The Only Thing I Dislike About Mike Smith

FuhRealDoh

"We take what the defense gives us."

I hear it over and over. From players and coaches alike.

To me, this is the main problem with Smitty. Being defensive minded, he lets the defense of the OTHER TEAM dictate what OUR OFFENSE does… Huh?!?

Our defense sure as heck doesn't appear to be dictating anything to anyone.

OK. Clearly his philosophy has worked to a point. Look at the man's record since he's been here. Hard to argue with what he's accomplished..

However, here's my problem with it:

IF a defense gives you something, you're good. You have a plan. What happens when the other team's defense DOESN'T give you something? Say an elite defense has all your playmakers locked down, AND is consistently getting pressure on #2. What's the plan now? In my opinion, this is the problem. When you play the teams that have these excellent defenses, your mindset has to change.

You HAVE to be able to dictate what happens when your offense is on the field. You have to TAKE it. No one is going to GIVE you a championship.

I think Take What The Defense Gives You just needs to be altered. Because to an extent, it's true. If the D comes out there in cover 3, you probably aren't going to be throwing deep, but we need to start going for the jugular. If they come out in press man, you can probably run some slants, and take what they give you, or you can put Julio on a streak and really go for the throat.

I think Take What The Defense Gives You just needs to be altered. Because to an extent, it's true. If the D comes out there in cover 3, you probably aren't going to be throwing deep, but we need to start going for the jugular. If they come out in press man, you can probably run some slants, and take what they give you, or you can put Julio on a streak and really go for the throat.

I hear what your saying. But I can recall several times where MR has thrown a ball into double or triple coverage this season.. And no, I'm not knocking MR.

The thing i and most ATL fans hate about smitty!

the art of Smitty Ball!

Ah yes, Smitty Ball. I've heard it put that way before. Like trying not to lose instead of trying to win. Limiting mistakes/penalties vs. going for the throat. Bend but don't break

Do y'all really think Smitty can change his mindset? He talks all the time about everyone looking in the mirror, starting with himself.. Though it does make me wonder whether we are just delaying the inevitable. I for one, don't know that I would be able to change my attitude towards my profession. Especially if it had gotten me as far as "Smittyball" has gotten Coach Smith.

It's the right idea, but not if taken to the extreme. Of course the D is going to give you a 6 yard check down on 3rd and 12. They are going to give you pretty much anything that is underneath and in front of them. That's where the disconnect is for me. I see our offense literally running the plays the defense wants them to run in certain situations. They want a 7 yard pass to Tony on 3rd and 10. They want a swing pass to Rodgers on 2nd and 15.

I want Smitty to at least look like he knows what he's doing by holding and looking at the playcard and conferring instead of of looking like a grammar school snitch taking names everytime somebody screws up. Hand the sharpie and paper to a flunkee Smitty and do something important or at the very least fake it!

Yeah Smith is so smart that when he says, "We take what the defense gives us" I am sure all other NFL teams take that comment and not think "hmmmm, if he is taking what we give them, than shouldn't we just act like we are giving them one thing and do something else?" Defenses show blitz, back out, defenses act to play man to man but play zone. Defense will act like they are playing the pass but are loaded up for the run. Thanks Mike Smith, I am glad your philosophy is helping other teams out in the process.

I hear what your saying. But I can recall several times where MR has thrown a ball into double or triple coverage this season.. And no, I'm not knocking MR.

Oh no absolutely I getcha man. I think it's because the line is so bad he's mentally deciding where to throw before the ball is ever snapped, to a degree. Doesn't work all the time but, I get why he does it.