This Is Going To Be Td Hardest Off Season To Deal With . He Better Get To Work

swiffcheese

1) Do we switch to 3-4 full time . Looks like he found 2 solid LBs now hopefully Spoon can be added to mix and with our draft position we are primed to add a Mack or Barr who are 3-4 players . Does Nolan say go ahead with the 3-4 swicth and don't resign the 4-3 DTs and need to find a space eating NT that will be a fit . What to do with Babs can he brought back for a 3-4 DE role . Should we cut Osi who wouldn't fit or keep him on for a role as 3-4 rush LB and stand him up with Mack/ Barr

2) The offensive line . Does TD admit THREE HUGE mistakes in Baker , Holmes and Konz . If he does and we go Lt with 6th pick in draft ? Then have Baker on bench or eating valuable cap room. Do we try to upgrade C position

over Hawley or does he get a chance next year . What to do about RG do we try to address in early rounds again and given up hope on Konz . How about the RT situation how will that be addressed ? FA?

3) Replacing Tony G production . Do we draft another TE ? are we high on LT? Do we take a flier on a TE earlier in draft and possibly use more two TE sets

4) Special teams needs to be addressed .

5) RB situation going forward . Is Quizz/SJax/ Snelling all back

6) Can he Trust Julio to stay healthy or need to draft another wr option ?

At this point I have zero confidence in his ability to do so. I believe in his arrogance he still thinks this idea of picking up cross-trainable Boy Scouts is going to somehow morph both these lines into units of championship caliber.

It was exposed this year. I sat here this past summer waiting for Dimitroff to make a couple of moves to shore up these lines. There was enough money to make a move better than Trueblood...yet even after the injury to Johnson he did nothing.

It was dereliction of his duty as a competent GM and one of the main reasons I didn't post on here all fall. He took a huge gamble that this would work and it failed miserably.

If his ego refuses to allow him to reassess how he has drafted and acquired FAs the past 2 years then the inevitable will happen. He'll be unemployed next winter and possibly drag Smith down with him.

Adapt, admit your mistakes and you have a chance. Stick to your guns and get the pink slip from Blank.

At this point I have zero confidence in his ability to do so. I believe in his arrogance he still thinks this idea of picking up cross-trainable Boy Scouts is going to somehow morph both these lines into units of championship caliber.

It was exposed this year. I sat here this past summer waiting for Dimitroff to make a couple of moves to shore up these lines. There was enough money to make a move better than Trueblood...yet even after the injury to Johnson he did nothing.

It was dereliction of his duty as a competent GM and one of the main reasons I didn't post on here all fall. He took a huge gamble that this would work and it failed miserably.

If his ego refuses to allow him to reassess how he has drafted and acquired FAs the past 2 years then the inevitable will happen. He'll be unemployed next winter and possibly drag Smith down with him.

Adapt, admit your mistakes and you have a chance. Stick to your guns and get the pink slip from Blank.

Good post Gritz. I feel pretty much the same way.

Actually I would say this is the easiest. It is harder to improve or equal going 13-3. It is much easier to improve on 4-12. Even if the team went 6-10, you could say they improved. :D

don't think fans just want a improvement . They want a future direction of this team. They want to see a defense that can be trusted and a offensive line that can protect the franchise QB

If we're going to a more 3-4 base, this is definitely the year to do it. Lots of defensive line help in this draft, and our draft position will (hopefully, please God) not be any better for a long time. I hope this is the year we get our fat man in the middle and some outside rush help and turn this defense into something to be feared instead of something to be exploited.

Unfortunately, we also need OL help, but I think we're a couple of pieces away from being competent on the o-line. One good OG (or maybe C if Konz can play G) and one good OT and we're back to a reasonable level of proficiency on the o-line. If we can do that and our defense can actually get after the QB and stop runs up the middle, we'll be in the hunt every year.

Real talk, Swifty. Good job. We are where we are and right now and TD is on the hot seat more so than Smitty could be. I agree with your approach in the sense that TD is ultimately responsible for the talent on the field, and I agree with Gritz's synopsis that you can't make chicken salad out of chicken chit. I'll go a long way with you if you'd just stop blaming so much on #2. It ain't his fault that he can't run, pass, block, catch and punt. He is what he is (pretty good, IMO), and he's gonna be here a while. He may not be an Aaron Rodgers, but he's all we have, he's tough as nails, and he's a pretty damm good QB. He ain't elite, but maybe he doesn't have to be with the right talent around him.

This is going to possibly be the most interesting and critical draft and off season in Falcons' history. Well, at least since 2008! No one gave us a chance in h3ll in 2008, but we done good. Can history repeat itself? Some think TD (and Smitty), are played out. Some think they've just got started. I fall into the later category, but I wholeheartedly agree that change in approach is needed.

I may be old fashioned, but I want a powerful running game again. We may have one now, but the O-line is so bad, we can't really tell.

don't think fans just want a improvement . They want a future direction of this team. They want to see a defense that can be trusted and a offensive line that can protect the franchise QB

You are not going to get that in 1 off season. It will take 2 or 3 at least if you are looking for an honest Super Bowl run. Right now they need to start rebuilding. Your OP was about this being the hardest off season to deal with, and as I pointed out is is not. The 2008 off season was much harder than this one.

Get some SEC hosses on the line. I want the guys who were coached by the best and went up against the best competition week in and week out in college.

Get some new specialty coaches (oline, dline) that can coach these guys up.

Hire a strength and conditioning coach that will have these guys hitting the weights. As a team we didn't look very in shape to my eyes at least.

Strange isn't it...we hire TD from a winning organisation, presumably to help bring those winning ways here.

So what does TD do? He decides he knows more than the Patriots, apparently. Because Belichik sure did not build the Patriots the way TD is -trying- to build the Falcons. Belichik emphasizes having good linemen.

Belichik even told TD it was a bad idea trading all those picks for Julio. TD does it anyway.

For some reason, building a team from the inside out, with the lines being a priority, using conventional proven team building tactics, that just isn't good enough for TD. He has to outsmart the rest of the NFL.

We finally have a coaching staff that does not try to use some blasted gimmick offense or defense, just play solid football. Unfortunately we have a GM who does not believe in making the best use of his draft picks, instead TD wants to out-smart everyone by being different with his drafting methods.

TD CAN learn. He can go back to doing what makes a team championship caliber. Draft for the lines. Stop trading so many good picks for WRs and CBs. Without proper support, good players at those positions are wasted anyway. Like TD just saw this past season.

Edited by egoprime II

If we're going to a more 3-4 base, this is definitely the year to do it. Lots of defensive line help in this draft, and our draft position will (hopefully, please God) not be any better for a long time. I hope this is the year we get our fat man in the middle and some outside rush help and turn this defense into something to be feared instead of something to be exploited.

Unfortunately, we also need OL help, but I think we're a couple of pieces away from being competent on the o-line. One good OG (or maybe C if Konz can play G) and one good OT and we're back to a reasonable level of proficiency on the o-line. If we can do that and our defense can actually get after the QB and stop runs up the middle, we'll be in the hunt every year.

I fear Konz may be a lost cause. I hope I'm wrong on that, but he looked weak, slow and had bad technique most days. At this point, I'd be fine with cutting bait on him and starting over.

I have to wonder, who is scouting the talent for the Oline and Dline? Because either they are doing a very bad job or we don't have the right coaches working with these guys and getting them better.

Like Gritz , after all these years of blatant Incompetence and mishandling of this team how can we believe this regime after 6 years is going to have this epiphany and do things the right way? After 2011 after we lost to the Giants, at the end of the year presser ( this was the year we drafted Julio and buzzwords were flying in the preseason about "explosive and greatest show on turf" A reporter asked T.D. about the Falcons lack of explosive-ness; and this dude responded with " well technically we were more explosive" knowing full well when he was throwing that word around what he meant and how the fans would take that.

I was just shocked that Ryan wasn't mentioned and wasn't trying to derail it.

But you guys are doing a good job keeping it derailed.

But, I'll play along to help get it back on track:

The OL is the beginning and the end of this off-season. But drafting a bunch of rookies isn't going to fix it.

Quizz has been here long enough to show that he is not an effective weapon. Time to move on.

And, Julio is a concern. He goes off against the Jets, and the next morning, out of nowhere, he's out for the season with a reinjured foot. Makes you wonder if it will a problematic situation.

And, for the love of God, can we please get a returner who can strike fear into the other team?

Edited by Keith

Strange isn't it...we hire TD from a winning organisation, presumably to help bring those winning ways here.

So what does TD do? He decides he knows more than the Patriots, apparently. Because Belichik sure did not build the Patriots the way TD is -trying- to build the Falcons. Belichik emphasizes having good linemen.

Belichik even told TD it was a bad idea trading all those picks for Julio. TD does it anyway.

For some reason, building a team from the inside out, with the lines being a priority, using conventional proven team building tactics, that just isn't good enough for TD. He has to outsmart the rest of the NFL.

We finally have a coaching staff that does not try to use some blasted gimmick offense or defense, just play solid football. Unfortunately we have a GM who does not believe in making the best use of his draft picks, instead TD wants to out-smart everyone by being different with his drafting methods.

TD CAN learn. He can go back to doing what makes a team championship caliber. Draft for the lines. Stop trading so many good picks for WRs and CBs. Without proper support, good players at those positions are wasted anyway. Like TD just saw this past season.

Great post egoprime....TD's desire to think outside the box may get him working outside of Flowery Branch.

I wish y'all would stop using that word 'epiphany'. I start thinking I'm on a Dr. Phil forum.....

Don't you like "We've Had a Dayum Epiphany!" better than "Rise Up!..?"

I do. Means these boys at the Branch have figured out "uhm...we better try something else 'cause this ain't working.."

I was just shocked that Ryan wasn't mentioned and wasn't trying to derail it.

But you guys are doing a good job keeping it derailed.

But, I'll play along to help get it back on track:

The OL is the beginning and the end of this off-season. But drafting a bunch of rookies isn't going to fix it.

Quizz has been here long enough to show that he is not an effective weapon. Time to move on.

And, Julio is a concern. He goes off against the Jets, and the next morning, out of nowhere, he's out for the season with a reinjured foot. Makes you wonder if it will a problematic situation.

And, for the love of God, can we please get a returner who can strike fear into the other team?

Anton Smith definitely has shown that Quizz is indeed expendable and I'm a supporter of Quizz but he lacks speed. I'm kind of on the fence about Julio albeit a great player if he get's hurt again in 14 this trade up is going to look horrible for T.D. and it will definitely be worse for the Falcons.

Great post egoprime....TD's desire to think outside the box may get him working outside of Flowery Branch.

Nice way of putting it Gritz.

This is old hat for me, I have been criticizng TD since before the Julio trade, heh.

The GMs who worked for TD, who got jobs with the Rams and Jaguars? They sure are not trying to do what TD is doing here. Looks like working for TD taught them what NOT to do.....

TD needs to take the hint, right the heck now.

BTW Thanks for the props. :)