It Looks Like We May Coach The Senior Bowl

atljbo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat Hill has improved the line technique throughout the season. The issue is in the scheme both run and pass blocking. that's on Koetter and Dunn.

maybe the problem with the offensive line is those guys from the "grassy knoll". You have already ruled out the offensive linemen themselves and the O-Line coach, Scott ;)

Pat Hill has improved the line technique throughout the season. The issue is in the scheme both run and pass blocking. that's on Koetter and Dunn.

I think that you are grasping at straws, though I don't understand your agenda. The OL coach must work to execute the OC's scheme. Why hasn't Hill done a better job of coaching under Koetter? Give me a break! All I can think of is how many times our OL's are left blocking empty space or simply getting trucked by a defender.

NO. Whether is is from lack of OL talent, poor coaching, or both, our OL is the reason we lose most games. A change needs to come.

I think that you are grasping at straws, though I don't understand your agenda. The OL coach must work to execute the OC's scheme. Why hasn't Hill done a better job of coaching under Koetter? Give me a break! All I can think of is how many times our OL's are left blocking empty space or simply getting trucked by a defender.

NO. Whether is is from lack of OL talent, poor coaching, or both, our OL is the reason we lose most games. A change needs to come.

precisely.

I don't understand what Scott is trying to say either. It is bizarre - "the problem is not what you think it is" - "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" - "things are not as they seem" - "trying to be too smart by half"

throw in any of those cliche's.

Scott, you are not smarter than us because you are "a writer" (Ledbetter is a writer for a real newspaper and he is as dumb as a rock). The offensive line sucks and needs upgrading - it does not need tweeking. We may only replace one starter but need to replace at least two. Konz sucks, Hawley is a back-up. Baker is forever injured. Garrett Reynolds will be selling insurance next year. Holmes might develop but, at a glacial pace.

precisely.

I don't understand what Scott is trying to say either. It is bizarre - "the problem is not what you think it is" - "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" - "things are not as they seem" - "trying to be too smart by half"

throw in any of those cliche's.

Scott, you are not smarter than us because you are "a writer" (Ledbetter is a writer for a real newspaper and he is as dumb as a rock). The offensive line sucks and needs upgrading - it does not need tweeking. We may only replace one starter but need to replace at least two. Konz sucks, Hawley is a back-up. Baker is forever injured. Garrett Reynolds will be selling insurance next year. Holmes might develop but, at a glacial pace.

no, I'm making a point that the team needs to let the line have some chemistry. but fans are too impatient and want everything now, now, now. That's not how the NFL works.

Sorry, Scott. I have never read any of your blogs, etc. Because of that, I am not aware of the argument that you are making. From the little that I have read here, you believe that our OL has a bright future. I am to give credit to what you have to say, provided you can bring some knowledge to the table. For instance, if you have insider information, or you have been present at closed practices, or if you have had a substantive conversation with a coach, then please inform me.

As a long time supporter (not fanatic) of the team, I have critically watched the Falcons' performances on the field. I have, for seasons, been writing about the poor play of our OL. I have also been frustrated to see our FO apparently regard the OL as a secondary issue.

If you have the time and patience, please go one by one, through our OL's, and tell me why you are optimistic.

Example:

Peter Konz- I spoke with coach Hill about PK. The feeling is that he needs to improve his core strength. He is presently on a strict work-out regimen and has shown considerable improvement. Additionally, Pat Hill is pleased with PK's progress with regards to his blocking technique, specifically, his blocking stance in passing situations, his pad level for run blocking and his recognition of blitzers. Pat Hill intends to employ more zone blocking in the future because he believes that such schemes will make better use of the talents on the roster.

That is how a real writer/reporter supports his/her opinions. Now, if anyone can provide that kind of insight, then please do so. You will gain the respect, admiration and following from everyone on these boards. In the absence of such reporting, the views in these threads can only be treated as uninformed opinions...yours included.

Edited by etherdome

On the flipside, Scott - when something is not working, denial of the real issue(lack of talent) is not the answer. This line was flawed from the get-go and more.time to.gel is not the answer. A small/incremental improvement is not what the Falcons O-line needs. They need real talent and significant improvement. Matt Ryan is not a mobile QB and he does not slip/slide well either.

On the flipside, Scott - when something is not working, denial of the real issue(lack of talent) is not the answer. This line was flawed from the get-go and more.time to.gel is not the answer. A small/incremental improvement is not what the Falcons O-line needs. They need real talent and significant improvement. Matt Ryan is not a mobile QB and he does not slip/slide well either.

they haven't had a small, incremental improvement. They have been much better later in the year than they were early on. Acting like the tackles are why the line is bad shows a lack of understanding about how pockets are formed. Ryan finally had a pocket to step up into against the 49ers and he did well because of it.