So Many Possibilities.

JiveAF

I'm just excited guys. I post a lot of new threads about the same topic and I don't mean to be repetitive but the possibilities and hopes we have..just with free-agency..

Lamarr Houston, Orakpo, Hardy, Linval Joseph, Marcel Darreus..etc.

I for some reason, really want to try to get Lamarr Houston AND Orakpo, and even Linval Joseph or Marcel..

Draft Greg Robinson, or Cameron Irving, then Cyril Richardson..

man..

Are we going to be able to afford Orakpo or Dareus? I haven't really looked into how much they're going to cost.

I can't remember which post but somebody showed how we could get close to 30 million under the cap after cuts and restructuring Roddy. So yes I believe we can afford one really big signing plus a couple of other solid ones

I'm excited about the possibilities as well. While this years FAs aren't impressive in volume there are some good DTs that can help us like Melton, Joseph and the dude from the Ravens.

Also, this draft seems custom built for us. the Offensive line talent in this years draft goes all the way to the 5th round. We could go from famine to feast in one draft if we play our cards right.

I would sign A DT to put next to Peters, then draft the best DE we can find in round 1.

Let Osi and Mass (and Goodman, Maponga) compete and if Mass wins out, cut Osi.

Melton is another to consider. Funny how people forget Melton was arguably the bst penetrating DT in the NFL before his injury.

I can't remember which post but somebody showed how we could get close to 30 million under the cap after cuts and restructuring Roddy. So yes I believe we can afford one really big signing plus a couple of other solid ones

That 30 number is correct, but do not get your hopes up.

At best you're looking at

5 for Peters

8 for Houston

5-6 for Joseph

8-9 for Orakpo

12 for Hardy

6-7 for Dareus

Add in a JJ extension, which I think would be wise to do this year for both parties.

You then have to sign replacements for roughly 10 open spots.

Guest King Jigsaw

Well yeah, we can afford any one single free agent this year but it's the longevity of the deals that worry me. We have to weigh out is it better to get a top DT and pay him or get a lesser name and also turn to the draft. If Dareus demands top dollars we should go after someone else. Can't forget about Julio's contract.

I'm just excited guys. I post a lot of new threads about the same topic and I don't mean to be repetitive but the possibilities and hopes we have..just with free-agency..

Lamarr Houston, Orakpo, Hardy, Linval Joseph, Marcel Darreus..etc.

I for some reason, really want to try to get Lamarr Houston AND Orakpo, and even Linval Joseph or Marcel..

Draft Greg Robinson, or Cameron Irving, then Cyril Richardson..

man..

Alex Mack Linval Joseph or LeMarr Houston I have mentioned any 2 of of those 3 would instantly upgrade serious area of needs right there.

Draft I'd go OT Matthews then Gabe Jackson.

O-line LT Baker LG Blalock C Mack RG Jackson RT Matthews and you also have Bakers replacement set and ready on Bakers release in the near future.

D-line LDE Goodman UT Joseph NT Peters RDE Umenyiora/Mass

Alex Mack Linval Joseph or LeMarr Houston I have mentioned any 2 of of those 3 would instantly upgrade serious area of needs right there.

Draft I'd go OT Matthews then Gabe Jackson.

O-line LT Baker LG Blalock C Mack RG Jackson RT Matthews and you also have Bakers replacement set and ready on Bakers release in the near future.

D-line LDE Goodman UT Joseph NT Peters RDE Umenyiora/Mass

I can't see the Falcons making their first 3 offseason moves on the offense. Biggest FA, 1st round, and 2nd round. I think we will see a 2-2 split on offense and defense. Like Mack-Matthews and Linval-Murphy or something like that

I can't see the Falcons making their first 3 offseason moves on the offense. Biggest FA, 1st round, and 2nd round. I think we will see a 2-2 split on offense and defense. Like Mack-Matthews and Linval-Murphy or something like that

The more and more I think about it the o-line is more of a train wreck to me I just want to sit back and know I have done everything in my power as an owner to protect my investment and add 3 pieces in Mack Jackson and Matthews that are there for the long haul.

I understand the 2/2 split as I was much the same but as of late I have changed my mind.If we can give Ryan more time he has proven regardless of the defense he can slice & dice them thats my whole reasoning for the 3 o-lineman 1 d-lineman split.

Edited by kiwifalcon

The more and more I think about it the o-line is more of a train wreck to me I just want to sit back and know I have done everything in my power as an owner to protect my investment and add 3 pieces in Mack Jackson and Matthews that are there for the long haul.

I understand the 2/2 split as I was much the same but as of late I have changed my mind.If we can give Ryan more time he has proven regardless of the defense he can slice & dice them thats my whole reasoning for the 3 o-lineman 1 d-lineman split.

I agree our line sucks but this is highly one dimensional thinking. Nolan isn't going to let Blank just give him the middle finger again. Nolan had 6 rookies playing last year. Most of them late rounders or UDFA. He deserves some talent as well.

Our Dline sucks just as much as our Oline. We won't go anywhere if you only fix one of them.

That 30 number is correct, but do not get your hopes up.

At best you're looking at

5 for Peters

8 for Houston

5-6 for Joseph

8-9 for Orakpo

12 for Hardy

6-7 for Dareus

Add in a JJ extension, which I think would be wise to do this year for both parties.

You then have to sign replacements for roughly 10 open spots.

I think you are overestimating some of these guys value. Peters had two major injuries in 3 years and his numbers are far from overwhelming. Houston has all of 16 career sacks in 4 years no one is paying him 8 million a year for that. Hardy is about the only one I agree with but he won't be a target history shows us his price is too rich for TDs taste.

I think you are overestimating some of these guys value. Peters had two major injuries in 3 years and his numbers are far from overwhelming. Houston has all of 16 career sacks in 4 years no one is paying him 8 million a year for that. Hardy is about the only one I agree with but he won't be a target history shows us his price is too rich for TDs taste.

DT cap hits

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/defensive-tackle/limit-25/

DE cap hits( Houston is a 3-4 DE IIRC. They aren't paid for sacks)

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/defensive-end/limit-25/

Houston does EVERYTHING you want a DE/DT to do. He's extremely strong against the run. He can play as a 4-3 DE or DT, 3-4 he can play DE. He's still a solid pass rusher. I'd pay him 8 mil a year right now. He's my #1 free agent target for this team.

All of that is meaningless since none of those players are widely considered to be among the top players at their position. Houston is good but he's no disruptive force a la Justin smith. Joseph is good but he is no Suh McCoy or Nagata. I'm just saying I don't feel they will command the salaries you suggested. Plus if you look at last year's free agent signings last year aside from Wallace and Williams nobody got paid like they thought they would teams are starting to be more frugal when it comes to free agency

All of that is meaningless since none of those players are widely considered to be among the top players at their position. Houston is good but he's no disruptive force a la Justin smith. Joseph is good but he is no Suh McCoy or Nagata. I'm just saying I don't feel they will command the salaries you suggested. Plus if you look at last year's free agent signings last year aside from Wallace and Williams nobody got paid like they thought they would teams are starting to be more frugal when it comes to free agency

Notice how the salaries I projected are about midway through that list? Not sure why you're bringing up Ngata and Justin Smith

Notice how the salaries I projected are about midway through that list? Not sure why you're bringing up Ngata and Justin Smith

I'm on my phone and when j click on the links it took me to the top of the list. Anyway I mentioned those players because they are at or near the top of the league at their positions as a reference when trying to project how much this year's FA will get. Justin smith for instance didn't even make 6 million this year. Also like I said if you look and last year's free agents most did not get the big contracts they were seeking and settled for a lot less. With a flat cap projected for the next couple of years teams are being more careful with their money. I look for Graham Hardy and possibly Mack to score big after that not many will get close to big money.

I'm on my phone and when j click on the links it took me to the top of the list. Anyway I mentioned those players because they are at or near the top of the league at their positions as a reference when trying to project how much this year's FA will get. Justin smith for instance didn't even make 6 million this year. Also like I said if you look and last year's free agents most did not get the big contracts they were seeking and settled for a lot less. With a flat cap projected for the next couple of years teams are being more careful with their money. I look for Graham Hardy and possibly Mack to score big after that not many will get close to big money.

That's just a foolish way to look at it. No way these guys go for 3 and 4 million.

Just to put it in perspective my projected cap hit lines up with guys like rred bryant, mebane, babs, ppickett, dunlap, clemons, and desmond bryant. Hardly the cream of the crop.

If we could somehow snag hardy, byrd, and de la puente... Well.. I'd be ecstatic

Well, there is 26m a year payday, so dont hold your breath. Hardy 12m,Byrd @ 9m, De la Puente @ 5m.

I would bring back Babs and Peters, Sign Starks or Joseph and draft a DT in round 2 - 4. Draft a guy like Tuitt in round 1, and the DL is stacked.