Matthews Versus The Field

atlGM

Love the position we will have in the draft not exactly sure what is the best draft scenario as of yet. But I have some serious question about Jake matthews. Many say he is the best LT on the board, but when I watch tape I see him give up some pressures as well as the othe top rated tackles on the draft physically he isn't the biggest guy and has been said to have short arms as well. Not that I'm hating on the guy or anything but what makes him leaps and bounds better than some of the other projected first round LT's. I just want to see us get the most bang for our buck no matter what player we take.

Lol! You have to be kidding me? So joe Thomas never gives on pressures? C'mon Man. Never? U guys have to stop. Jake is more consistent than these other tackles & he can play either the right or left side.

I think you are taking what I said out of context. My point was that it seems he gives up pressures just as much as any of the other top prospects. And ny question was what makes him better than the kid from Alabama and others.again I wouldn't take it personal man Im creating a topic for discussion as we have to 100% positive about whatever move we make this off-season.

I think you are taking what I said out of context. My point was that it seems he gives up pressures just as much as any of the other top prospects. And ny question was what makes him better than the kid from Alabama and others.again I wouldn't take it personal man Im creating a topic for discussion as we have to be 100% positive about whatever move we make this off-season.

At the 6 pick I would like:

1. Mack

2. Matthews

3. G. Robinson

Matthews is the more proven pass blocker of the two, but Robinson is unbelievably good as a run blocker. Either would be an amazing addition to our team. One OT that we shouldn't take and hopefully won't take is Taylor Lewan who has off field issues and has struggled all year regardless.

Edited by HEI5T

Matthews might be a good LT in the NFL, he might also spend his career at RT. Matthews is the best OT in this draft, but how does he compare to previous drafts, would he still be a top 10 pick? How does he compare to Russell Okong, Joe Thomas? I would like to see how he handles the job with a real QB in the senior bowl

Matthews has the best technique in this draft. His father has trained him well. However, in my opinion, he is not he best LT in this draft. I believe that Erving and Robinson are better prospects. Matthews is a more finished product, but he can be a bit passive.

I would like us to draft Cameron Erving in the first round because he is the most mobile prospect of the bunch. It doesn't hurt that he is also very strong and has a mean streak. As a matter of fact, his detractors point to his overly feisty attitude as a reason for his penchant for personal fouls. I would rather work with a player to become a little more circumspect than to try to instill some fire in his belly.

Erving is the guy.

In my opinion, Matthews would be a perfect fit as a LT in a zone blocking scheme but would struggle in a man blocking scheme. He is not the strongest or biggest around but he has great movement skills, can kick out very quickly, and has top notch technique. If we move to a zone blocking scheme, which would be smart since it best suits younger players like Konz and Holmes, then Matthews should be the target. If we stick to the man blocking scheme for whatever reason then I'd look to Cameron Erving instead.