Ol And Dl Status

pzummo

In regards to the DL, does anybody else find it odd that we only have 1 DT under contract for next season? And that's Travian Robertson. Babs, Peters, and Jerry are all UFA in 2014. Every LBer and DE on our roster is under contract for at least another year. I'm wondering if this is a sign of us moving towards the 3-4, where we are finally going to get a big body in the middle of our DL. Add in the fact that we tried to get Matthews to bulk up to DT weight (or 3-4 DE) this season, I think we will finally see the plunge to the 3-4.

In regards to the OL, this looks like a good year for us to rebuild. Joe Hawley, Mike Johnson, and Tureblood are all UFA and completely off the books if we choose to not resign them without any dead money (why bother with any of those 3?). Reynolds, Holmes, Konz, Gunn, and Schraeder take up almost no cap space if we keep any for depth and almost no dead money if we cut any/all of them. We are pretty much stuck with Baker and Blalock on the left side though, but we have a lot of options from C to RT. Cutting Reynolds is $300k of dead money but adds $1m of cap space ($1.3 cap hit in 2014). I'd probably keep Konz, Holmes, and Schraeder for competition and very cheap depth. I didn't like what I saw out of any of them towards the end of the season, but none are due more than $750k this coming year and they are young enough to hope for better. We need to go ahead and cut bait with the rest of the trainwreck though.

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff says the team would like to re-sign impending free agent DT Jonathan Babineaux.

"He's becoming a little bit ageless," quipped Dimitroff. "It would be nice to have him back." Although Babineaux managed one sack among 16 starts in 2013, he graded out as one of Atlanta's top run stuffers per Pro Football Focus, and has spent his entire career as a Falcon. At age 32, his price should be reasonable.

Source: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter Dec 30 - 3:11 PM

In regards to the DL, does anybody else find it odd that we only have 1 DT under contract for next season? And that's Travian Robertson. Babs, Peters, and Jerry are all UFA in 2014. Every LBer and DE on our roster is under contract for at least another year. I'm wondering if this is a sign of us moving towards the 3-4, where we are finally going to get a big body in the middle of our DL. Add in the fact that we tried to get Matthews to bulk up to DT weight (or 3-4 DE) this season, I think we will finally see the plunge to the 3-4.

In regards to the OL, this looks like a good year for us to rebuild. Joe Hawley, Mike Johnson, and Tureblood are all UFA and completely off the books if we choose to not resign them without any dead money (why bother with any of those 3?). Reynolds, Holmes, Konz, Gunn, and Schraeder take up almost no cap space if we keep any for depth and almost no dead money if we cut any/all of them. We are pretty much stuck with Baker and Blalock on the left side though, but we have a lot of options from C to RT. Cutting Reynolds is $300k of dead money but adds $1m of cap space ($1.3 cap hit in 2014). I'd probably keep Konz, Holmes, and Schraeder for competition and very cheap depth. I didn't like what I saw out of any of them towards the end of the season, but none are due more than $750k this coming year and they are young enough to hope for better. We need to go ahead and cut bait with the rest of the trainwreck though.

Good post. I hope you're right about the 3-4. It's long overdue.

We'll probably re-sign Hawley even though he let 3,000 Pantie fans scare him into a game losing phantom snap. angry.png

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff says the team would like to re-sign impending free agent DT Jonathan Babineaux.

"He's becoming a little bit ageless," quipped Dimitroff. "It would be nice to have him back." Although Babineaux managed one sack among 16 starts in 2013, he graded out as one of Atlanta's top run stuffers per Pro Football Focus, and has spent his entire career as a Falcon. At age 32, his price should be reasonable.

Source: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter Dec 30 - 3:11 PM

Babs would fit at 3-4 DE.