Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Return of the Gaucho

Mcclain, How Did He Regress So Much?

I see a lot of people upset at Harry Douglas, and I agree that his refusal to go get the ball had a lot to do with the game clinching pick 6, but I honestly would say McClain did far more to cost the Falcons the game last night than anyone else on the team.

I was one of those who thought McClain may be able to develop into a #2 CB, and I was a bit ticked at the Alford pick when the OL needed help. However, after last night I am convinced he is no better than a #4 CB. Every time he was on the field I could see what was about to happen. Boldin and Crabtree abused him time and time again. Am I the wrong on this? I honestly can't see him sticking around with this team in any meaningful role next year other than special teams.

Regress? He was never good, there's a reason he couldn't stick with other teams, I believe including a Carolina team that had the universe's worst secondary. People overhyped a game or two where he was decent and tried to turn him into something he's not. Hopefully TD isn't dumb enough to keep him around, but after that Baker contract I wouldn't put anything past that goofball.

Thought Alford was on Crabtree most of the night

He was, but they would move Boldin (mostly) or Crab (occasionally) into the slot when the Falcons went nickel. I was sitting around the 10 yardline, so I may have been seeing things incorrectly on the farside of the field, but more often than not I recall seeing McClain giving up first downs.

Regress? He was never good, there's a reason he couldn't stick with other teams, I believe including a Carolina team that had the universe's worst secondary. People overhyped a game or two where he was decent and tried to turn him into something he's not. Hopefully TD isn't dumb enough to keep him around, but after that Baker contract I wouldn't put anything past that goofball.

Agree. Sad, but McClain is just not very good. Pretty sure he'll be here next season anyway.

i thought McClain and Alford had tough nites coverin' last nite...but i ain't kickin' either one to the curb. they were in zone a lot last nite due to Kapernick...but a tough nite regardless...

Neither one is good at zone lol. I still like McClain tho.

& isn't this Alford's 8th start? Maybe I'm wrong.

This board is awful about doing that.

last year 2012 he was playing with 2 veteran CBs Robinson and Samuel, ,even if their play had fallen off some--- they still were smart and understood what to tell him to do.

This year 2013 he is playing with 2 rookies Trufant and Alford (mostly) and Both of them are just as naive as he is about what to do.

last year 2012 he was playing with 2 veteran CBs Robinson and Samuel, ,even if their play had fallen off some--- they still were smart and understood what to tell him to do.

This year 2013 he is playing with 2 rookies Trufant and Alford (mostly) and Both of them are just as naive as he is about what to do.

I can see where that could be a contributing factor, but still he seems to fit the trend around here of being a very average player. Not terrible, but nothing special either. Hopefully Alford and Trufant will improve enough from this season to help pick up his slack next season.

They drew a tough assignment last night. CBs had to sit in zone and be "disciplined" so Kapernicus wouldn't break a long run plus they were defending some pretty good WRs. Boldin is so underrated its not funny and Crabtree has developed into a pretty dam good player too.

To be fair Boldin burns just about everybody.

McClain is what he is: a good man cover nickleback. Nothing more nothing less. He's really good at that too, but when you put him in zone or try to move him outside he struggles.

McClain is the same player he was last year. If you remember seeing him in the preseason last year he was getting burnt repeatedly, but was always in good coverage on the plays. I wasn't sure he would even make the roster.

He is still in good coverage for the most part. Some plays he just hasn't made. But people need to relax. NB is an extremely hard position to play and he is the best NB we have on our roster easily.

He's another product of the message board over hype team. People hyped him up after 1 interception and pff rankings(lmao). He was never that great in coverage last year, he was helped a ton but over thrown passes and bad passes. He is a great tackler though

He's another product of the message board over hype team. People hyped him up after 1 interception and pff rankings(lmao). He was never that great in coverage last year, he was helped a ton but over thrown passes and bad passes. He is a great tackler though

"Pff rankings (lmao)"