Official Mock Draft Ver. 1.0

Guest Negatorris

Guest Negatorris

Season is basically over, so these next four months will be attributed to the draft and free agency. I for one like that we are going with the Youth Movement, as it will set us up for success down the road. I wish we used this mentality to begin with instead of the 'we need to add one more piece for a championship' BS. A lot of our young guys have been gaining experience through trial by fire and we have two very talented center pieces so far in Trufant and Worrilow. Massaquoi and Bartu have shown flashes, and so has Alford. I believe they will be much improved next year. Defense is clearly the most important area that needs to be fixed, then comes the offensive line.

Also, the good thing is we should be picking relatively early for every single round this season, so if any players sneak into the lower round of their projection, we may be able to snag em up. I will be using CBSSports for round projections.

Note: This draft will not fix every hole of the Falcons, as I believe some can be fixed through free agency. This will be expressed in my first mock offseason.

Round 1

Pick #6

The Atlanta Falcons trade down, giving up their 1st round pick(6) to the Minnesota Vikings for their 1st round pick(8) and their 3rd round pick(72). The Vikings move up to safely grab their franchise QB.

With the 8th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Atlanta Falcons select OLB/DE Khalil Mack, Buffalo.

021b.jpg

Height: 6'3

Weight: 250lbs

Mack is an unquestionable leader with an unstoppable motor. Buffalo was never a good team, but it never stopped him from playing his heart out. He was a constant playmaker for Buffalo's defense, and a playmaker is something the Falcons have missed on the defensive side of the ball. He makes plays from EVERYWHERE on the football field. Mack racked up the fumbles, sacks, and interceptions in his time at Buffalo. Quite simply, Mack is a franchise defensive player, the kind of player you can build a defense around.

NFL Comparison: Justin Houston(KC)

Round 2

Pick #38

With the 38th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select DT Ra'shede Hageman, Minnesota.

130820142533-ra-shede-hageman-single-image-cut.jpg

Height: 6'6

Weight: 311lbs

A lot of you are very familiar with this physical specimen. Hageman exudes physicality and athleticism, something that has been lacking on this Atlanta defense for too long. Ra'Shede Hageman is simply a pain for opposing interior linemen. He constantly pushes his opponents into their own backfield to make plays, and his long frame also allows him to jump up and swat away passes. He has been compared to JJ Watt for his body type and athleticism alone. Hageman still has much to learn but I have no doubt he could become a force on our line for years to come... And with the injury to Peters, it just makes too much sense.

NFL Comparison: Richard Seymour

Round 3

Pick #70

With the 70th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select OLB Telvin Smith, Florida State.

hi-res-454224897-linebacker-telvin-smith-of-the-florida-state-seminoles_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=433&q=85

Height: 6'2

Weight: 220

You can never have too many playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. Smith is probably the most underrated LB in the draft, but that's just my opinion. He's a tackling machine with a nose for the football, and he's also very good in coverage. Telvin Smith possesses excellent range with exceptional instinct. He can also lay the wood, and despite his lean frame he is extremely physical. He plays like he weighs 240, but maintains elite speed at his position. With Spoon being injured almost every other game in which he's active, Smith would have chances to show that he's a baller and I'm sure he won't disappoint. We've been looking for a LB who can cover these athletic TEs, and Smith would be the guy. Nolan would use him extremely well. Many have referred to him as a 'maniac' on the field. Probably could be converted into a safety.

NFL Comparison: ???

Pick #72(Previously acquired from Minnesota)

With the 72nd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select RB Andre Williams, Boston College.

111613bcfootballmh01.jpg?c=ddb4c2d905180c419560084820025112

Height: 6'0

Weight: 230

Wanna talk about strength? Well this guy has it... a lot of it actually. Andre Williams runs with anger and power on every play, and he's near impossible to stop once he gets going. Fear crosses the faces of defenders that stand in the way of him and the endzone. He is simply a load to bring down. Williams busting into the open is like a runaway freight train. Williams is a bruiser, and the punishment he delivers is similar to the kind Adrian Peterson delivers. No, I am not saying he will be anything like the future HOFer AP, but Williams possesses the ability to be extremely good. I am not a believer in Steven Jackson returning in 2014. The Falcons need to get young, and Jackson just isn't worth 4 million. We can get more production from this rookie for less money. It is just near impossible to succeed with a 31 year old RB. Hopefully the Falcons front office sees this. Williams has great value in the 3rd.

NFL Comparison: Adrian Peterson

Round 4

Pick #102

With the 102nd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select OG Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State.

gabe-jackson.jpg

Height: 6'3

Weight: 340lbs

I don't know i Jackson will be available here, but I am just going along with his current projection. If we can get Gabe Jackson here it would be an extreme value pick. He has great size, and power. He shows great nimbleness and balance in pass protection. Jackson can use his natural leverage to knock defenders off their spot and get to the second level for run plays. He has much to learn, and I would like to see him play with more explosiveness and aggressiveness but he is definitely an upgrade over ANYONE we can put at RG at this point. I believe Gabe can grow into a solid if not elite guard for Matt Ryan.

NFL Comparison: Mike Iupati

4th Round Compensatory Pick(???)

I am assuming we will get at least a 4th for Grimes as he is one of the best CBs in the league this year.

With the ??? pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select TE Arthur Lynch, Georgia.

Height: 6'5

Weight: 254

Yes I'm a UGA homer, but no this isn't a homer pick. Lynch is a legit talented TE with loads of ability. He is a really good blocker, and has soft hands with the ability to find holes in the defense. I believe he could be a good safety valve for Ryan, and between him and Toilolo they can pick up the production that Gonzo will leave. Good redzone threat too.

NFL Comparison: Owen Daniels

Round 5

WR Dri Archer, Kent State

Height: 5'8

Weight: 175lbs

Harry Douglas is a waste of space. Archer is probably the fastest player in this draft. He has 4.2 speed and Koetter could use him in a variety of ways. Archer would add explosiveness to our special teams. We've been lacking a player like this since Norwood.

NFL Comparison: Dexter McCluster

Round 6

QB Connor Shaw, South Carolina

Height: 6'1

Weight: 209lbs

Ryan has proven to be one of the most durable QBs in the league despite being hit too often. If he goes down, we need someone to be at least competent enough to play until he's back healthy. Neither Renfree nor Doege looked good, and Davis also looked bad during the preseason. He came in earlier this year for a couple of plays and got hurt, and I know his durability is nowhere near Ryans. Shaw can come in and duke it out for a backup spot. Nothing to lose here.

NFL Comparison: Jake Locker

Round 7

OT Cornelius Lucas, Kansas State.

Height: 6'8

Weight: 328lbs

Huge guy right here. His wingspan alone is probably three times longer than Baker's. Lucas is known to have a mean streak to add with his aggressive play, and he can absolutely stifle opposing rushers. Worth a look. Late round linemen gems have been found before.

NFL Comparison: King Dunlap

Juston Houston or Mack are not top 10 picks IMO. I like the trade back but a franchise Lt is more of a can't miss than a De and we simply cannot miss.

I like Hageman and I'm always surprised each yr by some of the talent that slips into the 2nd rd, so he could be there.

A great thing about your extra 3rd rd pick is getting telvon smith. B/c of need I have us picking McCullers in the 3rd. Smith compares to Carolina's Thomas Davis. He can cover TE, RB like Shady, and Sproles.

We don't need a RB. We do have huge needs at Dt, especially with peters injury.

There is no way on Gods green earth that Gabe is there in the 4 th. 1st rd, or no later than 2nd rd for him.

I don't like taking offensive weapons this draft, but lynch would be a good pick up.

I agree on Harry D. tired of watching mistakes in biggest moments.

Big mean OLinemen, sign me up

First off, this is a great draft. But no way Jackson slips to the fourth, just can't see it, that being said we might be able to land a solid starting quality guard in the third. I think Hageman has a little shot of being their when we pick in the second, But if he was there at the bottom of the first I might think about trading up. Like your other picks, a bit unrealistic in terms of jackson, but if we landed Mack and Hageman, I'd be a happy camper.

Hagemann isn't a fringe 1st rounder.

I like Mack. I think he is a great player.

Hagemann isn't dropping that far I don't believe.

Not big on Telvin Smith. He is too small and not strong enough at the point of attack.

Andre Williams has too many carries.

There is NO chance Gabe Jackson falls that far.

Love Connor Shaw and Dri Archer. With Archer I'm concerned Koetter isn't creative enough to use him.

NO way Hageman drops to the 2nd, Rosie O'donnell has a better chance of winning a swim suite contest than Hageman making it to the 2nd.

NO way Jackson makes it past the top of the 3rd

It's funny cause Shariff Floyd was suppose to be a top 5 pick, Kwann Short was suppose to be a first rounder and so was Tank Carridene, also Jesse Williams, you can't say it's impossible because it is, especially into the top 5 of the second round.

It's funny cause Shariff Floyd was suppose to be a top 5 pick, Kwann Short was suppose to be a first rounder and so was Tank Carridene, also Jesse Williams, you can't say it's impossible because it is, especially into the top 5 of the second round.

Floyd, Carridine, and Williams all had medical issues which Hageman doesn't have.

He's not even the best DT in the class tho, lots of arguments elsewhere, everyone acts like he's a top ten pick right now.

No the best DT is Aaron Donald, if Donald were 6'3 300lbs he would be a top 5 pick, possibly the first player off the board.

Whether Hageman is the best in class depends on who you listen to, at times he is unblockable and will be able to play multiple positions on the DL. He needs to work on consistency but after the combine he will go in the 1st.

Hagerman was the TOP 2 TE's in the country coming out of H.S. he is athletic, fast for his size and has a mean streak. He goes through OL's. He can play inside or outside on the DL. You know how many times those good BIG TEN OL's from Ohio St. Mich. Iowa tried to handle him with the lack of help he had at Minn. He has a story that rivals M. Other in Blindside. Adopted BIG KID, family fractured, fought for his life in State Child homes, adopted by a young couple who helped him become the man he is. Yes he is known as a teen as someone who will hit you back, that is understandable considering his childhood BUT the Falcons could use a little of the junkyard dog on both sides of their lines.

No the best DT is Aaron Donald, if Donald were 6'3 300lbs he would be a top 5 pick, possibly the first player off the board.

Whether Hageman is the best in class depends on who you listen to, at times he is unblockable and will be able to play multiple positions on the DL. He needs to work on consistency but after the combine he will go in the 1st.

it wouldn't shock me if Donald came in at the Combine at 6'3", 300...

Hagemann isn't a fringe 1st rounder.

I like Mack. I think he is a great player.

Hagemann isn't dropping that far I don't believe.

Not big on Telvin Smith. He is too small and not strong enough at the point of attack.

Andre Williams has too many carries.

There is NO chance Gabe Jackson falls that far.

Love Connor Shaw and Dri Archer. With Archer I'm concerned Koetter isn't creative enough to use him.

I've seen alot of draft sites that have given him a round 1-2 grade you never no what happens on draft day some teams fall in love with a position and create a domino effect a run on a certain position and hence players with Hageman's ability drop all the time.