Sam Baker... Wtf?

Jigglypuff

I just read the rotoworld player news history on Baker since he joined the Falcons and WTF?

1. First off he was the last of the OTs on the board "worth" picking... we had to trade up for him in a desperation move apparently.

1. He has been constantly injuried since he started with us... (bad luck?)

IF we pick an offensive linemen in the first we need to do it early before other teams take all the worthwhile picks and we are stuck with another Sam Baker!!!

I changed my mind and I am not opposed to picking OT in the first round since we obviously can't find value in the later round linemen.

Baker sucks plain and simple. His only decent years came when we changed OC's (rookie year and last year). Now that every opposing team knows what our offensive scheme is Baker has reverted back to being below garbage. The screen game really helped him last year but now everybody knows we are going to do it. I wish TD would've let Baker test the market. He could have saved money because nobody would have wanted him.

Edited by atlbaby

instead of yall being worried about all that we need to pray the dude can heal up and give us atleast 2 2012 seasons.

Baker problem is Dude STAYS Injuried... At the beggining of his rookie season he looked good before the injury.. I remember Baldy wrote a article about him being one of the better OT's in the league before his injury.

My point is.. We need this dude healthy for atleast a couple of years.

There was a run on tackles so we made the move. It was a smart plan since TD wanted someone to protect Matt and grow with him. Unfortunately the injuries have been his downfall, but the idea of what we did was right. We were worried there would be no good tackles left. They were flying off the board.

Baker sucks plain and simple. His only decent years came when we changed OC's (rookie year and last year). Now that every opposing team knows what our offensive scheme is Baker has reverted back to being below garbage. The screen game really helped him last year but now everybody knows we are going to do it. I wish TD would've let Baker test the market. He could have saved money because nobody would have wanted him.

I call the "have your best year in a contract year the "Jeff Blauser effect" - former Braves shortstop that did this - sucked for early years - had one good year in contract year - got re-signed and went right back to sucking. Baker re-signing was a horrible move by Dimitroff and I believe he did moreso to re-affirm his draft pick than actually being honest with himself about what kind of player Baker was and is. We could have had Jermon Bushrod(LT-Bears and formerly of Saints) for the same money - and Bushrod is actually good.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3/12/2013: Signed a six-year, $41.1 million contract. The deal contains $14.25 million guaranteed -- a $10 million signing bonus and each of Baker's first two base salaries. Another $3.9 million is available through escalators. 2014: $3.25 million (+ $4 million option bonus), 2015: $4.5 million, 2016: $5.25 million, 2017: $6.5 million, 2018: $6.6 million, 2019: Free Agent

After 5 years of garbage and playing one average season MEMO to TD!! IF you make a mistake drafting a player dont resign him and make Baker the one of the most overpaid player in the NFL HISTORY!!

3/12/2013: Signed a six-year, $41.1 million contract. The deal contains $14.25 million guaranteed -- a $10 million signing bonus and each of Baker's first two base salaries. Another $3.9 million is available through escalators. 2014: $3.25 million (+ $4 million option bonus), 2015: $4.5 million, 2016: $5.25 million, 2017: $6.5 million, 2018: $6.6 million, 2019: Free Agent

After 5 years of garbage and playing one average season MEMO to TD!! IF you make a mistake drafting a player dont resign him and make Baker the one of the most overpaid player in the NFL HISTORY!!

He's cuttable after next year. He'll never see most of that.