We Should Demand Excellence

stlouisfalcon

It seems as though this organization has been making excuses all season about the failures of this team; injuries, youth, etc. It just seems like Arthur Blank is so blinded by loyalty that he's lost sight of the big picture, and that's putting butts in seats to generate revenue. The best way to do that is to have a quality product on the field. The best way to ensure that quality is to demand excellence out of the GM, HC, and the players; holding themselves accountable for not doing their absolute best in a game. I've seen Smitty smiling at players as they come off the field after poor play. That's unacceptable. He doesn't have to scream or belittle them, but he should make them feel shameful for lackluster performance. There has to be a mantra of excellence instilled in this organization, and I don't feel there is.

Before you can demand excellence from someone they must be capable of delivering excellence

There only a few players on this team capable of delivering excellence

Ryan Julio, Roddy, Gonzo (past), maybe SJax of Offense

No one on Defense ---maybe Moore (Trufant Alford too soon to judge)

It seems as though this organization has been making excuses all season about the failures of this team; injuries, youth, etc. It just seems like Arthur Blank is so blinded by loyalty that he's lost sight of the big picture, and that's putting butts in seats to generate revenue. The best way to do that is to have a quality product on the field. The best way to ensure that quality is to demand excellence out of the GM, HC, and the players; holding themselves accountable for not doing their absolute best in a game. I've seen Smitty smiling at players as they come off the field after poor play. That's unacceptable. He doesn't have to scream or belittle them, but he should make them feel shameful for lackluster performance. There has to be a mantra of excellence instilled in this organization, and I don't feel there is.

are you like a motivational speaker ? that is so profound!

In a way I understand where you're coming from. In other NFL towns, the media outlets, mainly newspapers, hold their teams feet to the fire when they put a sub par product on the field. In Atlanta, not so much. For one the AJC has an idiot for the Falcons beat writer. He never asks the tough questions of the organization or provides anything worth reading. Who wants to see a dam playing time summary after every game? Everything is fluff. And don't get me started with the scripted, softball interviews Dave Archer does after each game with Mike Smith. Its pure sickening. I think this organization has gotten too comfortable and needs a subtle shake up.

Edited by rollo lawson

I don't want to make them feel shameful. That would be mean and I don't want to be mean.

They don't read this MB so unless you wanna protest infront of Flowery Branch is dunno how you expect to tell them you demand excellence,

You don't know me, you don't know my life.

I have followed the Falcons, and Steelers, and NFL in general since 1977. I have seen most the Super Bowls from then on. I have seen all the great teams, and QBs, and coaches. I have seen a lot of good teams and thanks to the Smith family Falcons, lots of bad ones too.

AB is in fact committed to creating a winning franchise. HIs coach has been key in bringing a winning culture and attitude to our locker room and onto the field. The GM has, in my opinion, failed to live up to his end. But he is trying, I give him that. TD is smart. He has seen what works, and what does not. I -hope- TD turns out to be half as smart as we need him to be, and learns from his mistakes.

Just because Smitty does not do things the way you want him to, does not mean Smitty does not know what he is doing. I trust Smitty a lot more than I trust you, sir.

I think AB should give Smitty a five year deal, just to let everyone know that Smitty is our coach, so we might as well get used to it.

We are supposed to Rise Up!

We didn't win a SB and only one playoff game, but if the previous 5 seasons wasn't Rising Up for one of the worst franchises in the history of sport, then people don't have sense of Falcons history.

Never has the team had two consecutive winning seasons, then they get 5 and have a bad year and suddenly everyone's running around like peasants @ The French Revolution...smh, lol

I'll answer most of the typical ATL ho-hum comments to my statement in no order, I like the Raiders committment to excellence reference (guess winning 3 of 5 SuperBowls dosen't count? who in ATL wouldn't take that now?) yes, they are a bad franchise at the moment! As for me & the NY teams, I am an Islander Hockey fan, maybe the last Pro Sport Dynasty ever? Yes, they have had there problems! Not a Ranger or Devil fan but they have won the cups inthe last 20 years! I don't follow basketball, sorry, but the knicks won a championship in '69, maybe the Nets won the ABA? I don't know, but I did go to a NBA championship (Nets) a few years back, I stopped following baseball many years ago, still go to a free game once a year, Don't even start with the Yankees & 27 championships or the Mets who can't compete with them & there 2 or 3. Ok, lets go to my ATL Falcons, around since '66 (I followed them in the early 70's....1 Super Bowl appearence! (In Miami vs Denver which I was at!) OK, you choose any NY franchise since '66 & name what team that my Falcons have a better Championship resume' than a NYC based Pro Sports team....can't....just back it up when you respond...nothing against the Braves too.

I'll answer most of the typical ATL ho-hum comments to my statement in no order, I like the Raiders committment to excellence reference (guess winning 3 of 5 SuperBowls dosen't count? who in ATL wouldn't take that now?) yes, they are a bad franchise at the moment! As for me & the NY teams, I am an Islander Hockey fan, maybe the last Pro Sport Dynasty ever? Yes, they have had there problems! Not a Ranger or Devil fan but they have won the cups inthe last 20 years! I don't follow basketball, sorry, but the knicks won a championship in '69, maybe the Nets won the ABA? I don't know, but I did go to a NBA championship (Nets) a few years back, I stopped following baseball many years ago, still go to a free game once a year, Don't even start with the Yankees & 27 championships or the Mets who can't compete with them & there 2 or 3. Ok, lets go to my ATL Falcons, around since '66 (I followed them in the early 70's....1 Super Bowl appearence! (In Miami vs Denver which I was at!) OK, you choose any NY franchise since '66 & name what team that my Falcons have a better Championship resume' than a NYC based Pro Sports team....can't....just back it up when you respond...nothing against the Braves too.

why don't you just brag about it