Van...here's My Answer To Your Question " What's Maidens Best Album? "

Kevo

Number of the beast was the answer I was looking for from chef.

But I'm really never been able to get into them.

A few songs yes.

I just feel like the music never matched what I thought the artwork portrayed.

Were you expecting that record to be heavier?

What year was it that you first heard it?

All albums from the first, "Iron Maiden," to "Somewhere in Time" are like children...hard to pick a favorite. After SiT, they get very hit and miss.

While having some great strong tracks, "Number and Powerslave"" are probably the least listened to, start to finish. "Killers, Iron Maiden, Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time" are the strongest.

BTW, Rave, the title track to Number of the Beast is a story of a guy who stumbles upon a Satanic ritual who gets freaked out and goes to the police: "This can't go on...I must inform the law..." Just saying.

A little blurb about me and music...Used to listen to all things metal, then I felt personal conviction over bands like Tool and Slayer (used to be two of my absolute favorites)... and I had to cut them out. Never felt that same conviction over Maiden. I realized that the conviction came from the Spirit in which the music was created...Tool and Slayer are unashamed ANTI-CHRIST, and I think that's why they were so personally convicting. While certainly not pro-God, I don't believe Maiden's music was ever created in an ANTI-CHRIST manner.

Take it or leave it; I try to follow the Spirit's guidance in these matters...

All albums from the first, "Iron Maiden," to "Somewhere in Time" are like children...hard to pick a favorite. After SiT, they get very hit and miss.

While having some great strong tracks, "Number and Powerslave"" are probably the least listened to, start to finish. "Killers, Iron Maiden, Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time" are the strongest.

BTW, Rave, the title track to Number of the Beast is a story of a guy who stumbles upon a Satanic ritual who gets freaked out and goes to the police: "This can't go on...I must inform the law..." Just saying.

A little blurb about me and music...Used to listen to all things metal, then I felt personal conviction over bands like Tool and Slayer (used to be two of my absolute favorites)... and I had to cut them out. Never felt that same conviction over Maiden. I realized that the conviction came from the Spirit in which the music was created...Tool and Slayer are unashamed ANTI-CHRIST, and I think that's why they were so personally convicting. While certainly not pro-God, I don't believe Maiden's music was ever created in an ANTI-CHRIST manner.

Take it or leave it; I try to follow the Spirit's guidance in these matters...

Ive had the same convictions over music such as Slipknot and Alice In Chains.

I find Demon Hunter, Disciple, and Red as good replacements.

Anytime a band makes a Satanic lyric, graphic, or the like I stop listening to them.

I've gone out to dinner after a show with Disciple...great dudes! Their music and their faith is real.

BTW, I commend you, Rave...I know what a big Slipknot fan you are/were?...

Since we got a good one going here...what's your favorite Metal "Holy" song??

Mine's "Creeping Death" by Metallica...Story of the Exodus!!

"Now let my people go...Land of Goshen...GO! I will be with thee...Bush on Fire

So let it be written, so let it be done...I'm sent by the Chosen One..."

Ive had the same convictions over music such as Slipknot and Alice In Chains.

I find Demon Hunter, Disciple, and Red as good replacements.

Anytime a band makes a Satanic lyric, graphic, or the like I stop listening to them.

Yep. It happened to the new Anthrax lineup (with John Bush and Rob Caggiano) and totally bummed me out...Great band, great music, hateful anti-Christ spirit. Had to drop the new stuff...

Yep. It happened to the new Anthrax lineup (with John Bush and Rob Caggiano) and totally bummed me out...Great band, great music, hateful anti-Christ spirit. Had to drop the new stuff...

I saw the new Avenged Sevenfold set for their tour. The curtains have upside down crosses on them. I was very disappointed to see that.

Im figuring its part of the grieving process after losing Jimmy, but still I cant support that sort of thing.

I've gone out to dinner after a show with Disciple...great dudes! Their music and their faith is real.

BTW, I commend you, Rave...I know what a big Slipknot fan you are/were?...

Since we got a good one going here...what's your favorite Metal "Holy" song??

Mine's "Creeping Death" by Metallica...Story of the Exodus!!

"Now let my people go...Land of Goshen...GO! I will be with thee...Bush on Fire

So let it be written, so let it be done...I'm sent by the Chosen One..."

That would have to be Chapter Four by Avenged Sevenfold. About Cain and Able.

"Far away in this land I must go,

out of the sight of the One.

A punishment sent from His hand

a hardship that no one should know

Now go out of the sight of the One,

away in this land you must go."

I met Disciple at Six Flags. Real cool guys.

Yes expected it to be heavier.

Didn't really hear them until my teenage years. (Mid 90's)

So that may be my issue with them as they may have been heavier at the time of their release.

Thats my problem with most metal before the 90s. Its not really heavy. Maybe the look and the art was, but the music itself wasnt. Maybe the lyrics, but not the sound. If you get what I mean.

After hearing Korn (self titled), Slipknot, Fear Factory, Coal Chamber, etc. 70s-80s metal seems soft.

The only pre-90s metal bands I like are Metallica and Megadeth.

Also slayer is very hard for me to listen to, but metal wasn't the music of my upbringing.

More of a hip hop kind of feller.

Speaking of hip hop, am I the only one that feels that with each passing decade the talent pool gets more shallow in that genre? I mean, I grew up with 2Pac, Bone Thugs N Harmony, DMX, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre. etc, and now I couldnt name 2 rappers in this decade that are better than any of those guys. Rap in general is a farse of what it used to be.

There is a progression of musical influence that goes on over the years.

Iron Maiden influenced Metallica who in turn influenced the modern metal bands.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica

Metallica was formed in Los Angeles, California, in late 1981 when the Danish-born drummer Lars Ulrich placed an advertisement in a Los Angeles newspaper —The Recycler—which read "Drummer looking for other metal musicians to jam with Tygers of Pan Tang, Diamond Head and Iron Maiden."

Edited by Kevo

There is a progression of musical influence that goes on over the years.

Iron Maiden influenced Metallica who in turn influenced the modern metal bands.

http://en.m.wikipedi.../wiki/Metallica

Metallica was formed in Los Angeles, California, in late 1981 when the Danish-born drummer Lars Ulrich placed an advertisement in a Los Angeles newspaper —The Recycler—which read "Drummer looking for other metal musicians to jam with Tygers of Pan Tang, Diamond Head and Iron Maiden."

Its like today's rock being influenced by the Beatles. Im not a Beatles fan. They sound like a boy band. Too poppy for my taste.

Never was a fan of Elvis either.

80`s-90s where basically the birth of many cross over genres.

NWA invented ganster rap

the most hardcore rap feud before that was probably LL kool J vs Kool Moe D.

The 80s hairbands where being marketed big time. Side note. Bon Jovi is still the top grossing band in the world still to this day. Its true.

But rock was being split from the 70`s stuff. With groups like Maiden and Judas priest and quoit riot etc.

Then you had way off to left field the Kiss and Alic cooper game changers. Enter G.W.A.R.

Then we had the rock go sideways with bands like pearl jam and nirvana where rock basically all became about that sound.

But rap saw the birth of uncensored lyrics with 2 live crew.

So much of the music game and society changed around those times. Now music companies have a strangle hold on the music business. Holding onto a dead business and sucking every ounce of blood it can get from fans and artists.

Bands cant afford to be bands and split money 4 or 5 ways. record companies make all the money off CD sales. Only way the artist make money is by touring. Then they have to spend money to make money.

The first band I ever really was a fan of was Nirvana and then it went from there. My musical taste was stunted at first because from 89-94 I was in a Christian Children's home that wouldnt allow us to listen to anything but Star 94 and 98.5. So, when the grudge era came along I really grabbed a hold of it. Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Silver Chair, Candle Box, Stabbing Westward, Soul Asylum, etc. LOVE THAT ERA! There will never be a better music genre in my opinion.

I wasn't a big fan of Silver Chair or Candle Box...everything that I've heard from those two groups sounds the same to me.

As a musician myself, there doesn't seem to be much variation in each one of Candle Box's songs or Silver Chair's songs.

I wasn't a big fan of Silver Chair or Candle Box...everything that I've heard from those two groups sounds the same to me.

As a musician myself, there doesn't seem to be much variation in each one of Candle Box's songs or Silver Chair's songs.

Being that I write poetry from time to time, the lyrics are all that matter to me.

As I said, when grunge was first getting started I was away from my family and going through a lot of stuff. So that was the music that I most identified with. Nothing Silver Chair did was ever as good as Frog Stomp, but Candle Box had a couple of good albums. Not the 2 best bands out at the time, but not the worst.

Also, Cheffie, I just realized another metal band that has really made me question listening to them. I get really uncomfortable with some of the songs by Five Finger Death Punch. They have some very anti-God lyrics.

That kind of stuff is why I could never get into bands like Cradle of Filth. Who wants to listen to music that talks about eating Christians? Its funny that Christians should "live and let live", but Atheists/Satanists want Christians to shut up, fall in line, or just die.

Never got started with 5FDP... their first radio hit that I heard was "Never Enough" and I thought it was the cheesiest thing I'd heard in a long time. I swear, whenever I hear him start singing..."I'm so fed up with everyone around me..." I think of some dude angry-skipping... seriously, for someone like yourself who's into lyrics, that song has to drive you insane, it's so elementary.

I think I've stopped growing musically...Probably the last band I really dug is Shinedown...the last disc I truly flipped over was Godsmack's first one...got a little Mudvayne on the ol' Spotify playlist and a little Stone Sour...but mostly, I go backwards now. Heck, when I started hearing Metallica on the CLASSIC ROCK stations, I knew I probably wasn't going much further...

And give me Foo Fighters Greatest Hits over Nirvana Nevermind any day