Mock Draft 2.0 Last One Til After Combine

MSalmon

2014 Atlanta Falcons Mock 2.0.

Let me preface this, by saying if Clowney is available well pick him. He's the Julio jones type of impact player on defense. I'm assuming in this mock that Clowney has been picked. I also think we could go after Michael Johnson whether we draft Clowney or not. We need athleticism and skill at DE rotation; but that said, I think Massaqui is showing he’s at least a good rotation guy; and I see similar traits in Goodman.

Also, I’m not necessarily giving up on Holmes or Konz or even Schraeder. In today’s NFL you need quality depth and you need to draft eventual replacements when you can. Baker’s contract is not an albatross. I discuss that in more depth in another post if you care to read more

Now is good time to sign peters after injury. Not sure how much, but it could be a team friendly one

IM STEALING SOME OF G-DAWG’s INFO HERE LOL:

Falcons Free Agents to Let Walk:

Jonathan Babineaux, -Agree with G-Dawg. Getting older and expensive to sign.Peria Jerry, DT (He’s just not that good)

Chase Coffman, TE (not getting any touches, must be in Falcons doghouse like he was in Cincy on HardKnocks)

Jeremy Trueblood, RT (waiver white trash—these are G-dawg’s words—and I agree)

Omar Gaither, LB (who? I hardly knew ya)

Moves to create cap room:

$7.00mm - retire Tony Gonzalez

$5.25mm - cut Asante Samuel

$3.00mm - cut Thomas DeCoud

$2.00mm - cut Stephen Nicholas

$1.30mm - cut Garrett Reynolds

$18.55mm = additional cap savings

Re-Sign current Falcons:

Robert McClain, CB - 2yrs, $4mm = $2mm/yr towards cap

Dominque Franks, CB - 1yr, $1.3mm = $1.3mm/yr towards cap

Mike Johnson, OT - 1yr, $1mm = 1.0mm/yr towards cap (Becomes a depth signing and could be cut)

Joe hawley: (2 years $4M)

FREE AGENCY:

Number 1 target is Michael Johnson. The bengals can't afford him, after wrapping up Dunlap and Atkins. They also drafted Margus Hunt to replace him. Nolan sees the versatile and athletic Johnson and Blank sends the plane....

Michael Johnson signed 5 years $52 Million , ($24 M guaranteed)

--this is close to what the Rams paid Chris Long

- Johnson is a fantastic athlete and great run stopper. Also has ability to drop back in coverage and has been used in SLB spot. He’s the perfect guy for this Nolan hybrid

Arthur Jones, DT/DE: 4 years $22M (12 m guaranteed)

I stole this from GDawg. Like him I'm not sure he even hits FA. But this is a versatile player.. if we can’t get him I’d love to get Joseph.

Malcom Jenkins, FS: 5 years $31 M (guaranteed $15M)

--Saints drafted Vaccaro who’s better suited for FS. They also have a lot of pending FAs like Jimmy Graham. Just like they nabbed Lofton we nab Jenkins.

--He’ll get a similar contract to Willie Moe. He’s much better than Decoud

So before you start slamming the mock—Note that we bolstered our young defense via FA. Overall I think they’ll be some growing pains next year on OL with new picks; but the talent level will certainly be infused. But with the much improved Hawley and hopefully an improved Konz over offseason competing for center, rolling with the winner of that battle, coupled with Baker and Blalock we can work through the growing pains. If Johnson is healthy, I think he, possibly Schraeder and Gunn compete for RG. Having Matthews will make a world of difference IMO out at RT

Most importantly we have depth with starting experience on several levels of the team after this atrocious year. Even though Holmes and shraeder aren’t starting caliber yet, they’ll be great depth. Ditto with much of the defensiverooks and youngsterswho got playing time.

Round 1: Jake Matthews (same as mock 1.0)

ALTERNATE PICK (Cameron Erving)

--Like I said, if Clowney is there, I think we grab him. But if he’s not, and we have a chance to nab a top 10 talent OT, I say we’ll do it. This pick is not just about the present. Plug in at RT, keep baker a year, develop holmes/schraeder whoever and move to LT in 2015. Using this pick on OT makes sense on many levels.

-He's powerful at run blocking, smart , good feet and excellent in protection. He also excelled at both RT and LT in college and is durable. But honestly, there are some very good Ots in round 1 available. I’d be happy with Matthews, Lewan, Erving, or Robinson (if he declares).

-Say what you want, folks, but holmes aint ready. And he may never be much more than depth.

Round 2: Aaron Donald, DT Pittsburgh 6’0” 285

ALTERNATE PICK : Gabe Jackson or DT

Donald is a pass rushing dynamo and a very good run defender with his surprising strength. Had his size been greater we’d be talking a first rounder. Possibly early. He is a 43 UT and can play DE in 43 as well. Interestingly enough he’s not far from the size of Babs when he came out (a bit shorter) and Babs did well as 34 DE as well. Well regardless this is our new, younger and cheaper Babs.

-Kid’s a playmaker in the right scheme

Round 3: Anthony Steen G, Alabama 6’3” 309 lbs

-Could go higher, but this draft is deep in Guards and he underwent surgery for a torn labrum.Very powerful run blocker with good athleticism and feet. http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/09/22/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report-anthony-steen-og-alabama/

-Very good in pass protection, and is smart and a good technician

-Could start day one.

Round 4: Marcel Jenson TE Fresno State 6'5" 270

--one of Pat Hill's guys. Great athleticism and STs dynamo who blocks very well. lost playing time when Fresno State switched to the wide open 4-5 WR sets

--huge mitts and big,

--similar to an extra OT when blocking with his size.

Round 5: Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford Height: 6-4. Weight: 275.

Per Walter football: Gardner was playing really well for Stanford this year before a torn pectoral muscle ended his season. His going out was a huge loss to the Cardinal's defense as he was providing a lot of disruption with some big plays. Gardner finished 2013 with 19 tackles, 7.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

--5th year senior who's scheme diverse, very similar to goodman. Could play inside 43, DE 34 and 43 DE run support.

--has nice frame, coming off injury so stock is down

Round 6: De'Anthony Thomas*, RB, Oregon 5'9" 170 lb

--perhaps the fastest guy in footballt. But durability and size concerns will knock him down in draft. Could line up in slot, backfield and return game.

--kinda of a Danny whitehead or a problems type player, best utilized in a variety of ways.

RD 7 Spencer Long OG, Nebraska 6'4" 315 lbs

--tore an ACL early in season. Tough road grader, who had improved his pass protection. Definitely a "prospect" but would have been a top 100 pick had he not got hurt. This may be his " redshirt" pro year. He'll compete for roster spot

Well that's it. Hope you enjoy.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No secret I dont like Jake. But I like Aaron Donald. He might be the next Geno

Yup lol

I'd be happy any of the OT elites or of course Clowney. Barr and Mack? I'm not sure yet

I like the kid. He'll need a good scheme to set him up to succeed. But he's got great strength and quickness. A better Babs out of college I think

I'd be delighted with him at that stage. He's small, but he's a potential game changer. I just think that he'll run a good 40 time and people will get really excited.

It's possible. He run a good 40 he may sneak in first. He's short though and scheme dependent, so a lot of 34 and even 43 teams may pass on him. I think the hybrid like ours could get creative with him

Horrible mock, Micheal Johnson is overrated and gets tremendous help from Geno Atkins one of the best if not the best DT in the NFL when he is in the lineup.

Osi Umenyiora - 45 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 3 FF, and 1 pick

Micheal Johnson - 51 tackels, 3 sacks, 2 FF, and 1 pick

PEOPLE STOP MOCKING MICHEAL JOHNSON!

Baltimore is not letting go Arthur Jones.

Malcom Jenkins has been one of their best defenders this season wouldn't mind him, don't see him going tho.

Jake Matthews is not falling to 6th, love you're alternate pick in Cameron Erving, need to do more analysis on him but, from just a few quick peeks at him, I'am really high on him.

Aaron Donald, F TO THE YEAH, this is who we need, nice selection, currently a late 1st early second pick, within our range to obtain, by the time combine rolls around he could be a mid 1st rounder. Let's hope he stays a secret.

Anthony Steen, don't know anything about this kat other than he plays for the tide. I would be very careful taking a tide o-linemen, they play great as a unit in college, but when they hit the pros they don't fair as well, so caution advised with this pick.

A rookie TE in Marcel Jenson and Levine Toilolo as our TE rotation, I do not like. This is were you should have spent some money in FA for a vet TE.

De'Anthony Thomas, H yeah, might have to go with a 4th round selection for him. Every year it seems like we pass over rb with his type of skill set and it drives me crazy.

FA selections: F -

Draft: B+

Overall: C

Horrible mock, Micheal Johnson is overrated and gets tremendous help from Geno Atkins one of the best if not the best DT in the NFL when he is in the lineup.

Osi Umenyiora - 45 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 3 FF, and 1 pick

Micheal Johnson - 51 tackels, 3 sacks, 2 FF, and 1 pick

PEOPLE STOP MOCKING MICHEAL JOHNSON!

Baltimore is not letting go Arthur Jones.

Malcom Jenkins has been one of their best defenders this season wouldn't mind him, don't see him going tho.

Jake Matthews is not falling to 6th, love you're alternate pick in Cameron Erving, need to do more analysis on him but, from just a few quick peeks at him, I'am really high on him.

Aaron Donald, F TO THE YEAH, this is who we need, nice selection, currently a late 1st early second pick, within our range to obtain, by the time combine rolls around he could be a mid 1st rounder. Let's hope he stays a secret.

Anthony Steen, don't know anything about this kat other than he plays for the tide. I would be very careful taking a tide o-linemen, they play great as a unit in college, but when they hit the pros they don't fair as well, so caution advised with this pick.

A rookie TE in Marcel Jenson and Levine Toilolo as our TE rotation, I do not like. This is were you should have spent some money in FA for a vet TE.

De'Anthony Thomas, H yeah, might have to go with a 4th round selection for him. Every year it seems like we pass over rb with his type of skill set and it drives me crazy.

FA selections: F -

Draft: B+

Overall: C

How did my mock get a B+ but get a "horrible?" Lol I think MJ would be good with Nolan. Hardy and Orakpo are options as well. Not a lot of great FA TEs out there, but I could see us getting a vet,

Be interesting with Arthur jones. Yiu may be right and he stays ravens. Joseph is another possibility or even randy Starks

Thanks for comments

Overall it got a, C grade. The horrible part is more towards the FA part of you're mock.

And thank you for a clean detailed mock, I love reading mocks with thought put in to it and this is one of those.

I'am leaning to the idea of spending money towards to O-Line and go defense heavy with the draft. Haven't decided yet.

Lol thanks. I don't believe beyond possibly guard you'll get good FAs on OL. And even they cost big

I think you have done some good things here. In my mock that will be coming later I want Michael Johnson and Clowney and just end the pass rushing problems we have permanently.

Don't like Jake Mathews at all. Like Donald round 2 although I really want a big guard at that spot. If we can't get Clowney I wouldn't mind a trade back.

In this scenario I would trade back and try to get CJ Mosely. Pair him with Spoon and Worrilow next season. With Bartu as the main backup.

Still get Michael Johnson.

I haven't followed Michael Johnson lately. I have read that Cincy is not very happy with him. The interweb is full of dung, so I can't judge whether Johnson is a good signing. I do like your overall strategy. I agree that after Clowney, an OT makes the most sense. Baker is not a long term answer (injuries). Drafting a franchise LT would be a smart move.

I prefer to sign a veteran RG to position between Hawley/Konz and a rookie OT. We won't have to spend much. A serviceable and savvy player will do.

I'll grade this one: B+. You support your choices with solid logic.

Michael Johnson is another Ray Edward. Most of his success came from the other players on the Dline

Honestly most DEs get their success that way--hence why you invest in in interior DL and secondary. Guys like peppers, and Clowney are few. Hence why I advocate expending dollars in secondary (Jenkins) interior dline (FA and draft).

I haven't followed Michael Johnson lately. I have read that Cincy is not very happy with him. The interweb is full of dung, so I can't judge whether Johnson is a good signing. I do like your overall strategy. I agree that after Clowney, an OT makes the most sense. Baker is not a long term answer (injuries). Drafting a franchise LT would be a smart move.

I prefer to sign a veteran RG to position between Hawley/Konz and a rookie OT. We won't have to spend much. A serviceable and savvy player will do.

Thanks, I'd be great with a FA G. Depends on cost. I think MJ is a solid player. Great against run, has pass rush ability. I think you've got to also build the interior line as he's no Clowney

yeah i dont really understand the MJ things either. i just dont think the guy is that great. I would much rather have a guy like orakpo. Im so tired of hearing versatile. I want a freaking guy that guys pressure. hey cant sign him? they are not even trying a went a drafted his replacement. What is that telling you?

nice read msalmon.......like others, I am starting to cool a little bit on Michael Johnson - his lack of production this year is scaring me off. If you replace Johnson with Orakpo, now we are cooking - like the other moves.

I could live with a first round offensive tackle as long as they are capable of playing left tackle. Instead of drafting the Alabama guard in the 3rd, I would prefer to sign either Alex Mack© or Jon Asamoah(G) in free agency.

overall, I like it though - good job!

nice read msalmon.......like others, I am starting to cool a little bit on Michael Johnson - his lack of production this year is scaring me off. If you replace Johnson with Orakpo, now we are cooking - like the other moves.

I could live with a first round offensive tackle as long as they are capable of playing left tackle. Instead of drafting the Alabama guard in the 3rd, I would prefer to sign either Alex Mack© or Jon Asamoah(G) in free agency.

overall, I like it though - good job!

Hey we get Mack I'm all over that, bro. You know cap better than me. Could we afford Mack or Asamoah and a DE like Orakpo or hardy or MJ?

The reason I like MJ is that I think he'll strive in Nolan's offense if we build interior line.

I agree on OT, if they can't play LT now or be ready to step up when we toss baker in 15, I say pass

Thanks,sir.