trade back and from there we are in nowhere land with TD.

But we have never had a dominating defense under Smith let alone dominating line. And if there has been a disconnect and it's been going on for 3 years isn't Arthur just as much to blame for all this mess? Again if this is the case the organization is incompetent

Yes Blank was emphatic in his assertion that we are too soft in the trenches and that needs to change. He even mentioned that he did not agree completely that we have good/right players in the trenches. So I am assuming that he might have some strong inputs in the upcoming draft regarding who we will draft. Especially if it is a flashy player, he might quash that whim.

Yes Blank was emphatic in his assertion that we are too soft in the trenches and that needs to change. He even mentioned that he did not agree completely that we have good/right players in the trenches. So I am assuming that he might have some strong inputs in the upcoming draft regarding who we will draft. Especially if it is a flashy player, he might quash that whim.

I doubt he'll have major say in who they draft but he'll definitely make it clear what they should draft.

I doubt he'll have major say in who they draft but he'll definitely make it clear what they should draft.

He might as well just say who we should draft…..

Wed be in better shape if some of these TATF posters were in control of drafting. Im sure Blank knows more than we do….

The problem has been in talent development and that falls on the coaching staff. What player has this coaching staff developed into a perennial Pro bowler?

Another issue. Players either remain the same coming out of college or get worse. With exception to Matt Ryan.

The problem has been in talent development and that falls on the coaching staff. What player has this coaching staff developed into a perennial Pro bowler?

just because you pour syrup on **** dont make it pancakes. i cant think of one player drafted by td that left here and went on to become something better on another team after failing here.

smitty ball covers up the ineffectiveness and shortcomings of td's horrible talent evaluation. for all the people who hate smitty and blame him, he's the only reason this team has had any success over the past few years. we just dont have the talent to be the best show on turf type team some folks were fooled into believing we could be. i fell for it after 2008 and almost last year but what goes up must come down.

I agree, at least Smittyball has been 'resilient' in his plan of getting this team to the playoffs frequently despite doofus TDs inability to draft and sign players to contracts. If I had to take the lesser of two evils, I would roll with Smittyball.

It's funny because you actually believe this.

At the end of the day, a lot of teams over think the draft. Sometimes it is just simpler to look at the players, and pick who you think would be a monster. Its basically just a game of evaluating talent.

Look back at half the mocks from the best 3 years. Most of them would have gotten us better talent.

It may be funny, but I think a 3 year old could have added as much talent to this team via the draft as TD has….

Just listening to blank yesterday talk about that he thinks smitty lost his way in having his style of team...hard nose, tough defensive line, ball control, conservative, power running game.....everything we already know, sounds like smitty gave away some room to TDs more flash and style, heavy pass,....WRs and CBs

Which is a concern because you have 2 schools of thought, and the head coach should rule on that....and then add in Nolan's vision and Koetters

Definitely a make or break year for both

I agree with your post. Honestly both a tough run style or pass happy offense will work if you have an OL that can block and pass protect and both fail with our current OL