Critical Look At Anthony Barr

MSalmon

Well Barr is a legit target, although I think if clowney is not available TD will go OL or interior DL.

But let's really look at Barr:

MEASURABLES:

6'4" 248 anticipated 4.5 forty

EXPERIENCE :

2 years at OLB in 34 scheme

So a bit inexperienced but not terribly so considering his stats. But question is how does he fit into our already stable of undersized DE/OLB types? Two is he able to be scheme diverse? Can he play 43 SLB as well?

Plus the size is a bit if an issue. Clowney has phenomenal size for a DE to handle the far more physical NFL. Will Barr be able to set edge in 43 looks? Or simply be a 34 OLB?

Lots of questions in my mind

Thoughts of others?

The problem with Barr to me is we have to take him in the 6th pick!!!!! I think we can get others like Ryan Shazier, Van Noy, A J Johnson, J. Attachou, Telvin Smith later who might end up just as good in the long run and use the 6th on another position or player of need or trade back.

The problem with Barr to me is we have to take him in the 6th pick!!!!! I think we can get others like Ryan Shazier, Van Noy, A J Johnson, J. Attachou, Telvin Smith later who might end up just as good in the long run and use the 6th on another position or player of need or trade back.

You keep hoping and praying for second tier talent you will continue to get 2nd tier pass rush. Also & I'm not saying you are....but if you're one of those ppl that wanted Ray Edwards then you shouldn't be judging our pass rush & what needs to be done

Barr seems to be having success based on his speed alone. I don't think he is very physical and does have the best technique either. He will have to play in a 3-4 defense in order to see his max potential. Just my opinion.

If want a player in that mold the better option would be a much more physical mack who I think will be a gamechanger.

Barr seems to be having success based on his speed alone. I don't think he is very physical and does have the best technique either. He will have to play in a 3-4 defense in order to see his max potential. Just my opinion.

If want a player in that mold the better option would be a much more physical mack who I think will be a gamechanger.

Technique you can teach and he appears to be an apt learning considering the progress he has made having only played 2 years on the defensive side of the ball. His speed and first step cannot be taught.

If we're taking a player of this mold, which I don't think we will because he's a poor scheme fit for us IMO, I'd much rather have the Kid from ASU Bradford. Bradford is more aggressive and is available at a much more sane pick value.

Carl Bradford is pretty good, I'm a fan. If we miss out on Clowney/Mack, there's not really many other edge players I'd want as I don't think they'll be a worthwhile upgrade at the pick over Massaquoi/Goodman but Bradford is one player I'd like along with Van Noy. He could play Biermann's role.

Carl Bradford is pretty good, I'm a fan. If we miss out on Clowney/Mack, there's not really many other edge players I'd want as I don't think they'll be a worthwhile upgrade at the pick over Massaquoi/Goodman but Bradford is one player I'd like along with Van Noy. He could play Biermann's role.

If we don't get clowney and still think we need an upgrade at DE I like Trent Murphy and (if he declares) Randy Gregory. If we upgrade I think it comes from moving Cliff Mathews to DT on the roster and filling the DE spot left by him. Bradford's not the greatest in coverage but, he's smart, aggressive and fast. In skills I don't think Bradford stands out but, the kid is a player and could be a slight upgrade over one of our LBs.

I think part of our problem is that we never take guys with extremely good physical tools. I am not saying Barr is a finished product, but he unquestionably has great physical tools and the frame to get bigger/stronger. Look at our current group of Defensive lineman and offensive lineman for that matter. Name one guy who has great physical tools....

That is why I wouldn't be mad at taking Barr, but I would rather have Hageman (ideally with a trade back).

So far against VT. He has good speed to get past LT but lacked flexibility to bend the corner to make a play. Was left unblocked on a run play, wiffed on RB, didn't process what was happening. Haven't seen him turn speed to power in a bull rush. Trent cole does this as well as anyone. For comparison.

Just defeated blocker, run was to outside, his side. Has real trouble changing direction to pursue. Didn't effect RB at all

Technique you can teach and he appears to be an apt learning considering the progress he has made having only played 2 years on the defensive side of the ball. His speed and first step cannot be taught.

I can agree with that. But I would counter asking is that the risk you want us to take with our first pick.It is possible he turns into a tactician at the position but to me it is more likely that he struggles for atleast 2 years trying to learn the technique necessary to be great. Don't get me wrong I think he is good for 5 based on his speed alone. But I am also concerned with how long it takes for him to diagnosis plays accompanied with thaw fact that he seems to be more of a finesse player and not so much of a sure tackler.

His teammate across from him has been more impressive today, I believe he is just a freshman tho

That's Myles Jack. Guys like him are why the 3 year rule sucks. He is ready to play in the NFL today, instead he has to toil away making no money playing in college.

I kinda agree with the rule for the most part, prevents guys who aren't ready making the jump to soon, but for a select few it really sucks.

That's Myles Jack. Guys like him are why the 3 year rule sucks. He is ready to play in the NFL today, instead he has to toil away making no money playing in college.

I kinda agree with the rule for the most part, prevents guys who aren't ready making the jump to soon, but for a select few it really sucks.

yea he has balled out today, abd it's a rule I agree with. Can you imagine a player goin pro at the age of 18-19, they would go crazy with that money they get. I think it has a lot to do with maturity as well as not many are ready at such a young age. I see the NBA use to do it but guys like Kobe LeBron,melo are such rare talents

I think part of our problem is that we never take guys with extremely good physical tools. I am not saying Barr is a finished product, but he unquestionably has great physical tools and the frame to get bigger/stronger. Look at our current group of Defensive lineman and offensive lineman for that matter. Name one guy who has great physical tools....

That is why I wouldn't be mad at taking Barr, but I would rather have Hageman (ideally with a trade back).

He's definitely a physical specimen,. I'm not sure he's scheme diverse. By that can he play SLB in 43 ? I think he'll be good as a rush OLB. He's not physical enough Asa 43 DE IMO and needs space. He's got questions for a number 6 pick overall, considering we don't have big space eaters on DL. I hope if we go Thai direction we get huge DL and run more 34 sets, this kid is best in space