You Guys Want Big And Nasty Right? Read This.

The O.D.B

This should be our guy. I have no idea how he's slipped to 30 on the CBS site (Still top 18 on DraftTek.com). I honestly wouldn't have any problem if we took him at 6. Read the article below and the quotes from his teammates and tell me you don't want this guy on our team.

Source: http://www.mercuryne...ation-sacks-and

Stanford linebacker Trent Murphy among nation's leaders in sacks and nastiness

By Jon Wilner

jwilner@mercurynews.com

POSTED: 12/30/2013 03:09:31 PM PST | UPDATED: 6 DAYS AGO

LOS ANGELES -- Whether outside linebacker Trent Murphy is Stanford's best player and top NFL prospect is subject to debate, but this much is beyond dispute: On a team that relishes old-school football, that batters and bludgeons opponents, Murphy is the meanest, nastiest, orneriest player on the roster.

Just ask ... well, everyone.

"It's not even close," coach David Shaw said. "Shayne Skov is unbelievably intense. But Trent is in his own category. I'm just glad it's not directed at us."

Skov, the fiery linebacker who sports a Mohawk and wears eye black, readily admits he's no match for Murphy on the nasty scale.

"He's actually softened up since he got here," Skov said. "He was like a wolf that's brought into the pound and, surrounded by other dogs, becomes more like one of them."

20131106_041750_murphy2_300.jpg

The dogs thought enough of the wolf to name him a captain for the 2013 season. Always one of the last players off the practice field, Murphy is polite to a fault, self-deprecating and introspective. He even has "a goofy side," according to Skov.

But when the fifth-year senior steps on the field and flips the switch, destruction is sure to follow. His nickname is Yeti, for the Abominable Snowman.

"He's one of the guys who, once in while, you're not sure: Will he go over the edge? But he never does," Shaw said. "What he has, you can cultivate, but you can't manufacture."

Murphy, a first-team All-American who is second in the nation in sacks, acknowledges his nasty streak -- and does it with a smile. It comes from his father, Jerry, a plumbing contractor, recreational weightlifter and former construction worker who adheres to a simple credo: No work, no eat.

Jerry and Laurie Murphy raised seven children in the Lehi community of Mesa, Ariz., a former farming pocket with an Old West flavor. They taught the kids "to look a sucker in the eye, give a firm handshake and let 'em know a Murphy was there," Jerry said.

Asked to describe his father's methods for instilling discipline, Murphy recalled spending hours cleaning the family's 1.5-acre backyard -- a task that included collecting enough dog excrement to fill a garbage can. Jerry surveyed the work and deemed it substandard.

He then dumped out the dog feces and ordered Murphy to do it all over again.

"My dad's the meanest guy I've come across," he said. "I'd be a carbon copy of him if I could."

Murphy grew up riding horses and roping steers. As a teenager, he skinned a rattlesnake.

At 14, he was given the nickname Rhino by his teammates at Brophy Prep. "He hit the seniors so damned hard they had to tell him to calm down," Jerry said.

Although Murphy briefly wrestled a 400-pound steer calf a few years ago during a visit home, he prefers extreme sports (snowboarding, free climbing) for an adrenaline rush.

Either that, or pummeling blockers and quarterbacks.

Murphy rarely draws a yellow flag, but his victims are usually in need of a white one.

"After he first got to Stanford, (Jim) Harbaugh called and said, 'What the **** am I going to do with him?' " Jerry said.

Murphy was part of Stanford's sterling 2009 recruiting class, which included Skov, Zach Ertz, Stepfan Taylor, Tyler Gaffney, Josh Mauro, Ben Gardner and Levine Toilolo.

He spent one year as a redshirt, missed most of 2010 with an injury and then joined the rotation as a third-year sophomore.

Murphy emerged as a force of nature in 2012, combining the strength gained from consuming 2,000-calorie protein shakes with his pterodactyl-like wingspan and his innate aggressiveness.

Which brings us back to Murphy's ornery side. Exactly how does his nasty streak manifest on the field?

"It's an attitude of not wanting to stay blocked," Shaw said.

"It's pursuing the ball more relentlessly than anyone on the team," safety Jordan Richards said.

"You can tackle someone, or you can throw them to the ground. There's hitting the quarterback, and then there's hitting the quarterback."

Edited by The O.D.B

Now after you read this and soak it in, think about this. He played OLB for stanford and only had limited snaps on the line rushing. He spent most of his time with his LB duties and he's decent in coverage. So, he's second in the nation in sacks and was only a part time rusher........what could he have done rushing full time?

I still wouldn't take him till early 2nd if their, and the 3 OGs are gone, at 6 or even in the top 15 I wouldn't draft Murphy

One of our OG targets will be there in the 2nd. I'd be surprised if Trent is. Not saying I couldn't be happy with drafting others like Robinson/Mattews but, Trent is the only DLinemen I'd be happy with taking at 6. I'd go as far as to say I'd might take him over Clowney.

Edited by The O.D.B

One of our OG targets will be there in the 2nd. I'd be surprised if Trent is. Not saying I couldn't be happy with drafting others like Robinson/Mattews but, Trent is the only DLinemen I'd be happy with taking at 6. I'd go as far as to say I'd might take him over Clowney.

yea ur getting a little to over exited with Murphy he isn't worth the 6th ouch. TBH their IS nothing great about him

led nation in sacks as a part time job...

Louis-CK-Scratches-His-Head.gif

Porkay you say no especiallae?

porkay? Especiallae? I hope your not trying to type spanish, and yes he may of led the nation in sacks, but that does not mean he is the best, People praise the SEC so much, so should Michael Sam be a top 10 pick because he was the SEC defensive player of the year?? Nope I don't think so.

I have always liked Trent Murphy. This article makes me like him more. There is no questioning Murphy's toughness, effort and production(in college). Obviously, this guy has all the intangibles that Dimitroff loves as someone pointed out a above.

The question is:

Does Trent Murphy have the speed/strength to be a productive pass rusher on NFL level?

I agree that Murphy is likely not a top 10 pick but I also agree he would likely be gone before Falcons 2nd rounder came around. If Falcons want Trent Murphy, I hope they trade down about 10+ spots.

He would be another nice piece in a hybrid-Nolan defense; great replacement for Kroy perhaps in that he can play OLB in 3-4 and play DE in a 4-3.

But does he make us that much better?

Do we have a player like him, or two, already on the roster?

Would other players at other positions make us a better team?

Is the juice he would give our D worth the "squeeze" of using a high pick on him?

He would be another nice piece in a hybrid-Nolan defense; great replacement for Kroy perhaps in that he can play OLB in 3-4 and play DE in a 4-3.

But does he make us that much better?

Do we have a player like him, or two, already on the roster?

Would other players at other positions make us a better team?

Is the juice he would give our D worth the "squeeze" of using a high pick on him?

all legit questions. I believe you take him if he falls to your 2nd round pick - otherwise, ce la vie....

Don't like him at 6, but i do like him a lot. I think he will definitely be a solid pro. He has great hands for a DE and a sick spin move to go with that. He does what Babineaux doesn't, always makes the tackle when he is in the backfield :).

If for whatever reason we do end up trading back or he does fall to the early 2nd then he would be a guy i would love to have here.

But does he make us that much better? "that much better", I don't know but, I think he'd be a guy that has to be planned for and currently we only have OSI that scares anyone and he needs help to get there.

Do we have a player like him, or two, already on the roster? All our other DEs are DEs only. Murphy can cover for a short bit as well which our others aren't great at so, I don't think we have anyone that brings all the tools he does.

Would other players at other positions make us a better team? It's a team sport so, you don't know until you try. a linemen could make a huge difference in the overall game but, so could a DE that wreaks havoc in the backfield. I do honestly think we are 1 DE and 1 DT away from having a crazy passrush.

Is the juice he would give our D worth the "squeeze" of using a high pick on him? No Squeeze, it's just another pick. you win some you lose some. it's about getting a guy that fits well and can make a difference, not every early 1st rounder is going to be a superstar, teams need reliable contributors too. IMO, yes, he'd be worth it.

After reviewing Murphy and Clowney side by side I see them doing allot of the same things.

Shut down their side on running plays: They are about the same in this area. JC tends to use his agility to slide around the blocker at the last second, while TM tends to drive his blocker toward the RB then disengage and grab the back.

Pass rush: JC deff has more moves and tools at his disposal but once again it's agility vs all out aggression, TM doesn't get very fancy he's just a point A to point B in the fastest way possible type of guy. Both regularly beat doubles and cause amazing havoc in the backfield.

Coverage: Haven't see JC drop back much but, TM is pretty decent, he takes great angles to make throws difficult.

Play Recognition: I'd give the edge to TM here. While JC comes in so fast he occasionally misses what's happening around him TM appears to see the whole field a little better and will stop his rush to cover a leaking receiver or RB. His play recognition reminds me of Worrilow.

Mental Makeup: To be seen.

I'm not saying I know anything but, Trent is talking to me the way JJ. Watt did a few years ago.

This guy reminds me of the Margus Hunt love a lot of posters had last year, and where clamoring for him in the 1st. I think Murphy is better but will fall to the 2nd just like Hunt.

What reminds you of Hunt besides their size? Hunt played at a small school and was just an athletic freak who is really raw. Murphy is a 10x more polished of a player as of right now.

porkay? Especiallae? I hope your not trying to type spanish, and yes he may of led the nation in sacks, but that does not mean he is the best, People praise the SEC so much, so should Michael Sam be a top 10 pick because he was the SEC defensive player of the year?? Nope I don't think so.

moy bian y tu??

On topic:

We need DTs and OTs and OGs more than a DE considering the pick position he falls in. Hes like end of first round/early 2nd round so we would only want him if we traded down...

Edited by FALCONSFANBC

What reminds you of Hunt besides their size? Hunt played at a small school and was just an athletic freak who is really raw. Murphy is a 10x more polished of a player as of right now.

wasn't saying their play style is a like, I was referring to how many posters fell in love with Hunt and wanted us to draft him earlier than where he should go