Let's Have A Logical Discussion About Harry Douglas

SativaSam

OK so I've asked around the interwebs many times for a stat that shows the results of Ryan targetting HD, whether it be TDs, INTs, incomplete passes, etc...It seems like every week, or every other week, whenever Ryan targets Douglas, something bad happens. Now obviously the pick 6 last night was a crazy play, but I believe it was just last week that Ryan was picked off by trying to throw deep to Harry. We all know the obvious examples... NFC Championship game (tripped over his own feet), last night, believe he fumbled a punt return that allowed the Dolphins to get back in the game (or Bucs, can't remember right now - this was when our season wasn't completely over) it just seems like this guy makes 5 negative plays for every 1 good play he does make.

What I'm getting at is, what do you think is the deal with Douglas? If you just look at his stats from an outsider's perspective you'd probably think he's having a solid year, but as a Falcons fan who watches every game I can't disagree more. I truly believe he is a catalyst for negative plays for the Falcons. I just don't see what this guy is good for. He's useless in the redzone (see: his TDs scored since being drafted)

The one thing I wish I could wrap my head around is why Ryan seems to throw a pick whenever he targets HD deep. The play last night wasn't anything deep obviously, but I am just speaking in general.

Harry Douglas is not a receiver to be trusted. He finds a way to fk up in criticial situations. Numerous times throughout the years, but it really started last year in the NFCCG with the infamous slip and fall on a clear path to the endzone. Since then, he's been under a microscope for me, and honestly, you don't need a microscope to see that HD is overrated here in the slot and cannot come up in the clutch. Stupid mental error after mental error. I want him either gone or benched/replaced.

Choker. End of.

The biggest problem for me is that even if you ignore all of the mental mishaps he has, he is not a deep threat, is not a redzone threat, and cannot create separation in the slot on 3rd down. So for me, I just don't see why TD keeps him around... oh wait, TD drafted him. I answered my own question.

The biggest problem for me is that even if you ignore all of the mental mishaps he has, he is not a deep threat, is not a redzone threat, and cannot create separation in the slot on 3rd down. So for me, I just don't see why TD keeps him around... oh wait, TD drafted him. I answered my own question.

This^

Harry is solid. Not good,not terrible but solid. And that's all you can ask from your number THREE reciever. Not sure why some people have such unrealistic expections for a #3 slot reciever. There is always a scapegoat after a loss and this time it was Harry.

But see, here's the problem. When he was the number FOUR receiver after Julio, Tony, and Roddy, he didn't beat his 1-on-1 matchups. Harry should have been having a field day out there because he NEVER had double coverage and was useless. In a bigger role this season, all he's done is fumble, trip over his own feet, or make Ryan THINK he is open downfield but he's really not and boom: Interception.

I doubt there will be many logical discussions the morning after that play.

But I'll throw my two cents in. HD is a good #3 WR, and this year he really stepped up with our two best WRs being mostly out. He went over 1,000 yards last night, but many of us are in no position to be congratulating him.

I don't even blame him for that play yesterday. Brock came in and disrupted the pass and HD did all he could to muscle it away. Bowman was in the right place at the right time. If it harmlessly falls to the turf, we may go on to win, and no one is talking about how bad HD is today.

With that said, I do think he is involved in a disproportionate amount of bad plays. I don't mind him as a #3, but I also don't want him anywhere near the ball in clutch times. let him get his 3-4 catches in the 1st, 2nd and 3 quarters, then just let him block for other players in the 4th and prey he doesn't get called for a hold.

Harry is solid. Not good,not terrible but solid. And that's all you can ask from your number THREE reciever. Not sure why some people have such unrealistic expections for a #3 slot reciever. There is always a scapegoat after a loss and this time it was Harry.

Probably because of what others have as a #3.

• James Jones
  • Ted Ginn
  • Lance Moore
  • Santana Moss
  • Robert Woods
  • Eric Decker

IMHO, If Douglas hasn't broken out yet, he most likely won't.

Edited by cnst

Harry's career high TDs for a season is 2. That should tell you what kind of player Harry is in the redzone. Useless.

Matt Ryan career high in passing TDs is 32 . that should tell you all you need to know

Manning throws 51 TDs

Brady throw 50 TDs

Stafford 41 TDs

HD was 4th option most of the time on a QB that doesn't throw high amounts of TDs

Matt Ryan career high in passing TDs is 32 . that should tell you all you need to know

Manning throws 51 TDs

Brady throw 50 TDs

Stafford 41 TDs

HD was 4th option most of the time on a QB that doesn't throw high amounts of TDs

Still hasn't shown anything to make anyone believe he's a solid redzone target since he's been here.