What Is The Most Important Position On The Offensive Line?

So I have been doing a bit of research on ways that the Falcons could fix the offensive line. I know a lot of people are clamoring for a Franchise LT in draft or FA, but after doing a bit of searching, that may not be the avenue that would be best. Looking at the state of the oline this season was a tough to watch, as I saw them get mauled and beaten at every turn. They had flashes of being solid, right before burning out and dying. During the research process, I started noticing the emphasis of the interior lineman, most noticeably the center, was becoming the most important position on the line. As of right now I think the two positions that need to be fixed first would be Center and Right Guard. Here are a few articles I found while researching.

http://www.usatoday....valued/3170721/

http://www.nfl.com/v...O-line-position

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

http://sports.yahoo....d-position.html

https://www.profootb...les-overvalued/

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/30/nfl-offensive-tackles-rethinking-the-blind-side-and-position-value/

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our ENTIRE OL needs updating in this order...

And is assuming we can get one more decent season from Baker and Blalock.

2014=

RG

RT

C

2015=

LT

LG

Agreed. In list of priority I think it goes like this fr the oline.

C

RG

RT

LT

LG

If we can create solid interior push up the middle it will allow Jackson run more effectively, and allow Ryan to step into the pocket better.

I'd take a B+ RG and RT over an A+ LT. If you have a couple of maulers on the right side who can get you 3 or 4 yards on the ground whenever you need it, it takes a lot of pressure off the passblocking. Our biggest problem right now is that we cannot run the ball to save our lives. Last season we got away with it because Clabo played well and Baker played adequately. This season we had two of the worst OTs in the league, and our inability to run the ball consistently allowed every D-lineman we faced to just pin his ears back and try to get to Ryan because they knew they didn't have to worry about stopping the run. Our moron of an OC did nothing to help this by abandoning the run after it got stuffed a few times. We basically had an air raid offense this season. It was ridiculous.

The Center usually calls out assignments

Exactly. Center is pretty much the QB of the OL. Losing the experience McClure had, and the ability to call assignments was probably the most significant loss to the team this season.

I'd take a B+ RG and RT over an A+ LT. If you have a couple of maulers on the right side who can get you 3 or 4 yards on the ground whenever you need it, it takes a lot of pressure off the passblocking. Our biggest problem right now is that we cannot run the ball to save our lives. Last season we got away with it because Clabo played well and Baker played adequately. This season we had two of the worst OTs in the league, and our inability to run the ball consistently allowed every D-lineman we faced to just pin his ears back and try to get to Ryan because they knew they didn't have to worry about stopping the run. Our moron of an OC did nothing to help this by abandoning the run after it got stuffed a few times. We basically had an air raid offense this season. It was ridiculous.

I would take those as well too. Right now, as much as I probably will get heat for it, LT is not our biggest need. Center is followed by RG.

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

RG and RT are our weakest areas. LG/C/RG combo is most important to the line to form a cohesive interior unit and a wall.

So that would mean RG is both in the weakest and most needed. Then you can flip a coin between C (more important but we have something not horrible) or RT (less important but we have nothing).

I'd go legit B+ Center and RG and get a 1M Svitek type RT for the immediate moves.

C have a good look at it without Mclure Ryan's ability to run the hurry up & No Huddle was limited this season and we saw the catastrophic results teams teeing off on our interior and our OT's.

Hence why I want an experienced or a STUD at C build the line from the inside out.

Edited by kiwifalcon

I disagree I don't believe Hawley is serviceable in the middle, nor does he have the experience needed to call the signals from the line. With more emphasis placed on the center it sures up the left side A-Gap area that can be utilized more effectively for passing which our team's scheme is based on. I agree RG is a huge are of need, but without a quality center both A-Gaps would still be weak.

We have no real leadership on the OLine and TD even mentioned we had a problem with leadership in some areas. I have no doubt he was talking about the OLine.

TD tried to move forward with young guys, but he went with too many young guys at the same time. That got worse with Johnson and Baker going down. The young guys were expected to do too much and had no leadership.

I like Hawley at Center, but if we can somehow get Alex Mack at center and move Hawley to RG that will be a huge upgrade. If we can't get Mack we absolutely have to get a very good veteran OLineman that can be the leader for all the young guys. We can't just go with another young guy.

We need LT least of all. However, our LT is not reliable (due to injuries).

Since LT's are, by far, the toughest positions to fill (and the most expensive), we need to take advantage of the opportunity to draft a very good one.

Matthews, Erving and Robinson are all excellent prospects. All three can immediately upgrade that position. The second round should yield another tier of OT's; most of them project to be RT types.

We can address the DL very well via free agency. Players like Soliai, Cody, Joseph, Johnson, Hardy and Bennett have the skills to make our DL much better. Most of them will resign with their present teams, but I suspect that we can have two of them. I also believe that we will have enough cap space to sign a good interior OL. If we are smart in free agency, we can set the draft table for us to have a feast of talent walking through the doors at Flowery Branch.

So, to answer the OP's original question: Which is the most important OL position? Answer: All of them.

Center is in general the most important, but right now RG and RT are what we need most. Hawley wasn't elite but he was much more serviceable than the folks we put at RG and RT, although Schraeder looked decent until Carolina.

Agreed he is more serviceable than anyone at RG and RT, but that still isn't saying much. We have the ability in this off season to fill both the center and right guard positions with quality players. For center I want either Mack or Dietrich-Smith. For RG Jon Asamoah, Geoff Schwartz ,John Jerry, or in the draft Cyril Richardson.

Agreed he is more serviceable than anyone at RG and RT, but that still isn't saying much. We have the ability in this off season to fill both the center and right guard positions with quality players. For center I want either Mack or Dietrich-Smith. For RG Jon Asamoah, Geoff Schwartz ,John Jerry, or in the draft Cyril Richardson.

Only thing with a new center is that I worry about how long it would take him to learn our calls and whatnot. If a center could gel and get the calls in one offseason, then I'm cool with that.

Only thing with a new center is that I worry about how long it would take him to learn our calls and whatnot. If a center could gel and get the calls in one offseason, then I'm cool with that.

Both Centers I believe can handle Koetter's system no problem. Mack is one of the best centers in the league and Dietrich-Smith runs a more complicated offensive scheme in GB

What were these guys learning before McClure left...I swear....this regime is the problem. AB has consistently handed them EVERYTHING to be successful, but somehow, winning seasons and playoffs appearances is enough for them, at least it appears to be that way. This team had the talent on the line and sold it off piece by piece and the only thing to show for their efforts is a playoff game that was barely won and I mean barely.