Our 1St Rd Pick Will Not Be Ol

Sandy5prings

I listened to TD's comments in the presser yesterday twice and it seems clear that he is not a fan of drafting an O-Lineman at the top of the draft.

His comments on this years OL disaster were all about missed "assessment of readiness" vs. acknowledging that the players he drafted were busts. Translating Dimi-speak into English, he basically said - we think we have the right guys but we put them on the field a year too early. He repeatedly insisted on O-Line being a "draft in numbers and develop them" position.

A lot of things can change between now and April but TD's comments almost surely say that the #6 pick is not going to be OL.

I disagree. TD and smitty both admitted our line play was pathetic. Whether it was collectively or not really doesn't matter. Clearly the backups we put in place fell way short and could not handle the job no matter how you mixed and matched them. You can bet AB is whispering in TD's ears and TD better have his $hit together in this years draft. So far his line evaluations have been awful.

He has a point. He just has a horrible eye for talent in the rounds (3, 4, 5) where you can get excellent value at G, C, and RT. Our line is more than one player away from being a quality unit. Even if Jake Matthews is his father all over again, we would still need to upgrade at least 2 more positions for Ryan to get a little time next season.

He has a point. He just has a horrible eye for talent in the rounds (3, 4, 5) where you can get excellent value at G, C, and RT. Our line is more than one player away from being a quality unit. Even if Jake Matthews is his father all over again, we would still need to upgrade at least 2 more positions for Ryan to get a little time next season.

Yea, I'm not sure that the answer is just to draft guys in the 1st round. If you look at the Olines around the league that are good they usually have at best one 1st rounder (a tackle). Their C, Guards, etc. typically come from later rounds or are undrafted journeymen.

I listened to TD's comments in the presser yesterday twice and it seems clear that he is not a fan of drafting an O-Lineman at the top of the draft.

His comments on this years OL disaster were all about missed "assessment of readiness" vs. acknowledging that the players he drafted were busts. Translating Dimi-speak into English, he basically said - we think we have the right guys but we put them on the field a year too early. He repeatedly insisted on O-Line being a "draft in numbers and develop them" position.

A lot of things can change between now and April but TD's comments almost surely say that the #6 pick is not going to be OL.

Here is the thing most of the sacks we gave up....particularly later in the year were due to the guys not know who the **** to block......watch the bills game....the Oline was confused. When we got out hands on guys they did a good job...the popular notion is there is no talent on the line but that is simply not true.

I think the only way we don't take OL in the first round is if Clowney somehow falls to us. Then we take DL round 1 and OL probably in rounds 2 and 3.

One more time... the draft is NOT full of Pass Rushers, the draft does have a wealth of OLineman...

Does it make more sense to draft OLineman and take a stick figure for our starting defensive end, or does it make sense to get Clowney or Barr in the first round and take one of the many good Interior OLineman in the early second round?

I think the only way we don't take OL in the first round is if Clowney somehow falls to us. Then we take DL round 1 and OL probably in rounds 2 and 3.

The OP was based on TDs comments in his PC. Based on those comments, there is no way he will take more than one OL in the first 3 rounds. That said, I do feel he'd take one and fill other needs through free agency.

One more time... the draft is NOT full of Pass Rushers, the draft does have a wealth of OLineman...

Does it make more sense to draft OLineman and take a stick figure for our starting defensive end, or does it make sense to get Clowney or Barr in the first round and take one of the many good Interior OLineman in the early second round?

The draft is full of OL's, but not OT's that can be plugged into the LT position from day one. That is what we need. Baker is a fine player but is not reliable. Holmes is a question mark. So, if we want (and we do) a LT, we need to draft him in the first round.

Barr is potential. He has the potential to be a good player. In order to be good, he has to learn the position and he must be much more willing to hit someone. Right now, his game is finesse.

Mack is a real old school football player, but he does not have an exceptional first step. In other words, he is not an exceptional NFL prospect. I like him and I would welcome him to our team, but I would not draft him ahead of an OT.

I agree. Clowney's natural talent is rare, even more rare than a franchise LT.

What if we draft Barr and a NT and FINALLY switch to the 3-4 with Witherspoon and Worrilow and playing both Middle Linebacker Positions and let Joplo Bartu be second string behind Witherspoon on the Weak Side and draft another big hitter to play behind Worrilow.

What if we draft Barr and a NT and FINALLY switch to the 3-4 with Witherspoon and Worrilow and playing both Middle Linebacker Positions and let Joplo Bartu be second string behind Witherspoon on the Weak Side and draft another big hitter to play behind Worrilow.

I mocked this 3-4. Got some pretty good praise.

Now would be the time to switch to a 3-4. This draft is loaded with 3-4 OLB's that excel @ rushing the passer AND dropping into coverage

I mocked this 3-4. Got some pretty good praise.

http://boards.atlant...e-for-a-change/

Now would be the time to switch to a 3-4. This draft is loaded with 3-4 OLB's that excel @ rushing the passer AND dropping into coverage

Because it needs to happen, after all our Defensive Coordinator is a 3-4 COACH in the first place... why not let him do what he's best at.

He has a point. He just has a horrible eye for talent in the rounds (3, 4, 5) where you can get excellent value at G, C, and RT. Our line is more than one player away from being a quality unit. Even if Jake Mattheckws is his father all over again, we would still need to upgrade at least 2 more positions for Ryan to get a little time next season.

Picking Jake in the 1st and going after Raiola (since the Lions are in flux) would be a real marked improvement. That's where the focus should be.