Loss Hurts, But We Can Keep Clowney From Tampa...or Will We?

NCFalcon52

First, I was totally pulling for the win last night. Even though in May I would have wished they lost. They played hard. I didn't give them a chance with it being such an emotional night in San Fran. Great job Falcons!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1896112-2014-nfl-mock-draft-post-week-16-breakdown

Ok, I do see these scenarios playing out where the Rams take Matthews, they need help now Long is hurt. Also, every other team is mocked to a Qb! The biggest wild card is Oakland. No one has a clue what they will do. We just need them to beat Denver on Sunday.....bwhaaaahahaha...never mind.

However, this mock draft has us passing on Clowney (maybe he doesn't pass the Falcons Filter) and taking Barr instead. If I was Blank I might fire him in the draft war room if I thought he was really going to do that.

It will be interesting. Most likely scenario is that Clowney would easily fall to us be we trade up with the rams and give up multiple draft picks....but at least we got our guy. And who needs more rookies playing next year anyway. Give us 3 good players, we have too many young guys as it is. Right?

if Clowney falls to us (and TD feels hes not a complete idiot) then we take him, but no way should we trade UP to get him... Mack is gonna be a playmaker for years to come, put Mack, Worrilow and Bartu in the middle and trade Weatherspoon for some picks to use on the DL, we'll be stacked.

if Clowney falls to us (and TD feels hes not a complete idiot) then we take him, but no way should we trade UP to get him... Mack is gonna be a playmaker for years to come, put Mack, Worrilow and Bartu in the middle and trade Weatherspoon for some picks to use on the DL, we'll be stacked.

Spoon has not done anything to warrant any trade value. He is a free agent this offseason anyway.

To the OP I think we should stay in our draft slot and get The best lineman available or trade down

Forget Clowney and Matthews the Redskin win screwed any chance of that, my guess is we take that OLB from Buffalo Kahlil Mack

And not a chance we trade up, we are hurting right now in depth because of the Julio trade up

Edited by Nono

We need DL/OL help, not another LB.

6th is not a good spot to be in...

We're looking at the 2nd or 3rd best tackle... 2nd best pass rusher... Maybe the best DT but I don't think there are any DTs with a top 10 grade this year.

The sad thing is we're also probably out of trade range because the 'must have' players will be gone by then.

That Redskin win was sooo pointless.

Keep in mind this draft is assuming we lose, but you know darn well we are going to try and beat Carolina in week 17. If we win a meaningless game we will more than likely drop closer to the 10th pick which is shooting us in the foot. Hopefully we lose and the Raiders and Jags pull off a win moving us into the 4th spot.

There's no way TD would pass on Clowney....he's the purest system fit for what we're doing and it doesnt look like we'll be changing our approach too much.

The problem is, how we get Clowney? Our SOS is going to kill us in tie breakers here....

Not really. Clowney would essentially be an undersized 5-tech for us. He does not have the speed rush to play LEO DE/OLB.

Forget Clowney and Matthews the Redskin win screwed any chance of that, my guess is we take that OLB from Buffalo Kahlil Mack

And not a chance we trade up, we are hurting right now in depth because of the Julio trade up

We are not hurting in depth from the Julio trade.. we're hurting in depth from the 5 OL's in the first 3 rounds which all turned out to be busts.. If we hit on even 2 of them to be decent starters, and didn't let Abe go, we'd be laughing.

The julio trade up is NOTHING hurtful to this team. I wish people would understand that. Just cause you lost a couple draft choices DOES not mean the team isn't stacking talent. Look at the 2 linebackers for instance...Please folks, understand draft choices, even #1's are iffy and non proven talent in the NFL. I say, sneak up 1 slot if it means getting Clowney... Our Oline needs help at tackle in a big way. Mack, doesn't look better then Joplo imo. Same type players.

6th is not a good spot to be in...

We're looking at the 2nd or 3rd best tackle... 2nd best pass rusher... Maybe the best DT but I don't think there are any DTs with a top 10 grade this year.

The sad thing is we're also probably out of trade range because the 'must have' players will be gone by then.

That Redskin win was sooo pointless.

I agree about the Redskin win but I don't know that 6 is an awful position to be in. There's still a lot in play there.

1) I think Barr could be the best pass rusher in the class....we would just have to be more open about our scheme to truly use him. But he's very similar to Von Miller who is arguably the best rusher in the league when he's not suspended or his knee doesnt explode.

2) We could still be in play for a trade back to a team that wants a QB. The situation may dictate that a team behind us has to jump up ahead of us...we could pick up a pick or two and drop down to the early teens to pick a guy like Nix.

It's not the ideal slam dunk that Clowney would be....but there are still a ton of good players in this draft.

I dont want Clowney. I'd rather draft an O-Lineman and overpay Michael Johnson.. At least he's a proven commodity.

With the gigantic hole at DT and limited cap space I can pretty much guarantee you we will not be able to afford to overpay Johnson... If you're thinking free agent DEs it's probably going to be more of the same... old guys past their prime.

If you want an elite pass rusher we're going to have to draft one.

As it stands now and most likely will finish out we will be drafting 6th. The Rams will have the 2nd pick and they don't need a QB or DE. They will be looking to trade out or take the risk of drafting Matthews with the 2nd overall pick. That would be to high to draft Matthews not knowing if he's the real deal.

Maybe TD can pull off a trade and instead of losing a draft pick we flop 3rd round selection with them. We draft Clowney 2nd overall and pick in the middle of the 3rd round instead of early.