Who Is A Real Fan? : Tankers, Non-Tankers, &everyone Inbetween

Sidecar Falcon

So this post may be a little long winded but, here we go. It is evident that there is a separation between two very distinctive groups of fans on these boards the "tankers" and the "non-tankers". Now let me first premise what I say as I am not in favor of purposely losing games, however given TD's track record of trading up in the draft, I would prefer we lose our way to a top five pick than gamble away more precious draft picks, to get to a top five pick. Winning increases the probability of us having to spend more to trade up for player that we really want.

Over the past couple of years we have had good records, which has always had us picking towards the end of each round. Now I am aware that there is always talent to be found in later rounds. However I personally am tired of picking our third to fifth choice on our draft board, at a position we need. Unlike some I look at the bright side of this season, we have a poor record, we have higher draft picks to get our true number one position players on the board, or have the ability to trade down, and collect draft picks. Either way this only benefits the team because we have an influx of young talented players, that are high on our draft board. Now because of the way I look at this opportunity, people will label me a "tanker", even though I don't believe I am, then proceed to call me, and people who are like minded "loser" or "not real fans",when in actuality we are fans.

Difference of opinion doesn't change the fact that I am a fan of this team, and I have my opinions on what would benefit this team in the long term. My issue here is really isn't with "non-tankers" per say, more of the people who condescend to the ones that they deem "tankers". Everyone here would agree that sometimes that cheering for another team to win is helpful. Especially if it helps us get into the playoffs. However, what if that team is in the NFC South.To some fans, no matter what the case, you never cheer for a division rival. To those "Hardcore" fans, you would be deemed as "not a real fan". Circumstances dictate how someone reacts.

I understand the "non-tanker" point of view that you should never just lay down and die, which is why I never cheer for my team to lose. However "tankers" don't view it that way. Personally I would love for us to play backups the rest of the year to get extra evaluation time in on them, to see if we have anymore sleepers that we don't know about. I believe that both sides have valid arguments, and both sides have it's pros and cons.In the end, no matter which side you may fall on or choose I believe that we all want the best players possible on the team, and we all want sustained success for this franchise. I know we are all tired of not being taken seriously by anyone,tired of being one of the laughing stocks in football, tired of being close to the brass ring but falling short, but most of all, tired of us not having a Lombardi. Just a few thoughts in my head.

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

So this post may be a little long winded but, here we go. It is evident that there is a separation between two very distinctive groups of fans on these boards the "tankers" and the "non-tankers". Now let me first premise what I say as I am not in favor of purposely losing games, however given TD's track record of trading up in the draft, I would prefer we lose our way to a top five pick than gamble away more precious draft picks, to get to a top five pick. Winning increases the probability of us having to spend more to trade up for player that we really want.

Over the past couple of years we have had good records, which has always had us picking towards the end of each round. Now I am aware that there is always talent to be found in later rounds. However I personally am tired of picking our third to fifth choice on our draft board, at a position we need. Unlike some I look at the bright side of this season, we have a poor record, we have higher draft picks to get our true number one position players on the board, or have the ability to trade down, and collect draft picks. Either way this only benefits the team because we have an influx of young talented players, that are high on our draft board. Now because of the way I look at this opportunity, people will label me a "tanker", even though I don't believe I am, then proceed to call me, and people who are like minded "loser" or "not real fans",when in actuality we are fans.

Difference of opinion doesn't change the fact that I am a fan of this team, and I have my opinions on what would benefit this team in the long term. My issue here is really isn't with "non-tankers" per say, more of the people who condescend to the ones that they deem "tankers". Everyone here would agree that sometimes that cheering for another team to win is helpful. Especially if it helps us get into the playoffs. However, what if that team is in the NFC South.To some fans, no matter what the case, you never cheer for a division rival. To those "Hardcore" fans, you would be deemed as "not a real fan". Circumstances dictate how someone reacts.

I understand the "non-tanker" point of view that you should never just lay down and die, which is why I never cheer for my team to lose. However "tankers" don't view it that way. Personally I would love for us to play backups all year to get extra evaluation time in on them, to see if we have anymore sleepers that we don't know about. I believe that both sides have valid arguments, and both sides have it's pros and cons.In the end, no matter which side you may fall on or choose I believe that we all want the best players possible on the team, and we all want sustained success for this franchise. I know we are all tired of not being taken seriously by anyone,tired of being one of the laughing stocks in football, tired of being close to the brass ring but falling short, but most of all, tired of us not having a Lombardi. Just a few thoughts in my head.

I'm personally somewhat along the same lines as you, it seems. I always want us to win, regardless of the situation. But at this point in the year, if we lose games, let's just be happy it puts us into a better position to fix holes in our team.

in the end tankers or non-tankers, i believe a real fan is someone who will cheer for their team no matter what, their are many people on here who want to tank for better draft picks but still cheer for this team, some tankers however cheer any time this team makes a possitive play, that to me is not a real fan. while i dont accept tanking for any reason, i understand why one wants to tank. i think that while it wont happen, the tankers just need to stop trying to convince the non tankers, to tank while the non tankers need to stop trying to convince the tankers its not ok to tank, i think this is the reason may arguments errupt alot worse than they should be. i am a culprit of this as are many others. true fans want their team to succed regardless, they may have different views at how it should be done however

in the end tankers or non-tankers, i believe a real fan is someone who will cheer for their team no matter what, their are many people on here who want to tank for better draft picks but still cheer for this team, some tankers however cheer any time this team makes a possitive play, that to me is not a real fan. while i dont accept tanking for any reason, i understand why one wants to tank. i think that while it wont happen, the tankers just need to stop trying to convince the non tankers, to tank while the non tankers need to stop trying to convince the tankers its not ok to tank, i think this is the reason may arguments errupt alot worse than they should be. i am a culprit of this as are many others. true fans want their team to succed regardless, they may have different views at how it should be done however

Well said. And I just want to make it clear, I really mean you no disrespect with our crazy debate in the other thread lol. Like you said, arguments have gotten pretty crazy around here with the whole tanking thing. At the end of the day, I think we're all just extremely frustrated with how this season has gone, and we just all have a different idea of how it can be fixed. But I'm sure we all know, all the Falcons fans here are true fans. Otherwise we wouldn't get so into these arguments lol.

I agree. I hate to admit it, but I think that a lot of the issues between the two comes from one player in college. I like Clowney, and I hope he falls to us. However using him as the sole reason to win or lose, then arguing about it when we do either, only adds fuel to the fire. I have a feeling that if he didn't exist, there would be a lot less fighting on the boards.

Well said. And I just want to make it clear, I really mean you no disrespect with our crazy debate in the other thread lol. Like you said, arguments have gotten pretty crazy around here with the whole tanking thing. At the end of the day, I think we're all just extremely frustrated with how this season has gone, and we just all have a different idea of how it can be fixed. But I'm sure we all know, all the Falcons fans here are true fans. Otherwise we wouldn't get so into these arguments lol.

LOL I agree. People have different ideologies on what it will take to get us a Lombardi. Personally, I like Mike Smith, I think he is a good coach. However I am losing faith that he is the right coach for this team. I have been critical of Nolan more so than any other coach, because I expect more out of him. However there are those who attack on both sides of the argument, without really thinking about the other side. Which allows trolls to run around and just stir up sh*t whenever they want. I like to have intelligent debates on players,coaching, etc. Not sift through 20 pages of "Matt Ryan sucks" , or "Fire Smith Now". If there were less of these posts, and more intelligent posts, I don't think there would be as much hostility as there is between certain posters.

and i too dont mean any disrespect, sorry if it may have seemed that way. arguments are what make boards work, if we all agreed it be a boring board.and like u said we all have our own ideas on how to fix this team.as long as we can disccuss them without being rude about it, theirs no shame in that

LOL I agree. People have different ideologies on what it will take to get us a Lombardi. Personally, I like Mike Smith, I think he is a good coach. However I am losing faith that he is the right coach for this team. I have been critical of Nolan more so than any other coach, because I expect more out of him. However there are those who attack on both sides of the argument, without really thinking about the other side. Which allows trolls to run around and just stir up sh*t whenever they want. I like to have intelligent debates on players,coaching, etc. Not sift through 20 pages of "Matt Ryan sucks" , or "Fire Smith Now". If there were less of these posts, and more intelligent posts, I don't think there would be as much hostility as there is between certain posters.

I agree with that, we could definitely use a lot less just outright bashing around here lol. I'm kind of with you on Smith. I like him a lot, but there just seems like there's something that's off. I'm really on the fence right now. With Nolan I'm willing to give him a pass until we can get players who can really rush the passer on defense. It's hard defending the pass when you have a d-line as inconsistent as ours. But it'll be an interesting offseason for sure.

and i too dont mean any disrespect, sorry if it may have seemed that way. arguments are what make boards work, if we all agreed it be a boring board.and like u said we all have our own ideas on how to fix this team.as long as we can disccuss them without being rude about it, theirs no shame in that

No worries, no disrespect felt lol. It's honestly been one of the better debates I've had on the boards. But hopefully next year we can all just spend the year celebrating every week XD

I agree with that, we could definitely use a lot less just outright bashing around here lol. I'm kind of with you on Smith. I like him a lot, but there just seems like there's something that's off. I'm really on the fence right now. With Nolan I'm willing to give him a pass until we can get players who can really rush the passer on defense. It's hard defending the pass when you have a d-line as inconsistent as ours. But it'll be an interesting offseason for sure.

When I look at this team, I can't help but think of a toddler trying to squeeze a square peg through a circular hole. To me, I truly believe that Smith is falling victim to what other people want his team to be, rather than what scheme best suits his player. For instance, Matt Ryan. He is an accurate, smart QB, with excellent short to mid range accuracy, he doesn't have the strongest arm however. Now he isn't mobile, but I would think that given his strengths, we should be utilizing more of a west coast type of scheme, not a spread offense. Let Ryan do what he does best and read defenses, and be the general of the team. To me I would like us to run the kind of uptempo no huddle offense they do in Denver. I am a big fan of Adam Gase and what he has done to that offense. As for Nolan, my biggest problem with him is his niche for backing off the defense after the half. I watched him do the same exact thing in Miami for years, and it was mind blowing. He did turn the Dolphins around in a very short time. He also scouted a little known CFL player by the name of Cam Wake, and got him on the team. He has an eye for talent.

When I look at this team, I can't help but think of a toddler trying to squeeze a square peg through a circular hole. To me, I truly believe that Smith is falling victim to what other people want his team to be, rather than what scheme best suits his player. For instance, Matt Ryan. He is an accurate, smart QB, with excellent short to mid range accuracy, he doesn't have the strongest arm however. Now he isn't mobile, but I would think that given his strengths, we should be utilizing more of a west coast type of scheme, not a spread offense. Let Ryan do what he does best and read defenses, and be the general of the team. To me I would like us to run the kind of uptempo no huddle offense they do in Denver. I am a big fan of Adam Gase and what he has done to that offense. As for Nolan, my biggest problem with him is his niche for backing off the defense after the half. I watched him do the same exact thing in Miami for years, and it was mind blowing. He did turn the Dolphins around in a very short time. He also scouted a little known CFL player by the name of Cam Wake, and got him on the team. He has an eye for talent.

Matt Ryan would absolutely thrive in Denver's system, I agree with that. Ryan and Peyton honestly are really similar players, and that gets overlooked quite a bit. And I can definitely see your point there with the defense backing off at halftime. I think we have that problem on both sides of the ball a bit, though. And Nolan really does have a great eye for talent, there's no arguing with that.

Matt Ryan would absolutely thrive in Denver's system, I agree with that. Ryan and Peyton honestly are really similar players, and that gets overlooked quite a bit. And I can definitely see your point there with the defense backing off at halftime. I think we have that problem on both sides of the ball a bit, though. And Nolan really does have a great eye for talent, there's no arguing with that.

If Smith and the Falcons ever part ways. I hope Gase is on Blank's speed dial.

I understand the "non-tanker" point of view that you should never just lay down and die, which is why I never cheer for my team to lose. However "tankers" don't view it that way. Personally I would love for us to play backups the rest of the year to get extra evaluation time in on them, to see if we have anymore sleepers that we don't know about. I believe that both sides have valid arguments, and both sides have it's pros and cons.In the end, no matter which side you may fall on or choose I believe that we all want the best players possible on the team, and we all want sustained success for this franchise. I know we are all tired of not being taken seriously by anyone,tired of being one of the laughing stocks in football, tired of being close to the brass ring but falling short, but most of all, tired of us not having a Lombardi. Just a few thoughts in my head.

First off the "tankers" don't want the team to "purposely" lose. That is a complete strawman. We want the team to lose, but INCIDENTALLY, not by purposely laying day. Specifically, I would want the coaches to sit their stars down like Washington did with RG3. Sure those players will probably be pissed, but they won't be risking their health for meaningless, playoff wise, games. Let the depth fight for their jobs to further evaluate and give them valuable experience.

By doing so the team can still play hard and yet still lose. If somehow if they start winning, you now have young talent that can give the fans hope for next season, and you will have a much easier job of knowing who to cut and keep.

Edited by Objective Critic

Fans come in all shapes and sizes. It's no different than any other relationship. You see couples who are close, who share everything, are always upbeat and optimistic and stay together forever. You see couples who fight and brawl and break up to make up - and stay together forever.

Everyone deals with their loyalties differently. Being a fan is no different.

Call me what you want, followed this team since early 70's all the time & I live in NYC, was at the 1st official regular season game when the Dome opened, saw us in Miami in the Super Bowl, saw Mike Vicks 1st dome game & touchdown in preseason @ the Dome, traveled twice this year to watch us lose in Miami & GB, yes, i'll bash them all the way to the Lombardi trophy!, its our right, thats why we have these boards...DON'T Settle on anything less!

Edited by Club212

Although I am a tanker, I am beginning to see the non-tanker reason for going 100%. I think if we can play good this last game then we walk away having accomplished a few things and some things figured out but necessarily fixed, but most of all a sense of some team pride.

Edited by Nono

Last night's loss helped our chances of getting a better draft choice

without giving up the ranch to get him. We also showed that we are

a capable and competitive team. They win on a fluke pick 6.

We need to do a better job on outlet passes next year. We are getting

people killed.

First off the "tankers" don't want the team to "purposely" lose. That is a complete strawman. We want the team to lose, but INCIDENTALLY, not by purposely laying day. Specifically, I would want the coaches to sit their stars down like Washington did with RG3. Sure those players will probably be pissed, but they won't be risking their health for meaningless, playoff wise, games. Let the depth fight for their jobs to further evaluate and give them valuable experience.

By doing so the team can still play hard and yet still lose. If somehow if they start winning, you now have young talent that can give the fans hope for next season, and you will have a much easier job of knowing who to cut and keep.

I don't believe that "tankers" want their team to purposely lose. I do believe that a lot of non-tankers think that though. I agree with you about letting the back ups play. I want to see what other hidden talent we have on this team. If we win a game, even better. I like knowing more about players, this does give us a great opportunity to learn more about them.

Who cares it is only one game left in the season.

A lot of people care if we win or lose regardless if it is the last game or not. If we win that will put us at a higher pick, if we lose the highest we go is six, in that respect it is a some what meaningful game. I liked what I saw last night from our oline. I hope Gunn and Schraeder perform well again.

Tanking indicates IMHO...not wanting to see any improvement during a bad season. Unless you have the ability, which most teams don't, to clean house and buy/draft sure-fire replacements...tanking is still a crap shoot and sets a bad mentality. Clowney could come available and the Falcons still pass him up. I'm all for the here and now...deal with the draft in the offseason.

Agree with all of your post, but especially the bold.

We as people always try to jockey for superiority by claiming our values are better than another groups values.

You see this with religion, you see this with politics, you see this with race.

And now you see this with tankers vs non tankers.

In each case there is a fraction of truth to each groups values. No group is superior to another group but this won't stop the jockeying for power.