Blank Pretty Much Said 2014 Is A Make Or Break Year For Td And Smitty

J-Wall

I'm a big fan of both Smitty and TD, but even if we didn't have this debacle of a season, I'd be the first in line to say that not winning by the end of next season is enough reason for change. Forget windows of opportunities, at some point you have to either sh*t or get off the potty and we've been sitting here farting long enough.

“I have complete confidence and faith in these two guys and their staffs,” Blank said. “I think they’ll be objective. They’ll be intellectually honest and transparent in identifying and working through the issues as they see them and will solve them before the 2014 season.”

What if they don't...

It simply means he believes smitty can get the job next season..nothing more, nothing less..of course he is on the hot seat and smitty is well aware of that..

Smitty is on the hot seat, but I almost believe he doesn't care. I mean he coaches through his whole contract, he didn't quit like Petrino, so he did his end of the deal. Nothing about Coach Smith makes me believe that he cares. I see a guy you could put a tape record of last week's interview and just press play for every interview. The guy has no emotion anymore. 2008, he was determined and willing to put a winner on the field.

I'm a big fan of both Smitty and TD, but even if we didn't have this debacle of a season, I'd be the first in line to say that not winning by the end of next season is enough reason for change. Forget windows of opportunities, at some point you have to either sh*t or get off the potty and we've been sitting here farting long enough.

"Even if we didn't have this debacle this season", meaning what exactly? "Not winning" what?

"Even if we didn't have this debacle this season", meaning what exactly? "Not winning" what?

We came into a season with high hopes of getting to the next level. Then we lost Ewing. Then we lost Mike Johnson. Then we lost Biermann. Then we lost Weatherspoon. Then we lost Roddy. Then we lost Julio. Then we lost Jackson. Then we lost Baker. We were one yard short of winning in New Orleans (again). We gave Miami a comeback victory after going for it on fourth instead of kicking a field goal. We played prevent defense against the Jets after going for it on fourth instead of kicking a field goal. We were swept by the Panties and Stains and beat by Tampax. HD83 tipped our chance for a moral victory into Bowman's hands for a walk-off pick six. Matt was blown up nine times in the final game. We won four games. Four. And because of our strength of schedule, we pick at six instead of three in the draft.

This is the short list of why the season was a "debacle". I'm not hating, so don't lump in with the trolls because of my choice of words. I'm honestly optimistic that we will win the NFCS next year.

That's quite a leap by the OP, that said, folks on this MB want him gone yesterday. Sometimes the coach is limited by his roster. You have to play to your strengths, or in some cases, your least glaring weaknesses. We are stacked at skill positions on offense...that's pretty much it. Everyone else played like depth players rather than impact players for the most part.

Can we just sign some **** personnel coaches already? So we can focus on them, and stop trying to predict the future of Smitty and TD...but for the record I think Smitty would be the first to go. Followed by one more year for TD to regroup and if he fails...then later bro

I think it's pretty much a given that if things don't turn around next year that Smith and/or Dimitroff will be gone. I'm known around here as a big supporter of Mike Smith and I do think he will turn this team around next year but if he doesn't, even I would probably say it's time to move on. I just think it would have been premature to let him go after this season given the circumstances involved.

laugh.png hopefully we have gotten all the air out by now LOL. The motherload turd is on its way in 2014biggrin.png

Edited by HASHBROWN3

Problem with Mike Smith is that he's a very good head football coach in that he can run a football team, he is very organized, the team has good chemistry, but he isn't a creative football mind and doesn't make good adjustments in games because of that. When he has called the plays, they've been amazingly bland and predictable. We needed to get Koetter, who helped, but he isn't great either -- Smith is just comfortable with him from working in JAX together. We need a creative OC who can put Roddy White, Julio Jones, Jacquizz Rodgers, and hopefully a spark plug rookie like De'Anthony Thomas in positions to make great plays consistently. We need Smith to cede ALL offensive playcalling to a creative O-Coordinator, or a new coach. I would take Mike Sherman who was just fired in Miami as an asst. OC.

Problem with Thomas Dimitroff is that he's a very smart guy, he can run a football team, he is very organized, he can build a team with good chemistry and take them out of a state of rubble and chaos, but he is very predictable and can't draft worth crap. He's been 50/50 in Round 1 when the pool of players is great so it is hard to miss when you do your homework, but after that he just focuses on those "good chemistry, hard working" guys who aren't special players on an NFL field. If Dimitroff was the lead recruiter for an FCS college team, he'd build a championship team. But as the GM of an NFL team, he passes over most of the super talented players because they don't fit his good boy mold. Then he also misses on the other half because he's horrid at drafting. He has tried to cover this up with "bold" moves in free agency, but half of those have been stinkers too: Ray Edwards over Charles Johnson.......Steven Jackson over drafting a RB in a class that had Eddie Lacy, Le'Veon Bell, Gio Bernard, Zac Stacy, Andre Ellington......Osi Umenyiora over keeping John Abraham.

If the Dolphins had taken Matt Ryan #1 so we took Glenn Dorsey at #3 who we were choosing between, Dimitroff would be gone already. Ryan plays well enough most of the time to get us a winning season, despite the roster being pretty poor compared to actual contenders. Even ones with $100M QBs like Green Bay, Denver, Baltimore, New England.

laugh.png hopefully we have gotten all the air out by now LOL. The motherload turd is on its way in 2014biggrin.png

I think TD & Smitty can change it all with their best offseason and season. We will have an easier schedule next year since we finished last in our division this year and Julio, Roddy, Spoon will be healthy, and our running game shouldn't rely on SJax but instead maybe a good young RB like Ben Tate or a talented RB on a prove it deal like Darren McFadden.

Cutting Asante, SJax, Osi, Kroy and signing: DT BJ Raji, OT Michael Oher, DE Jabaal Sheard, RB Darren McFadden, trading up to #2 (+ 2015 #1) and getting Clowney....taking an OG like Cyril Richardson in Round 2, taking a TE like Austin Seferian-Jenkins in Round 3, taking an offensive weapon like De'Anthony Thomas in Round 4, etc.

The best quote from the Blank presser:

"Well, I would certainly say a playoff season and a winning season," Blank said. "I would say this and I think this is important for our fans to understand is that I've made this quite public in the past: My goal as the owner, the steward, the conduit for the fans is to put rings on the fingers of our players for Atlanta ... and that has not changed.

"And if I felt for any version of a New York minute that we didn't have the right leadership and ability, capability in that building to make that happen in 2014, we would make additional changes. I don't think those changes are necessary because I think we do have ability in the building, but that goal and that desire is my standard.

"It's not the standard of a 'B' ... it's the standard of an 'A.'"

Edited by dirtybgirl

I think TD & Smitty can change it all with their best offseason and season. We will have an easier schedule next year since we finished last in our division this year and Julio, Roddy, Spoon will be healthy, and our running game shouldn't rely on SJax but instead maybe a good young RB like Ben Tate or a talented RB on a prove it deal like Darren McFadden.

Cutting Asante, SJax, Osi, Kroy and signing: DT BJ Raji, OT Michael Oher, DE Jabaal Sheard, RB Darren McFadden, trading up to #2 (+ 2015 #1) and getting Clowney....taking an OG like Cyril Richardson in Round 2, taking a TE like Austin Seferian-Jenkins in Round 3, taking an offensive weapon like De'Anthony Thomas in Round 4, etc.

Anything is possible thats the beauty of the nfl. But for us to come back and make headway in the playoffs it won't necessarily take the perfect storm, but a lot of things would have to go right...

not sure where you get win it or you re out from. it sounds more like that he has confidence that they will right the ship and get us back in the direction we were heading before this season, which is getting to the playoffs and having a chance to go to the SB.