So This Is How An Nfl Receiver Catches A Football

Snafu

Am I the only one that saw the all-22 replay angle? Seriously by the comments I've seen on here I must have been the only one that saw that angle which clearly showed that HD had both hands on the ball, before Brock hit him, and that he had control of it for several seconds before losing control of it.

I guess it depends how you define several seconds. My definition is 5 seconds.Maybe yours is different

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now we're getting into semantics about what the definition of several seconds is? How about this he had it more than a couple seconds, which is 2.

Do you think that was a routine catch? With the great play the defender made it was anything but a routine catch. Give the defender some credit here. I wish some one could throw a bullet pass to you and then I run up behind trying to break the pass up. I guarantee you'll have trouble making the catch. And before you say youre not an NFL wr i'm not an nfl cb either :)

I would like to suggest something that I think I've only seen mentioned a couple of times; sometimes a team can just be unlucky. I don't think anyone used the word unlucky (then again, I didn't read the whole thread), but on every play, the DC has to try to anticipate the play call that the offense will use, sometimes they get it wrong, and sometimes they get it perfectly right. In the case of this play, the niners had the perfect defense called to stop that particular play; I feel like being in that situation is luck. I don't think the physical play of the players is luck, as they still have to make the play, but if the DC had made a different defensive call, they wouldn't have been able to be in position to make a play.

Having said that, I think Ryan has to be able to recognise that #35 is going to come unblocked, and once he sees that he has to decide whether he has enough time to make the throw he wanted to make, or he can audible out of the play or call a time out. Really, he should have called the time out or taken the sack.. There's too much at stake to throw that ball that he had to have seen was going to be contested. If he takes the time out or sack, they live to fight another down, and probably score; they had a ton of momentum on their side!

Do you think that was a routine catch? With the great play the defender made it was anything but a routine catch. Give the defender some credit here. I wish some one could throw a bullet pass to you and then I run up behind trying to break the pass up. I guarantee you'll have trouble making the catch. And before you say youre not an NFL wr i'm not an nfl cb either :)

That's my point. A bullet pass that was probably a little off because Matt was hit on release, while the CB broke on the route at the same time. It's much more going on than meets the eye. That was a great defensive play. I give all credit to San Fran on that. More that faulting Matt and HD. Let's break it down. Niners send a jailhouse, Matt gets hit while releasing a hot throw, Brock breaks on ball before or at the moment of release, gets there at the right time to disrupt the pass and break it up, bowman picks it off. Great defensive play.

I would like to suggest something that I think I've only seen mentioned a couple of times; sometimes a team can just be unlucky. I don't think anyone used the word unlucky (then again, I didn't read the whole thread), but on every play, the DC has to try to anticipate the play call that the offense will use, sometimes they get it wrong, and sometimes they get it perfectly right. In the case of this play, the niners had the perfect defense called to stop that particular play; I feel like being in that situation is luck. I don't think the physical play of the players is luck, as they still have to make the play, but if the DC had made a different defensive call, they wouldn't have been able to be in position to make a play.

Having said that, I think Ryan has to be able to recognise that #35 is going to come unblocked, and once he sees that he has to decide whether he has enough time to make the throw he wanted to make, or he can audible out of the play or call a time out. Really, he should have called the time out or taken the sack.. There's too much at stake to throw that ball that he had to have seen was going to be contested. If he takes the time out or sack, they live to fight another down, and probably score; they had a ton of momentum on their side!

Ugh I hate when other fans come on the board and make sense.

Do you think that was a routine catch? With the great play the defender made it was anything but a routine catch. Give the defender some credit here. I wish some one could throw a bullet pass to you and then I run up behind trying to break the pass up. I guarantee you'll have trouble making the catch. And before you say youre not an NFL wr i'm not an nfl cb either smile.png

Where did I say it was a routine catch? Where did I not give the defender credit for making a great play? I have acknowledged that it was indeed a great play by Brock.

But that play is an example of why HD is who he is and that's an average NFL receiver. Tony G, Roddy White and Julio would used their bodies in a why to allow them to absorb the hit from Brock so that at the very least it's an incomplete pass. Those three are much bigger than HD and that's something HD has no control over so I can't blame that on him.

But another thing you guys are missing is that it's not the first time HD has failed to make a play in a clutch situation. There was the 49ers game last year when he tripped over his own two feet with nothing but green grass in front of him. We get that TD and we make the Super Bowl. There was the Packers game this year where he dropped a perfectly thrown pass that would have given the Falcons a chance at the game-winning FG. He should have never been the hot read receiver on that play because he just can't be counted on in those situations.

SHUT THE **** UP! People actually agree with the 2nd paragraph of this post? Aaron Rodgers throws these quick slants for breakfast lunch and dinner along with any QB worth a **** in the NFL. This isn't college football, you don't get WR's wide open on every pass play, **** half the time these QB's have to throw their receivers open. Harry Douglas in terms of NFL standards is wide ******* open on this play! To say the QB should have taken a sack or called a time out instead of throwing a ball to an open WR because there is so called "too much at stake" to make a normally contested throw is some of the more ridiculous logic I've seen on here.

Stick to analyzing your own crap QB Kaeperdick who has been exposed for being nothing as nothing but a mediocre at best the entire season.

SHUT THE **** UP! People actually agree with the 2nd paragraph of this post? Aaron Rodgers throws these quick slants for breakfast lunch and dinner along with any QB worth a **** in the NFL. This isn't college football, you don't get WR's wide open on every pass play, **** half the time these QB's have to throw their receivers open. Harry Douglas in terms of NFL standards is wide ******* open on this play! To say the QB should have taken a sack or called a time out instead of throwing a ball to an open WR because there is so called "too much at stake" to make a normally contested throw is some of the more ridiculous logic I've seen on here.

Stick to analyzing your own crap QB Kaeperdick who has been exposed for being nothing as nothing but a mediocre at best the entire season.

pop a xanax and chill the **** out. It isn't that serious. And Kap and San Fran are going to the playoffs. We will be watching. Kinda stupid to talk trash about a QB that will be doing something our QB wont be...playing in the playoffs

Where did I say it was a routine catch? Where did I not give the defender credit for making a great play? I have acknowledged that it was indeed a great play by Brock.

But that play is an example of why HD is who he is and that's an average NFL receiver. Tony G, Roddy White and Julio would used their bodies in a why to allow them to absorb the hit from Brock so that at the very least it's an incomplete pass. Those three are much bigger than HD and that's something HD has no control over so I can't blame that on him.

But another thing you guys are missing is that it's not the first time HD has failed to make a play in a clutch situation. There was the 49ers game last year when he tripped over his own two feet with nothing but green grass in front of him. We get that TD and we make the Super Bowl. There was the Packers game this year where he dropped a perfectly thrown pass that would have given the Falcons a chance at the game-winning FG. He should have never been the hot read receiver on that play because he just can't be counted on in those situations.

So if you're calling a play in that situation knowing HD's history in "clutch situations" would you go to him or force a pass to someone else?

D@mn....someone needs a nap. Lol

So if you're calling a play in that situation knowing HD's history in "clutch situations" would you go to him or force a pass to someone else?

I call a play that goes to Tony G or Roddy. If not either of them then I fake it to Tony G or Roddy and throw it to Drew Davis. I think Davis has earned some respect in that situation. Definitely don't trust HD with the game on the line.

Unlucky is the way the ball floated over HDs head in his hands.

But at this point in the season, and since we had thrown a few wr screens I believe the niners were going all out and expecting a possible screen.

Timeout would have stopped everything but I also believe a fade to the end zone would have been a TD, but give credit to the niners d, they had a strong idea of what to expect and it turned into a big play for them.

Unlucky is the way the ball floated over HDs head in his hands.

But at this point in the season, and since we had thrown a few wr screens I believe the niners were going all out and expecting a possible screen.

Timeout would have stopped everything but I also believe a fade to the end zone would have been a TD, but give credit to the niners d, they had a strong idea of what to expect and it turned into a big play for them.

It wasn't a screen. It was a quick slant.

He never had control of the ball tho.

Ive seen the mo replay. I've hear from dozens of analysts and they all say HD SHOULD of caught that. He just got straight bullied bu the defender and didnt fight for the ball. The other 3 would of done. Heck Darius Johnson could of done. HD just drives me insane.