I Want Scar And Gdawg ( And Others Lol)To Comment On This Lol: Do You Reach For A Player At #6 For Need?

MSalmon

Do you reach for say a Hageman or Tuitt! Or Robinson? ? Talented guys but maybe not #6 overall. Or do you go BPA which could be a guy like Ebron or Watkins. ? Obviously not necessarily a need (right now) but are explosive and could be BPA at our pick.

Btw I want everyone's thoughts lol

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you reach for say a Hageman or Tuitt! Or Robinson? ? Talented guys but maybe not #6 overall. Or do you go BPA which could be a guy like Ebron or Watkins. ? Obviously not necessarily a need (right now) but are explosive and could be BPA at our pick.

Always go BPA for team needs. Sammy Watkins wouldn't be a need, but someone like Ebron would be and he is a top 10 talent. Hageman and Tuitt are not top 10 talents. they are late 1-early 2 talents.

I would not reach - if the talent you target does not equal the draft slot, then trade down a few spots and get what you can get. For example, say you want Hageman and he is #15 on your draft board and probably most others. You can generally always trade a pick (Falcons #1-006 - 1,600pts) IF you are flexible on compensation coming back to you.

Maybe the Lions(#1-010 = 1,300pts) want to jump up and draft Sammy Watkins. The NFL trade value chart says that is worth a late 2nd round pick (#2-060 = 300pts) Obviously the Lions don't hold that pick but they do have the 10th pick in 3rd round(#3-075).

If I want Hageman, instead of reaching for him at #1-006, you drop down to a spot where you could still safely get Hageman and pick up an early 3rd rounder. Of course there is always the small chance that some team surprises you and takes Hageman at picks 7,8 or 9 - but its very doubtful and you have now gotten a marquee pick for your team while still getting the guy you target. Its a good deal for Detroit because the Falcons took a little less than the trade-value chart said and they get their #2 weapon to draw coverage away from Megatron and now Lions have two weapons in receiving game.

Always go BPA for team needs. Sammy Watkins wouldn't be a need, but someone like Ebron would be and he is a top 10 talent. Hageman and Tuitt are not top 10 talents. they are late 1-early 2 talents.

I agree. I'm looking at OL and DL and outside Clowney and Matthews it's not really #6 talent

Watkins is interesting, as you could arguably replace TGs production and boost your return game, as well as groom a low cost replacement for Roddy.

I would not reach - if the talent you target does not equal the draft slot, then trade down a few spots and get what you can get. For example, say you want Hageman and he is #15 on your draft board and probably most others. You can generally always trade a pick (Falcons #1-006 - 1,600pts) IF you are flexible on compensation coming back to you.

Maybe the Lions(#1-010 = 1,300pts) want to jump up and draft Sammy Watkins. The NFL trade value chart says that is worth a late 2nd round pick (#2-060 = 300pts) Obviously the Lions don't hold that pick but they do have the 10th pick in 3rd round(#3-075).

If I want Hageman, instead of reaching for him at #1-006, you drop down to a spot where you could still safely get Hageman and pick up an early 3rd rounder. Of course there is always the small chance that some team surprises you and takes Hageman at picks 7,8 or 9 - but its very doubtful and you have now gotten a marquee pick for your team while still getting the guy you target. Its a good deal for Detroit because the Falcons took a little less than the trade-value chart said and they get their #2 weapon to draw coverage away from Megatron and now Lions have two weapons in receiving game.

That's what raiders did with Miami. Got extra second and moved Down

I agree. I'm looking at OL and DL and outside Clowney and Matthews it's not really #6 talent

Watkins is interesting, as you could arguably replace TGs production and boost your return game, as well as groom a low cost replacement for Roddy.

I think with the Julio coming back he'll eat alot of TG's lost production.

He was on target for a huge year before the injury I really think he''ll pick up alot of TG's slack.

Where we will miss TG is in the red zone and the fact Ryan was never afraid to throw it into tight windows with TG this is the biggest effect i see can he do the same with Toilolo & Coffman is the key here especially inside a tightend red zone under pressure this is the key for me.

Edited by kiwifalcon

I think with the Julio coming back he'll eat alot of TG's lost production.

He was on target for a huge year before the injury I really think he''ll pick up alot of TG's slack.

Where we will miss TG is in the red zone and the fact Ryan was never afraid to throw it into tight windows with TG this is the biggest effect i see can he do the same with Toilolo & Coffman is the key here especially inside a tightend red zone under pressure this is the key for me.

Agree. In this case it's a matter of best playmaker with the #6 pick. Different strategy at this pick, I think you have to be open to multiple positions to get best value. Best case you get Clowney or Matthews. Worse case (if there is a worse case) you get an Ebron or Watkins. Much better than reaching.

Personally I don't think you should ever draft a TE top 10 so Ebron to me is a reach. Watkins would be a waste of a top 10 pick given we already have Julio and White.

Come draft time I think the top 10 rated players will look vastly different to what they do now.

I'd rank them as follows:

Clowney

Matthews

Mack

Personally I don't think you should ever draft a TE top 10 so Ebron to me is a reach. Watkins would be a waste of a top 10 pick given we already have Julio and White.

Come draft time I think the top 10 rated players will look vastly different to what they do now.

I definitely agree the top 10 landscape will change, but I'm hesitant to call adding a playmaker a bad move. White is good, but he's far from explosive and aging and had durability issues. With the rookie cap you can add a guy like Watkins. Who has return ability btw. Also, while I'm not advocating we draft Watkins he has a YAC ability that may be better than Julio's and certainly better than roddy's. TEs are odd lot, but Ebron has immense physical gifts. He'd be the only one I'd even consider.

But one thing to remember is we are losing TG. That's a lot of production, that needs to be replaced, that production can come from a WR or TE

To me, the Non-QBs worth of top 10 value are as follows:

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE (need)
  2. Jake Matthews, OT (need)
  3. Sammy Watkins, WR (non-need)

all the others are top 10 de-facto - because somebody has to fill out the top 10. Obviously I believe Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles will all likely go top 10 - although not really top 10 value. I don't really buy into the Barr hype and think he is better fit for 3-4 scheme. I like Mack but think he is more of a #10-#20 value than top 10.

If Clowney/Matthews are gone, I think the best move is to trade out down to just outside of the top 10 - and pick up either a mid 2nd or mid 3rd round pick.

I'd rank them as follows:

Clowney

Matthews

Mack

I agree using a top 10 pick on a TE is a waste. In the right system Clive Warford could become Jimmy-ese. Both played basketball mostly in high school. Jimmy has more athletic ability but Clive has better hands. I'm comparing them to their Miami days. I was screaming for Atl to draft Jimmy. Of course since I am close to the program I am bias. But Clive can stretch the field. Could get him in the 4th probably

With Matthews and Clowney off the board, TD will likely try to move down. However, the chances of that happening are slim.

At #6, we need to draft the best player available at a position of high demand. In my opinion, that means Erving or Robinson (if they declare).

Erving wouldn't be bpa at a position of need. Robinson could but he is so raw in pass protection that I doubt it

With Matthews and Clowney off the board, TD will likely try to move down. However, the chances of that happening are slim.

At #6, we need to draft the best player available at a position of high demand. In my opinion, that means Erving or Robinson (if they declare).

why are the chances slim that Falcons could trade the #6 pick? with rookie salary caps, its much easier to trade top 10 picks now. I figure the top 2 QBs, Clowney and Matthews will be gone plus one other mystery player(?).

Who figures to be available at #6 overall? either Sammy Watkins or the #3 QB - someone will be interested in moving up for them.

I agree he'd probably want to drop down, but it'll be hard. Not sure Robinson a red-shirt sophomore and Erving a former DT and blew to position would be right guys for # 6 overall if we can't trade down. I'm putting Barr in that category as well.

Cj Mosley if he has a heckuva combine could be in #6 discussion

I agree using a top 10 pick on a TE is a waste. In the right system Clive Warford could become Jimmy-ese. Both played basketball mostly in high school. Jimmy has more athletic ability but Clive has better hands. I'm comparing them to their Miami days. I was screaming for Atl to draft Jimmy. Of course since I am close to the program I am bias. But Clive can stretch the field. Could get him in the 4th probably

Hard to say that. Vernon Davis has been a great pick. Winslow jr. Prior to motorcycles was a beast. He still had productive seasons. Even Ricky Dudley and Kyle Brady, while not putting up jimmy graham stats as most TEs weren't used the way they are now, had long productive careers

Hard to say that. Vernon Davis has been a great pick. Winslow jr. Prior to motorcycles was a beast. He still had productive seasons. Even Ricky Dudley and Kyle Brady, while not putting up jimmy graham stats as most TEs weren't used the way they are now, had long productive careers

here is the thing - Graham and Gronk were 3rd and 2nd rounders respectively. You have three premier guys in this draft - Ebron, Amaro and Seferian-Jenkins - who is the best?

no way would I take a TE in top 10. The juice is not worth the squeeze.

In my opinion, there is no absolute rule for the draft. Every teams situation is different. I have no problem reaching for a player who will fall 3-4 spots later. Obviously a trade back is the best case scenario,but you are risking losing that player.

When it comes to a to picking early in the 1st, i lean towards going a little more BPA than reaching for a guy. So yeah if Watkins is the BPA, then i'd be ok with taking him. But i have no problem "reaching" a few picks for a guy either.

There is still Senior Bowl and combine going on so people are going to rise and fall like crazy from now until draft time.

In my opinion, there is no absolute rule for the draft. Every teams situation is different. I have no problem reaching for a player who will fall 3-4 spots later. Obviously a trade back is the best case scenario,but you are risking losing that player.

When it comes to a to picking early in the 1st, i lean towards going a little more BPA than reaching for a guy. So yeah if Watkins is the BPA, then i'd be ok with taking him. But i have no problem "reaching" a few picks for a guy either.

There is still Senior Bowl and combine going on so people are going to rise and fall like crazy from now until draft time.

Agree

San Fran wasnt winning anything until Alex Smith got his head on correct and used the right way. Gronk and Jimmy Graham are the best TEs in football. 2nd and 3rd round respectively. Aaron Hernandez was a solid pick up in the 4th. And even with them you still dont need a great TE to win. Someone that is solid will due

San Fran wasnt winning anything until Alex Smith got his head on correct and used the right way. Gronk and Jimmy Graham are the best TEs in football. 2nd and 3rd round respectively. Aaron Hernandez was a solid pick up in the 4th. And even with them you still dont need a great TE to win. Someone that is solid will due

Not arguing that, really. It's just a BPA issue. I'd rather take Ebron over a Robinson with the #6 pick if he's BPA and a playmaker over potential alone.

Let me say again, I'm not advocating picking Ebron just looking at scenarios that could develop.

Interestingly enough what if cb was BPA? Yeah we went back to back, but Alford could ge your nickel and you need 4 solid cbs in this league...this is just a question lol