"i Don't Think We Were As Tough As We Needed To Be"

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that hurts the most is that the falcons wasted high draft picks on guys who can't perform at this level. If the Falcons FO such as Smitty and TD were as good as they think they are, they would have picked the right guys in the draft. Not to mention, their horrible free agent decisions as far as who to keep and who to let go. Pretty much they have been cuddled by their above average performances the past 5 years and forgot to realize that the NFL isn't going to ease up on you.

Matt Ryan, getting pounded on all season long, was one tough SOB. Most any other NFL QB would have been on IR by midseason had they been beaten on like that during the season. How Matt Ryan endured one bone crushing hit after another all year without missing any time is extraordinary. Otherwise, I agree the rest of the team wasn't as tough as we'd have liked them to be, especially the lines.

Conversely, one thing none of them did was give up....in past decades I've witnessed Falcon teams totally give up, but this 2013 squad fought to the bitter end and for they all should be commended.

Matt Ryan, getting pounded on all season long, was one tough SOB. Most any other NFL QB would have been on IR by midseason had they been beaten on like that all season. How Matt Ryan endured one bone crushing hit after another all year without missing any time is extraordinary. Otherwise, I agree the rest of the team wasn't as tough as we'd have liked them to be, especially the lines.

Conversely, one thing none of them did was give up....in past decades I've witnessed Falcon teams totally give up, but this 2013 squad fought to the bitter end and for they all should be commended.

The last 4 weeks they really dug in and bag MS all you like as a fan he is a fighter he may have that horrible conservative gene but I'd go into bat for him if I was a player.

The thing that hurts the most is that the falcons wasted high draft picks on guys who can't perform at this level. If the Falcons FO such as Smitty and TD were as good as they think they are, they would have picked the right guys in the draft. Not to mention, their horrible free agent decisions as far as who to keep and who to let go. Pretty much they have been cuddled by their above average performances the past 5 years and forgot to realize that the NFL isn't going to ease up on you.

I can't tell if this is serious or not....

So these guys aren't as good as they think they are? And they're blinded by the success they've built? WHAT?!?!?! "These guys are too successful to realize how much they suck!"

NO ONE nails the draft.

NO ONE nails free agency.

By and large, this team, its owner and FO, is well respected around the league in terms of team-building, talent evaluation and overall quality. One train wreck season doesn't shake that respect....as evidenced by pretty much every article written about our rough year.

Yeah, we know Artie. It's been like the for 4 years now.

Matt Ryan, getting pounded on all season long, was one tough SOB. Most any other NFL QB would have been on IR by midseason had they been beaten on like that during the season. How Matt Ryan endured one bone crushing hit after another all year without missing any time is extraordinary. Otherwise, I agree the rest of the team wasn't as tough as we'd have liked them to be, especially the lines.

It might have something to do with how much you're overexaggerating the hits he took. Did he take a lot of hits and sacks, absolutely. Were they devastating, bone-crunching, horrific, terrible, and whatever other words those prone to hyperbole are want to use? Nah.

If they were, he would have been on IR. They weren't though, so he wasn't.

I have also seen many a Falcon team quit at the end of the season.and I'll give it up for MS. I've never seen his Falcons do that.

As far as team toughness goes to me that starts in practice but I don't know how tough you can practice these days with the new cupcake CBA rules

Surviving the pounding is one thing, actually producing under that kind of pressure is another. Ryan produced under some of the worst conditions. I was concerned that he would turn into David Carr, but instead, he stood tall and lead his offense. Well done, Matt.

I dont blame Arthur Blank for that.

But its been 6 years now. We haven't really been tough in any year. It wasn't a problem isolated to 2013.

Regimes don't just all the sudden become soft.

I don't know......seems to me all those come from behind wins over the last 6 years are one measure of a teams toughness.

Surviving the pounding is one thing, actually producing under that kind of pressure is another. Ryan produced under some of the worst conditions. I was concerned that he would turn into David Carr, but instead, he stood tall and lead his offense. Well done, Matt.

amen, ergo the Matt Ryan is one tough SOB comment.

Amazing that Matt Ryan has only missed 2 starts in 6 seasons enduring 157 sacks and countless more bone crushing hits behind what has been a mediocre OL at best throughout that period.

It might have something to do with how much you're overexaggerating the hits he took. Did he take a lot of hits and sacks, absolutely. Were they devastating, bone-crunching, horrific, terrible, and whatever other words those prone to hyperbole are want to use? Nah.

Now you are underexaggerating. Yes, matt did not take any bone breaking or ligament tearing hits, nor was he rendered unconscious. But he was pounded plenty by lots of large dudes. It doesn't take a real smart man to figure out that Matt operated under very difficult circumstances and put up some very good numbers despite the beating. And despite a pathetic Oline, and without many of his playmakers. Arthur had it right when he said that Ryan was not only physically tough but mentally tough. He was also right that he made some poor throws out of desperation. That he tried to make plays when they weren't there because he was trying to carry the team on his shoulders and force the ball in order to win a ballgame or two. Thats on ryan. But one thing is certain, the time is now to draft tough, strong linemen who can shove some folks out of the way.

Didn't you hear? If Matt Ryan doesn't slide...he'll be killed.

I dont blame Arthur Blank for that.

But its been 6 years now. We haven't really been tough in any year. It wasn't a problem isolated to 2013.

Regimes don't just all the sudden become soft.

That's my biggest problem with our FO and many of the homer fans. The winning in the past has blinded them from many issues we've had, even when we were winning.

Our OL and DL has been weak for years.

We have not been tough or physical in years.

Our depth has been pathetic for years.

KR/PR has been non existent for a few years.

Def overall has been weak.

Offense has been inconsistent.

2nd half collapses for a few years now.

These things didn't just pop up in 13. Winning just masked them.

Honestly the problem with the team has been we thought we'd be rebuilding when Matt got here but immediately after we've been picking late in the draft when we thought we'd have a few years of rebuilding. Teams like the Seahawks and niners had dismal years consecutively and picked up some good players. We didn't have that luxury. Even with Vick really it was low pick then high pick. And when we did pick high we drafted a bust. Hopefully they get it right this draft.

At least they seem to finally see and acknowledge a problem with the lines. Hopefully some big DTs will be brought in (all of ours are FAs anyway) and we get a competent RG and RT. Between the Draft and Free Agency we should be able to fix the lines up pretty good. 5 guys will basically do it. Our left side of the line is set weather we like it or not.

If Konz or Holmes are penciled in as starters at the beginning of camp, then I will gag and acknowledge that some people have no clue.

I think Blank really held back on what took place behind the scenes. I know he still supports both TD and Smitty and rightly so. No owner in his right mind would think of dumping either one with their track record. Our org does get a lot of respect around the league.

That being said, I believe AB made it perfectly clear to to both coach and GM that neglecting the LOS will be a thing of the past. Without a doubt both Smith and Dimitroff had to answer direct questions as to why we could not put high caliber linemen on the field. I am sure the injury word was discussed but you can bet that it was soon followed up with questions about talent evaluation!!

Holmes, Hawley, Konz, Reynolds, Trueblood, Locklear, Schraeder, etc. are in now way solid nfl material right now. Regardless of whether we lost starters Baker and Johnson, the fact that many of these dudes were drafted to solidify our Oline just begs for further examination.

Sure our Oline coach took the shotgun blast, but i dam sure hope TD didn't throw this coach under the bus knowing full well he may very well have blown it himself. I bet AB also asked specifically why we are not drafting bigger,stronger, more powerful linemen on both sides.

I think Smitty truly did want to do it this way but was hijacked to some degree by TD... Whomever TD relied upon in the scouting circles when selecting most of the above named linemen, that guy needs to be given walking papers too.

"I don't think we are as tough as we needed to be" - Arthur Blank

"Your definition of nasty and mine might be different, but a lot of nasty things happen on the line of scrimmage and we did not do well on the line of scrimmage" - Mike Smith

- at least it seems that ownership/management have identified the problem we have seen for the last 3 years - just wish it would have been seen earlier.

At least they seem to finally see and acknowledge a problem with the lines. Hopefully some big DTs will be brought in (all of ours are FAs anyway) and we get a competent RG and RT. Between the Draft and Free Agency we should be able to fix the lines up pretty good. 5 guys will basically do it. Our left side of the line is set weather we like it or not.

If Konz or Holmes are penciled in as starters at the beginning of camp, then I will gag and acknowledge that some people have no clue.

i really wish we could find the biggest dayum Samoan out there - 6'4", 340lbs of sheer terror - tribal tatts up and down the arm and Sampson-length hair - we need a fire plug.