Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robb4242

2014 Imd Game

1,284 posts in this topic

Hey guys

First off, guess I should check to see if there is enough interest in doing the game this year. So just let me know if you're interested. This IS NOT the signup thread, so don't ask for teams yet. I'll put out dates later on and I'll PM those dates to everyone who expresses interest here. Signups should be around mid-late Jan.

Next, I've been thinking about ways to handle the free agency differently. Here is what I've come up with to make it a little easier on me. I will divide all of the free agents into 4 groups. The groups will be random, so there will be some players from each position each week, stars will also be in each week's group, so one group will not be heavier on stars than other groups.

There will be 5 weeks of free agency. Weeks 1 - 4 will be a different group (i.e. group 1 in week 1, group 2 in week two, etc.). The 5th week of free agency will be an extra round where all players who were not signed in weeks 1-4 will be available. This will allow those who missed on a position to sign their 2nd/3rd or whatever choice of FA.

Bids will go Mon-Fri each week and the bid off will be Sat & Sun.

This accomplishes several things.

1. You guys won't bid on the first 2/3 days of FA and sit & wait 2 weeks for the bidoffs to start.

2. I won't have to search through 10 pages of bids to find one I might have missed.

3. It keeps the game moving on at a faster pace and hopefully will keep people more active & involved when the actual draft starts.

So that's the big change this year. I will still put up a website where I will have the 4 groups of FAs listed, so you'll know when the guy you want is going to be eligible to bid on.

There may be another change with money available to spend, but I'm not sure how I want to do that yet. I don't really want to go straight salary cap space because:

1. We don't know the real salary cap space of each team (we can just guess)

2. You don't have the ability to cut players to free up space (too hard to figure out the exact cap cutting someone would free up)

So we'll probably go with a tiered system again like we have the past few years, just not sure how much space to give each team. Any ideas on cap space for the game go ahead & post them here.

Any other ideas that you guys have, post them here & I'll consider it.

I believe my friend who participated last year as the Pittsburgh steelers is wanting to return again as well.

So each segment completes and teams' available funds are adjusted, then nest segment begins?

that would be correct. Say you start off with $100 for the game, you bid & win on players week 1 spending $25, then you have $75 left to use over the rest of free agency. (obviously we won't be using $100, but you get what I mean I hope)

Or we could each have 8 teams? Dibs on Houston, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and Minnesota.

jfalconsp likes this

Im in again.

There were some thoughts made during the drafting period last season that seemed like positive changes that could be made. It had to do with the time per pick and some other things. Ill look it up for you when I have time or someone may see it sooner.

I'm in.

I might suggest lowering the cap space for every tier this year. It always seems like many teams are unrealistically able to sign too many big name FAs. Maybe make a change with the minimum bids as well, since some GMs offer players minimum contracts at the end that would never sign for that amount. Maybe we could have a FA committee to handle issues like these.

Kennesaw77 likes this

I'm in.

I might suggest lowering the cap space for every tier this year. It always seems like many teams are unrealistically able to sign too many big name FAs. Maybe make a change with the minimum bids as well, since some GMs offer players minimum contracts at the end that would never sign for that amount. Maybe we could have a FA committee to handle issues like these.

I do like the idea of minimum contracts for players. If I get a good list in time, I could set minimum bids on certain players. For instance, if Julio were a FA this year, I might set his minimum bid at 2.5mill and if Drew Davis were also a FA, his minimum bid would remain at the 250k level. I think I will try to incorporate that because I really don't like the 250k bids on guys like Flacco last year & then he signed in-game for under (or just over) 1 mill per season.