• linebacker - $10.895mm
  • offensive line - $11.126mm
  • punter/kicker - $3.383mm
  • quarterback - $16.086mm
  • running back - $9.074mm
  • safety - $8.021mm
  • tight end - $6.709mm
  • wide receiver - $11.539mm

Now, I'm sure you are saying - "make this falcons related". OK.

Tight End (tag-$6.709mm):

I'm sure that Jimmy Graham's agent is working overtime to make the case that his client should his client be franchised - it should be at the WR position($11.539mm) and not the TE position($6.709mm). I believe Graham would hold out before coming back for a TE franchise tender. Saints will likely get a deal done w/ Graham to avoid the fight.

Defensive End(tag-$12.475mm):

It's a given that Michael Johnson will hit unrestricted free agency because he was franchised this year by Cincy at a 2013 tag of ($11.175mm). His 2014 tag number would be 20% higher than last year or $13.41mm because this is the rule if you were franchised the previous year. The Bengals are not going to franchise him this year. Michael Bennett of the Seahawks will not get franchised either. Arthur Jones of the Ravens is a 3-4 DE (which is more like a D-Tackle) but I don't see the Ravens franchising him, either. Ravens will probably try to get a deal done with Jones but if they cannot, he will probably hit the market. Greg Hardy will likely get tagged IF he cannot come to terms - since Panthers are not in great cap shape, I believe they will focus very early in offseason to get a deal done.

Defensive Tackle(tag - $9.182mm):

I don't see Linval Joseph or Paul Soliali getting tagged as the tag number is hefty. Giants/Dolphins will likely let these guys test free agency if they cannot strike a deal.

Center/Guard/OT (OL tag-$11.126mm)

It is almost impossible to tag interior offensive linemen (center, left guard, right guard) because of the way the franchise tag is done. As everyone knows, the left tackle is the premier position on the offensive line and the top paid centers/guards don't get anywhere near $11mm per year. Therefore, if Cleveland and New Orleans cannot come to terms with Alex Mack or Brian De Puente on long-term deals, then these guys will not be franchised as Mack is probably worth about $6mm/yr an De Puente probably around $4mm/yr or less. I also would expect Jon Asamoah, the right guard from Kansas City to not be franchised either for similiar reasons.

This is why I think we have a shot at Mack because the tag is upwards of $11mm.

He was also very supportive of Rod Chudzinski before he got the boot. He did say he would give Cleveland a shot a matching whatever he receives on the open market, but lets be serious since hes been at cleveland he's endured constant losing, a merry go round of coaches and even an ownership change.

I read the thread without reading who posted it. Realised I really liked the post - concise, informative and well thought out - a rarity for these boards honestly. Kudos GDawg again on a good post - quietly becoming my favourite poster :-)

Btw I thought there was a quality DE (maybe KC?) also coming out if contract - name eludes me right now and I can't access Internet until after I post this.

Edit - it was Justin Houston - I believe KC have him under contract for one more year.

Edited by primetime

Guest fibonacci

Joseph & Mack should be priority go gets for the Falcons this off season.

yeah, and then listening to people all season saying our running backs and qb suck.

Lets just crap on our O line. Who needs to protect a 100 million qb anyways?

I think we should double up on DTs and try to grab Linval Joseph and Terrance Cody. that allows us to get real creative in the draft & automatically makes us almost impossible to run against. imagine dialing up blitzes with those guys in the middle

Guest fibonacci

Mack is the best center in the league, how is that crapping on the line?

lmbo my apologies. I thought he was taking about the lb for the draft.

Linval Joseph and Alex Mack should be priorities.

Alex Mack:

I know there is a contingent on here that believes Hawley is the real deal - but I have not seen that on the field. We need a legit straw on the O-Line to stir the drink and Alex Mack is that.

Linval Joseph:

Here is a 323lb rolling rock that will push the LOS into the opponents backfield - we have not had this in Smitty/Dimitroff tenure - you gotta start somewhere and here is a good first move.

good call, kiwi......this is just a downpayment on what needs to be done - but it's a dayum good start.

kind of silly they separate DL and DE, and safety from CB, but put all OL together.

But that makes it easier for Falcons to find good C or OG in FA.

exactly - it does not make sense but it works to Falcons' advantage as they look for interior O-Line help.

IMHO, if we could upgrade one position on defense to make everyone better, it would be a playmaking DT. People focus on DE and CB, but to get a stout tackle pushing the middle would increase their opportunities for success. If we had Rod Coleman (in his best years) last season, our efficiency would have been significantly improved; maybe top 10.

Linval Joseph and Alex Mack should be priorities.

Alex Mack:

I know there is a contingent on here that believes Hawley is the real deal - but I have not seen that on the field. We need a legit straw on the O-Line to stir the drink and Alex Mack is that.

Linval Joseph:

Here is a 323lb rolling rock that will push the LOS into the opponents backfield - we have not had this in Smitty/Dimitroff tenure - you gotta start somewhere and here is a good first move.

good call, kiwi......this is just a downpayment on what needs to be done - but it's a dayum good start.

Dawg I didn't think Mack was a go get this off season but I looked at Ryan's effectiveness without the no huddle and if I'm honest to me it blunted the whole offense.It needs to start from the inside out with this o-line and a stud or an experienced OC is what we need over anything.it wasn't my call it was yours in that mock you had moons ago and the more & more I think about it if I was rebuilding this line long term I start right there.

Joseph to me is a no brainer we have two DT's that are coming off the books and if they want to solidify this position you start with a young pile of granite in Joseph.I started watching him about week 6 and the more and more I saw and that 43 system with the rotation the Giants use I thought this is the guy over anyone else.I have seen very few DT's that are as stout against the run that what Joseph is.

Edited by kiwifalcon

yeah, and then listening to people all season saying our running backs and qb suck.

Lets just crap on our O line. Who needs to protect a 100 million qb anyways?

C is thee most key position along the o-line he makes calls all the protections.To me I looked at how effective the offense was without the no-huddle and the more and more I looked with the Hawley and Konz there less and less I was impressed with those 2 going foward.You want to keep a pass rushing team like the Panties or the 9ers off balance the no huddle is a prime way to slow that down.I suggest to you that our C's were in capable of running that like Mclure.Inexpereince cost Ryan alot of hits he should'nt have taken to me that just screams of the inexperience along the o-line.