Respect! Power Ranks

falcndave

OK I am really slow at the stats business. I really don't understand what he means by his statement here.

"The Falcons posted the worst opponent Total QBR this season (69.7), but are in a prime position to improve that in next year's draft."

It seems to me he is saying the QB's we faced had the worst rating (69.7) in games we played against them if I am interpreting that correctly. However. if I am the how do we improve that in our draft? Sorry to be so stupid, but it just doesn't make any sense to my feeble non-football oriented mind. biggrin.png (some of us are are not too bright)

Or is he referring to Matt's numbers? If so, I am surprised because I thought his stats were pretty decent, but again I don't really pay attention to stats at all except when you kind people put them up here for discussion.

No thats QBR not the old QB Rating. 69.7 is a decent number for a QB in a game.

^^^This FFFL. 69 is equal to the 5th best QB in the league this season.

Of the big name QBs who played most of the seasion, Peyton is on top with a 82.9 TQBR. The next best guy is Rivers at 71.5. So, 69 is very good (for example, Brees posted 70.5). The guy playing for us was 10th best in the league with a 61.1.

Total QBR stats(sort by Total QBR column).

OK I am really slow at the stats business. I really don't understand what he means by his statement here.

"The Falcons posted the worst opponent Total QBR this season (69.7), but are in a prime position to improve that in next year's draft."

It seems to me he is saying the QB's we faced had the worst rating (69.7) in games we played against them if I am interpreting that correctly. However. if I am the how do we improve that in our draft? Sorry to be so stupid, but it just doesn't make any sense to my feeble non-football oriented mind. biggrin.png (some of us are are not too bright)

Or is he referring to Matt's numbers? If so, I am surprised because I thought his stats were pretty decent, but again I don't really pay attention to stats at all except when you kind people put them up here for discussion.

It means that the combined QBR of QBs who played against the Falcons was 69.7 - which is best combined QBR opposing QBs had against any team, or based on how they phrased it, the Falcons were the worst in giving up a high QBR.

QBR is ESPN's attempt at advanced stats. It's a decent measure though not perfect. Basically it's a 1-100 scale with 50 being "average" and anything north of 70 typically being pretty good.

We basically turned every QB that played against us into a decent QB. Among statistical trends documented over the last twenty years, one of the strongest indicators for team success is the differential between the effectiveness of your passing game and the effectiveness of the passing defense.

It means that the combined QBR of QBs who played against the Falcons was 69.7 - which is best combined QBR opposing QBs had against any team, or based on how they phrased it, the Falcons were the worst in giving up a high QBR.

Yeah I clearly recall our D making just about every wet-nosed rookie QB they faced look like the second coming of Johnny Unitas.