General Question: Converting Cb To Fs

The O.D.B

I see guys in the draft (Stanley Jean-Baptiste 6'2 220, Pierre Desir 6'1 205) and on our roster (Franks) that appear like they have the size and speed to potentially do well at Free Saftey. Other than guys like me who are still learning all the ins/outs of the game I never see this discussed seriously. Can one of the technical guys explain what make this transition hard for a large CB?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

I see guys in the draft (Stanley Jean-Baptiste 6'2 220, Pierre Desir 6'1 205) and on our roster (Franks) that appear like they have the size and speed to potentially do well at Free Saftey. Other than guys like me who are still learning all the ins/outs of the game I never see this discussed seriously. Can one of the technical guys explain what make this transition hard for a large CB?

The view of the field and technique are different. it is actually harder to play corner especially because of the hip turn and ball location skills. If a person is physical enough to play the saftey position as well as have the intelligence to see the field from those angles, then it can work. But i have played both and it looks totally different playing. Its like playing Saftey and LB. People think it just something that can be switched but physical attributes aside. The field looks totally different and requires different techniques playing in space or you will always be out of place.

The view of the field and technique are different. it is actually harder to play corner especially because of the hip turn and ball location skills. If a person is physical enough to play the saftey position as well as have the intelligence to see the field from those angles, then it can work. But i have played both and it looks totally different playing. Its like playing Saftey and LB. People think it just something that can be switched but physical attributes aside. The field looks totally different and requires different techniques playing in space or you will always be out of place.

So as long as they are Big/physical enough the 'X' factor is field vision and play diagnosis. This would seem like coaches would have a tough time discovering this skill in a corner. Even if a coach tried a CB at FS he'd need allot of snaps to determine if the CB had the eye for the position or not and he'd be neglecting the FS already on the roster in the process.

Makes more sense now than it did before, thanks for the reply.

Another factor to consider is the players ability take the correct angle when coming up from the free safety position to make the tackles. I remember listening to lawyer Milloy discussing the importance of proper angles. Molloy was asked how he was still able to play in his later years and he talked about loosing his foot speed yet still able to beat out younger safeties for starting jobs. Lawyer says that as he got older he became better at angles. This is not as much of a factor with the corner position because corners are usually dedicated to sticking with the reciever until the ball crosses the line of scrimmage.

Is Peanut Tillman too small to play FS? I think he has to be bigger than Honey Badger and I know he is very strong.

I would love to have him in the Falcons secondary because he causes turnovers like crazy. I just looked and he will be 33 next season and he is coming off of a tricep injury so I don't know if it is a good idea or not. It is just something that popped in my head so I thought I would get some opinions on it. I just want Decoud replaced somehow.

Is Peanut Tillman too small to play FS? I think he has to be bigger than Honey Badger and I know he is very strong.

I would love to have him in the Falcons secondary because he causes turnovers like crazy. I just looked and he will be 33 next season and he is coming off of a tricep injury so I don't know if it is a good idea or not. It is just something that popped in my head so I thought I would Wiget some opinions on it. I just want Decoud replaced somehow.

Isn't that nickname like "lil man", small frie, I mean really, just look him up....LOL...cause I'm ready to that with a nickname like peanut, he's not cracking 6 feet.

Isn't that nickname like "lil man", small frie, I mean really, just look him up....LOL...cause I'm ready to that with a nickname like peanut, he's not cracking 6 feet.

Lol, ok I looked him up. He is 6'2" 198lbs. Decoud is 6'2" 192lbs. Tyrann Mathieu is 5'9" 186lbs. I thought Mathieu was too small to play safety, but he has been really good playing that position.

it's harder to play corner if you're playing bump n run just like it's harder to play safety if you play rover...basic safety and corner are about equal.

as far as the switch, it honestly depends on what type of safety you want...most people always see free safety and immediately think Ed Reed-esque centerfield play...where he just gets big INTs and never has to worry about contact because he simply prevents defenses from going deep and just prevents any big gains turning into TDs.(as if it was that easy)

most times they have to have a good knowledge of the team's defense if you want them to play this way(and I'm assuming that's how people think our cornerbacks who have never shown great tackling ability would play the game). they'd have to know where the defense needs help and where the defense has holes...they'd have to decipher route combinations to see where the offense is trying to open up holes...you see centerfield doesn't just mean playing deep shots downfield. it's also being in position for the seam routes that we always get lit up on...being where that hole is opening so you can make the tackle that will prevent the TD because everybody else is playing shallow. you have to be a sure tackler because when you make a tackle, a lot of times you're the last line of defense. have to have some good sideline to sideline speed so that you can control a QBs throw(don't want him throwing to Moss on the right, but you don't need to leave the LB hanging covering someone like Welker in the middle of the field would be a real world scenario). a lot of the time these guys are real cerebral, or some of the most athletically gifted on the team...regardless you have to cut out a lot of false steps. freezing for a second is the difference between a 30 yard gain and an incompletion. freezing for a second 'n' a half is the difference between a 30 yard gain and a TD. there's a reason they usually move the older cornerbacks to free safety to play this position...it's for people with great knowledge of the defense, and basic NFL route combinations.

Franks already played some safety for us in 2012. Many corners have been converted to safety. Scott Case was a Pro Bowl corner before he became a head hunting free safety.