A Tdwii Observation: Matt Ryan - It's Time To Grow Up...

Does that mean I don't want ryan to get pizzed? Heck no. I love when ryan gets pizzed and has some fire in his eyes. I know the dude has fire in his belly and is a fierce competitor but for God sakes matt drop the choir boy Bchit and lets see some smoke coming out of your ears bro!!

I totally agree with this...and unfortunately I think a lot of this is a by-product of the Petrino-Vick year. I think our current front office was initially told when they got their respective jobs to pursue only high character players....and while the Falcons obviously don't want any Aaron Hernandezs on the team we need to widen our circle in terms of players choices...i.e...guys who may have had a scrape or two with the law prior to coming here.

We're just a soft team....soft all over. Soft front office, soft coaching, soft scheming, soft players.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who else besides me would absolutely LOVE to see Ryan critic Muskrat Finest line up behind Trueblood, Konz, Holmes and Reynolds with the NFLs worst running game to back him up, the teams #3,#4 and #5 WRs to throw to and let us critique him on why he isn't throwing deep balls to WRs that can't get open downfield, when he is getting pounded on most every drop back with a ferocious pass rush before he even sets to throw.

I think this would be about the only thing that could knock some sense into him. Of course, he'd be taken off the field on the stretcher by mid first quarter but I'm sure that'd be enough for him to comprehend the situation Ryan was dealing with this season. From his hospital bed he could adjust his perspective a little bit.

Who else besides me would absolutely LOVE to see Ryan critic Muskrat Finest line up behind Trueblood, Konz, Holmes and Reynolds with the NFLs worst running game to back him up, the teams #3,#4 and #5 WRs to throw to and let us critique him on why he isn't throwing deep balls to WRs that can't get open downfield, when he is getting pounded on most every drop back with a ferocious pass rush before he even sets to throw.

I think this would be about the only thing that could knock some sense into him. Of course, he'd be taken off the field on the stretcher by mid first quarter but I'm sure that'd be enough for him to comprehend the situation Ryan was dealing with this season. From his hospital bed he could adjust his perspective a little bit.

Says the butthurt king from the branch he's standing on and sawing.

Thread Epitaph

Wanted to wrap my thoughts after reading feedback here and also clarify some points. Alot of good dialogue/discussion.

1. Whether I think Ryan can bring a SB to Atlanta or not, isn't at issue. I still think he can be that guy...conditions have to be right, but I don't think he prevents us from being a SB caliber team. But given the contract he signed, he's going to be here for a long time. He's not getting traded, he's the guy that the Falcons for better or for worse have cast their lot with. His improvement should simply be limited to the mechanics of the QB position, it should also be focused on his ability to own and inspire the locker room.

2. Blame isn't a piece of pie. It doesn't get doled out in terms of percentages out of 100%, i.e; 'Dimitroff - 38%, Smith - 31%, Ryan 31%'. But there are pillars of NFL franchise structures that assume the brunt/load of the responsibility for the success/failure of the team. Ryan is installed as one of those pillars. In addition, his contract places him amongst the elite at the position. No matter the mechanics of how a season goes down, if Ryan isn't at the center of that dynamic and excuses are allowed to be made for why the performance of the Falcons shouldn't fall squarely on his shoulders...then the whole framework for this franchise shows weakness. Personal accountability has never been an issue with Ryan – if there was an issue with my original post, I think it was the notion that he wouldn’t hold himself personally accountable. I know he does. But how well does he hold others accountable? I have no doubt he knows this season is on him, but if he doesn't make that locker room beholden and accountable to him...that's where I see a deficiency.

3. Chicken s**t into chicken salad: I saw this reference a couple of times and why it was seemingly insurmountable for Ryan to make chicken salad. Exhibit A is Tom Brady.

- Wes Welker allowed to leave via FA.

- Gronkowski misses half the season along with Shane Vereen

- Hernandez is gone for murder charge.

- Brady sacked 40 times (to Ryan’s 44)

- RB carousel (LaGerrette Blount and Brandon Bolden combined for 1233 YFS and 10 TD’s)

- Patriots two best defensive players (Meyo/Wilfork) played 10 games combined.

…and yet the Patriots had last weekend off. Brady was the author of two of the most memorable moments of the NFL season (game winning TD to Kenbrell Thompkins – a 2013 UDFA, against the Saints, and the jaw dropping comeback against Manning and the Broncos).

Look at Manning – he was missing Ryan Clady most of the season his all-pro level LT and Von Miller, perhaps the best most disruptive defensive player on the planet. You can throw Champ Bailey in there as well although, he’s past his prime. During training camp, the Broncos struggled to field the position of C. He was dominant and the Broncos were dominant regardless.

I know that these guys are the best. Ryan is paid like them though (better than them actually). This is his measuring stick. For both, failure was not an option they allowed themselves or their team to take or buy into. For Ryan…it turned out that it was.

Does the QB get an inordinate amount of the credit/blame? If he does, well he also gets an inordinate amount of the payroll. It balances out. The more the QB gets, the less chicken salad there is. If Ryan can only work with chicken salad, that presents a problem because when you are being paid like him, part of your job is making the ingredients better than they are. Am I saying the dye is cast on his career with respect to his ability to take a motley crew and turn them into something more than they are…or a solid crew and turn them into champions? No – but this did not happen this year and that’s what you pay a QB $20M+/year for.

One of the replies that I thought was spot-on was this one. ‘We have to let Ryan feel the criticism, so that he can develop that desperate sense of urgency’. While I would word it differently to make it less about us fans and more about that desperate sense of urgency. That urgency needs to be conveyed and transmitted throughout the entire organization…and it has to emanate from him. In all the other years of Ryan’s career, he had to go into the off-season overcoming a loss for the most part. Whether it was 2013 against SF, or 2012’s whitewashing against the Giants or 2011’s loss at the hand of the Packers and Aaron Rodgers. But this year was about a system wide failure. And for Ryan, he has to be honest about his complete role in that failure – whether that is on the field, off the field, in the locker room, in the media and how he needs to go about effecting his own change and by consequence, how that change affects the Falcons.

This off-season is an opportunity for him. Let’s see if he takes advantage of it.

That urgency needs to be conveyed and transmitted throughout the entire organization…and it has to emanate from him. In all the other years of Ryan’s career, he had to go into the off-season overcoming a loss for the most part. Whether it was 2013 against SF, or 2012’s whitewashing against the Giants or 2011’s loss at the hand of the Packers and Aaron Rodgers. But this year was about a system wide failure. And for Ryan, he has to be honest about his complete role in that failure – whether that is on the field, off the field, in the locker room, in the media and how he needs to go about effecting his own change and by consequence, how that change affects the Falcons.

This off-season is an opportunity for him. Let’s see if he takes advantage of it.

With Falcons likely 'rebuilding' the next couple years, I don't see a sense of urgency being created. Plus, Ryan just got a nice new contract last year. No impending doom in the near future.

No longer is it Superbowl or Bust. It's let's do better than 4-12. If we go 8-8, it will be pats on the back all around.

With Falcons likely 'rebuilding' the next couple years, I don't see a sense of urgency being created. Plus, Ryan just got a nice new contract last year. No impending doom in the near future.

No longer is it Superbowl or Bust. It's let's do better than 4-12. If we go 8-8, it will be pats on the back all around.

sad but true

Thread Epitaph

Wanted to wrap my thoughts after reading feedback here and also clarify some points. Alot of good dialogue/discussion.

1. Whether I think Ryan can bring a SB to Atlanta or not, isn't at issue. I still think he can be that guy...conditions have to be right, but I don't think he prevents us from being a SB caliber team. But given the contract he signed, he's going to be here for a long time. He's not getting traded, he's the guy that the Falcons for better or for worse have cast their lot with. His improvement should simply be limited to the mechanics of the QB position, it should also be focused on his ability to own and inspire the locker room.

2. Blame isn't a piece of pie. It doesn't get doled out in terms of percentages out of 100%, i.e; 'Dimitroff - 38%, Smith - 31%, Ryan 31%'. But there are pillars of NFL franchise structures that assume the brunt/load of the responsibility for the success/failure of the team. Ryan is installed as one of those pillars. In addition, his contract places him amongst the elite at the position. No matter the mechanics of how a season goes down, if Ryan isn't at the center of that dynamic and excuses are allowed to be made for why the performance of the Falcons shouldn't fall squarely on his shoulders...then the whole framework for this franchise shows weakness. Personal accountability has never been an issue with Ryan – if there was an issue with my original post, I think it was the notion that he wouldn’t hold himself personally accountable. I know he does. But how well does he hold others accountable? I have no doubt he knows this season is on him, but if he doesn't make that locker room beholden and accountable to him...that's where I see a deficiency.

3. Chicken s**t into chicken salad: I saw this reference a couple of times and why it was seemingly insurmountable for Ryan to make chicken salad. Exhibit A is Tom Brady.

- RB carousel (LaGerrette Blount and Brandon Bolden combined for 1233 YFS and 10 TD’s)

…and yet the Patriots had last weekend off. Brady was the author of two of the most memorable moments of the NFL season (game winning TD to Kenbrell Thompkins – a 2013 UDFA, against the Saints, and the jaw dropping comeback against Manning and the Broncos).

Look at Manning – he was missing Ryan Clady most of the season his all-pro level LT and Von Miller, perhaps the best most disruptive defensive player on the planet. You can throw Champ Bailey in there as well although, he’s past his prime. During training camp, the Broncos struggled to field the position of C. He was dominant and the Broncos were dominant regardless.

I know that these guys are the best. Ryan is paid like them though (better than them actually). This is his measuring stick. For both, failure was not an option they allowed themselves or their team to take or buy into. For Ryan…it turned out that it was.

Does the QB get an inordinate amount of the credit/blame? If he does, well he also gets an inordinate amount of the payroll. It balances out. The more the QB gets, the less chicken salad there is. If Ryan can only work with chicken salad, that presents a problem because when you are being paid like him, part of your job is making the ingredients better than they are. Am I saying the dye is cast on his career with respect to his ability to take a motley crew and turn them into something more than they are…or a solid crew and turn them into champions? No – but this did not happen this year and that’s what you pay a QB $20M+/year for.

One of the replies that I thought was spot-on was this one. ‘We have to let Ryan feel the criticism, so that he can develop that desperate sense of urgency’. While I would word it differently to make it less about us fans and more about that desperate sense of urgency. That urgency needs to be conveyed and transmitted throughout the entire organization…and it has to emanate from him. In all the other years of Ryan’s career, he had to go into the off-season overcoming a loss for the most part. Whether it was 2013 against SF, or 2012’s whitewashing against the Giants or 2011’s loss at the hand of the Packers and Aaron Rodgers. But this year was about a system wide failure. And for Ryan, he has to be honest about his complete role in that failure – whether that is on the field, off the field, in the locker room, in the media and how he needs to go about effecting his own change and by consequence, how that change affects the Falcons.

GOAT POST

If this team and FO sees a 8-8 season as a positive, it needs to be gutted.

Thread Epitaph

Other players stepped up. It's simple. If in all those scenarios that you gave examples of, it the players behind those that went down played poorly the teams wouldn't be in the position they are now.

Would you agree that Holmes stepped up in replacing Baker?

Would you agree Peter Konz stepped up in replacing McClure?

Seems really simple....

Did Drew Davis/Darius Johnson step up when Roddy missed his games?

Did Jacquizz Rodgers step up when Steven Jackson went out?

Honestly answer those. And if you can, and it all leads back to Matt Ryan, I'm begging to know how.

Readers here who believe they have the utmost faith and appreciation for Matt Ryan, really don't expect a lot of the player. They scream foul if you refer to him as a game manager, but it's apparent that people think Ryan needs all the parts in place around him......essentially the very essence of a game manager.

So Matt Ryan isn't Tom Brady is the new argument.

Expectations are just stupid around here.

Matt Ryan isn't the greatest QB to ever play the game, so despite the fact that he didn't have a great OL, which. Brady has always had, and the possibly the greatest Coach in NFL history, and he got paid market value for a top tier QB, he deserves as much blame as Smitty and TD. Oh yeah, he's also played less than half the time Brady has.

I'm sure we all know for a fact Tom Brady would have taken this falcons team to the Super Bowl if we had him, with Mike Smith coaching and the rest of the 2013 roster.

Matt Ryan isn't the greatest QB to ever play the game, so despite the fact that he didn't have a great OL, which. Brady has always had, and the possibly the greatest Coach in NFL history, and he got paid market value for a top tier QB, he deserves as much blame as Smitty and TD. Oh yeah, he's also played less than half the time Brady has.

I'm sure we all know for a fact Tom Brady would have taken this falcons team to the Super Bowl if we had him, with Mike Smith coaching and the rest of the 2013 roster.

Why shouldn't Ryan be compared against the games best QB's?

Readers here who believe they have the utmost faith and appreciation for Matt Ryan, really don't expect a lot of the player. They scream foul if you refer to him as a game manager, but it's apparent that people think Ryan needs all the parts in place around him......essentially the very essence of a game manager.

I'm not screaming "foul" because you're calling Ryan a game manager. I think he's better than that though. I think a prime example of a game manager is Alex Smith or Joe Flacco. I think Ryan is flirting in between game manager and difference maker. Ryan owns the offense and runs it and he makes lots of great throws and doesn't make many mistakes. For instance, I think if a game manager goes down, the team could essentially "survive" without him. However, if Ryan goes down, the Falcons are completely doomed. Even if Julio, Roddy, and Gonzo are healthy. I don't think Ryan is in the same class as Brady, Manning, or Brees but he's not overrated either. I think he's a top 10 QB.

Edited by JD dirtybird21

Other players stepped up. It's simple. If in all those scenarios that you gave examples of, it the players behind those that went down played poorly the teams wouldn't be in the position they are now.

Would you agree that Holmes stepped up in replacing Baker?

Would you agree Peter Konz stepped up in replacing McClure?

Seems really simple....

Did Drew Davis/Darius Johnson step up when Roddy missed his games?

Did Jacquizz Rodgers step up when Steven Jackson went out?

Honestly answer those. And if you can, and it all leads back to Matt Ryan, I'm begging to know how.

TDWII?

Thread Epitaph

Pompous Windbag

If Tom Brady was the Falcons QB this year and all the other pieces around him were exactly the same, had Brady somehow managed to stay healthy (which is dubious with all the QB hits our OL gave up) Brady would have had worse stats that Ryan and we probably would have only won a couple of games.

Tom Brady is a terrible, irratic QB when under constant pressure throughout a game. Can you imagine if Brady had to play under those conditions throughout an entire season? Furthermore, Brady only lost two weapons this year and had an off year. Matt Ryan lost his starting RB, 2 starting OTs, starting OG, both starting WRs, his starting FB, was sacked more and STILL put up better numbers than Brady in 2013.

Ryan was simply amazing given the circumstances.

Brady has a quick release.

Also, I've seen Ryan hang on to the ball too long more times that I'd like. Sometimes you gotta take the risk. But at the same time I understand being w/o a healthy Roddy and Julio does take away from Ryan's confidence to put it up there...

Edited by Aggressive Pacifist!