Ot Next Season

falcndave

Has Schraeder shown enough to give you any confidence if we go into to next season counting on Schraeder to hold down the RT spot?

I think everyone agrees we still need C/OG help. However, we may not be as far away as we think we are at tackle? Someone needs to take Holmes on a light jog about 3 days a week during the off season. If he shows up able to walk out to the practice field without having to stop for oxygen we just may be able to live with our tackles. I start to feel better about LT with an 'in condition" Holmes starting with Baker for depth.

I agree there are upgrades to be had in FA. However, I just wonder if our money is better spent on other needs.

My answer? I haven't seen enough from Schraeder yet. He was great against the 9ers, but he sucked wind the week before. I want veteran depth at OT, even if we do end up going with guys on the roster as starters.

literally, every position on the OL can be upgraded. sad, but true.

Now it is not realistic to have 5 new player on the line in one offseason.

Baker will be here, but wouldnt pencil him as the definate starter at LT.

Blalock will likely stay because he is stable, but tea could definately get better performance for less cap hit eslewhere.

Not sure about Konz. In my eye he is a failure. I dont think they give up, but will bring in stiff competition for him. He is still affordable as a backup.

I cold see Holmes and Schraeder competing for RT, but I hope not. I think we need a new face there.

It really is the toughest group to figure out who will be back in 14. I keep hearing the are 'improving', i hope that doesnt cloud the senses of the staff to give them another year to 'grow' together.

If we HAVE to keep 3 of these starters, I would keep Baker, Blalock and Hawley and try to desperately upgade the RT and RG spots. (sign best RG out there and draft a top OT in round 1 to start at RT then replace Baker at LT when he gets hurt by week 4.

Baker will be here, but wouldnt pencil him as the definate starter at LT.

Blalock will likely stay because he is stable, but tea could definately get better performance for less cap hit eslewhere.

Not sure about Konz. In my eye he is a failure. I dont think they give up, but will bring in stiff competition for him. He is still affordable as a backup.

I cold see Holmes and Schraeder competing for RT, but I hope not. I think we need a new face there.

It really is the toughest group to figure out who will be back in 14. I keep hearing the are 'improving', i hope that doesnt cloud the senses of the staff to give them another year to 'grow' together.

If we HAVE to keep 3 of these starters, I would keep Baker, Blalock and Hawley and try to desperately upgade the RT and RG spots. (sign best RG out there and draft a top OT in round 1 to start at RT then replace Baker at LT when he gets hurt by week 4.

Sort of my perspective. Get two starters in FA. Keep Blalock. Unfortunately Baker is gonna be the LT. Then you hope Johnson, Holmes, Schroeder, and Konz battle and get better from competition for the last starting spot

Our most important OL need is at guard, not tackle.

We need to draft a big, strong guard, hopefully in the second round, like David Yankey from Stanford or that Xavier kid from UCLA. If we trade down in the first for some reason, we should also look at Cyril Richardson from Baylor.

A road grader guard would help us be better in short yardage and goal line situations because teams will then have to respect our running game instead of playing the pass 100%. Also, Ryan, like any immobile QB, is at his worst when he faces pressure up the middle. Think back to the Tampa game when Gerald McCoy was sitting on Ryan's face every other play and the Aints with Akiem Hicks, the Jets with Mo Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson, etc.

Rookie guards have more success on average than rookie tackles. Prefer to grab the best RT in FA and draft a good road grader Guard in the 2nd. 1st round pick needs to be DE/olb

I know Hawley was alot better than Konz at Center but I am hoping we upgrade Center with a Vet FA like Mack. I also want to upgrade RG with a stud from the draft. I think with an improvement in the middle we will be ok at the TAckle position.

I love Mack too, but with Hawley's play this season, wouldn't we be better off using those resources on other areas?

I don't think we'll find an OT in FA that is worth paying. It's really by default that you have to draft one. And once you reach that conclusion, you realize that it usually takes a 1st round pick to get it right. It's the best choice from a list of mediocre options.

Too bad the most proven FA along the OL is at C, where Hawley is the one guy who might actually be able to be our starter going forward. If there were a FA OG or OT as good as Mack, we'd have to be among the top teams in pursuit.

I don't think we'll find an OT in FA that is worth paying. It's really by default that you have to draft one. And once you reach that conclusion, you realize that it usually takes a 1st round pick to get it right. It's the best choice from a list of mediocre options.

Too bad the most proven FA along the OL is at C, where Hawley is the one guy who might actually be able to be our starter going forward. If there were a FA OG or OT as good as Mack, we'd have to be among the top teams in pursuit.

Yup. You draft one of Matthews, Erving, Lewan or Robinson put them at RT. Dump baker in 15 or 16 when hit not bad.

Back to OP . No Holmes or Schraeder have shown more than back up ability at this point