Is It Cruel Fate Or Preferential Scheduling That Put The Falcons In Candlestick Tonight

AREA 51

Either fate or preference has handed the 49ers all they could have asked for in an opponent for the last regular season game at Candlestick Park. Even if the Falcons were at the top of their game, there are intangible forces that would still make the Falcons a good opponent for this game, almost like scheduling that easy homecoming game. The 49ers, with a few exceptions, have owned the Falcons, but there is more at work here.

Though I hope for a win, I cannot fathom such an outcome. Not being one to put too much on stats, I do take into account patterns and probabilities. The Falcons, despite changes in owners, coaches, and players, through the years, have never been able to break the pattern, or curse, if you will. I find it interesting that the Falcons would be scheduled for such a game instead of another rival of the 49ers.

Atlanta Falcons Monday night record is 11-25. By far the worst of any team with that many appearances. Only Arizona is worse percentage wise, but they have played ten fewer MNF games. Even more so, some of the most lopsided embarrassments have happened on the MNF. Scores like 41-17, 45-17, 36-0, 24-7, 23-3, 41-3, 34-10 and those are only a partial. The last two scores are losses to San Francisco. I mean it has been brutal. Smith and co. have faired a tad better, but still have a 45-16 loss to the Saints on their resume.

To say the Falcons do not perform well on Monday night is a huge understatement, and in fact, it is so bad, I hate to even see them scheduled on Monday nights anymore. I would like the Falcons' chances at a victory better if this game had been played yesterday. Though games played years ago, even last year, may not mean anything in reality, how else can one explain such consistently horrid performances by the Falcons on MNF?

Edited by AREA51

It is what it is. The Falcons and 49ers most thought would be must see TV this year. Well, that didn't happen. The Falcons and 49ers go way back in terms of the old NFC West days. I could care less about how we have fared in these types of games in the past. Its in the past and has nothing to do with today.

The Falcons seem to get quite a few of these type games........NO and Katrina bowl ......NO and the return of Peyton and Theres a few more that I can't think of through this fog that I'm posting in

sam

Seriously - I'm tired of being the villain for other teams' emotional games. The schedule makers really seem to enjoy screwing us.

Well I believe the schedulers were setting up an exciting game based on last year's NFC Championship game, "The Rematch". They had no way of knowing the Falcons will fail so miserably this year. It's going to be cruel punishment for us Falcon fans tonight.

Yup. I bet money on this game in the offseason too. >_< Wish we had played them in September when we were healthy and they were struggling to score more than 10 points a game. we probably still would have lost but at least it would have been a game lol

The Falcons seem to get quite a few of these type games........NO and Katrina bowl ......NO and the return of Peyton and Theres a few more that I can't think of through this fog that I'm posting in

sam

Seriously - I'm tired of being the villain for other teams' emotional games. The schedule makers really seem to enjoy screwing us.

I had not considered that angle as a reason of late. We could also mention Brees chase for the season passing yards record that irritated most of us and came in that 45-16 drubbing.

Since 2000, the Falcons are 6-4 against the 49ers. The 49ers win in the NFCCG was the first win in 12 years....Atlanta had won 4 straight.

We were expected to be Super Bowl contenders. So were they. This was an effort to get two good teams in a prime time matchup that would likely have playoff implications. It didn't work out that way. So it goes.

I'm not really sure what would be a more ideal situation to playing SF on the road. Is the game easier in early October when the 49ers started 3-2? Would it be easier in November when they were 6-4 and trailing a good Seattle team?

Difficult games are always difficult. There's no conspiracy. There's no preferential scheduling. It's a rematch of the NFCCG. They were looking for ratings.

Since 2000, the Falcons are 6-4 against the 49ers. The 49ers win in the NFCCG was the first win in 12 years....Atlanta had won 4 straight.

We were expected to be Super Bowl contenders. So were they. This was an effort to get two good teams in a prime time matchup that would likely have playoff implications. It didn't work out that way. So it goes.

I'm not really sure what would be a more ideal situation to playing SF on the road. Is the game easier in early October when the 49ers started 3-2? Would it be easier in November when they were 6-4 and trailing a good Seattle team?

Difficult games are always difficult. There's no conspiracy. There's no preferential scheduling. It's a rematch of the NFCCG. They were looking for ratings.

Voice of reason....

Well I believe the schedulers were setting up an exciting game based on last year's NFC Championship game, "The Rematch". They had no way of knowing the Falcons will fail so miserably this year. It's going to be cruel punishment for us Falcon fans tonight.

^^^ This

Going into the season, this was a matchup of epic proportions. Unfortunately, our team fell off the map. Regardless of our record, and probable outcome in this game, I am honored that the Falcons get to be the final regular season opponent at Candlestick. Look at the rest of the NFC West - none of those teams are long time rivals of the 49ers that have had as much of a history as Atlanta. It's a fitting game.

^^^ This

Going into the season, this was a matchup of epic proportions. Unfortunately, our team fell off the map. Regardless of our record, and probable outcome in this game, I am honored that the Falcons get to be the final regular season opponent at Candlestick. Look at the rest of the NFC West - none of those teams are long time rivals of the 49ers that have had as much of a history as Atlanta. It's a fitting game.

This is true. It is mainly the Falcons notorious Monday night fiascos dating back to forever that had me wondering about the scheduling. It was, however, interesting to see the Falcons listed as a historic rival of the 49ers on wikipedia considering the one sided nature of the rivalry. Despite the source, there is indeed lots of history between the two. I still have hate for the 49ers that rivals the Saints. The Saints never beat us like Montana, Young, and Co. did, but the Falcons did have some shining moments, and beating Steve Young and the 49ers in the '98 playoffs was sweet.

From Wikipedia:

The Atlanta Falcons were also division rivals with the 49ers until the Falcons moved to the NFC South in 2002 after the realignment. Just like the Saints, the 49ers had dominated the Falcons when they played in the NFC West, but the Falcons have won four straight against the 49ers since moving to the NFC South. Both teams met in the divisional round of the 1998 playoffs a game best remembered by Garrison Hearst suffering a gruesome ankle break when his foot was caught in the Georgia Dome turf and twisted severely as he tried to spin away from Falcons' defensive end Chuck Smith on the first play from scrimmage, 49ers lost that game 20–18. They met in the 2012 NFC Championship, in which the 49ers, led by quarterback Colin Kaepernick, defeated the top-seeded Falcons in Atlanta by a score of 28–24. The all-time series is lead by the 49ers with a record of 45–30–1, and includes a postseason record of 1–1.

The Falcons have regularly abused on Primetime games throughout franchise history just chalk this one up as another embarrassing loss . One football team is built on defense and ground game another is built on finese and passing game . Good old fashion football tonight and bring back memories of OLD NFC west *** kicking at hands of 49ers

49ers -49

Falcons-10

Either fate or preference has handed the 49ers all they could have asked for in an opponent for the last regular season game at Candlestick Park. Even if the Falcons were at the top of their game, there are intangible forces that would still make the Falcons a good opponent for this game, almost like scheduling that easy homecoming game. The 49ers, with a few exceptions, have owned the Falcons, but there is more at work here.

Though I hope for a win, I cannot fathom such an outcome. Not being one to put too much on stats, I do take into account patterns and probabilities. The Falcons, despite changes in owners, coaches, and players, through the years, have never been able to break the pattern, or curse, if you will. I find it interesting that the Falcons would be scheduled for such a game instead of another rival of the 49ers.

Atlanta Falcons Monday night record is 11-25. By far the worst of any team with that many appearances. Only Arizona is worse percentage wise, but they have played ten fewer MNF games. Even more so, some of the most lopsided embarrassments have happened on the MNF. Scores like 41-17, 45-17, 36-0, 24-7, 23-3, 41-3, 34-10 and those are only a partial. The last two scores are losses to San Francisco. I mean it has been brutal. Smith and co. have faired a tad better, but still have a 45-16 loss to the Saints on their resume.

To say the Falcons do not perform well on Monday night is a huge understatement, and in fact, it is so bad, I hate to even see them scheduled on Monday nights anymore. I would like the Falcons' chances at a victory better if this game had been played yesterday. Though games played years ago, even last year, may not mean anything in reality, how else can one explain such consistently horrid performances by the Falcons on MNF?

I think it's a little of both. First off, going into the season, this should have been anticipated as the top 2, or 2 of the top 3 teams in the NFC facing off on the final MNF. Looked like a good matchup. I think that was the biggest factor. Second, the Falcons have a history with San Fran from the NFC West, so it's fitting that the final game be an old NFC West opponent, and again, looking at the crystal ball when the matchups were made, we should have been the best team from the old NFC West.

That said, Falcons have almost always played poorly on MNF. We do tend to get more of these "world against Atlanta" type games as well. So, those also probably played a factor.

Going in, it looked like a good matchup on paper, but w/ Falcons tendency to fold in those type games, SF should win their final game at Candlestick. That was probably the thought process that went into making this matchup.

However, 2 final things to kinda give hope for the Falcons tonight. First, the Falcons are 4-0 in their last 4 regular season matchups against the 9ers (2 wins at home, 2 in SF), and that includes a 45-10 blowout win at Candlestick in 2009. Second, our last MNF game vs. the 9ers was the final MNF game of the 1999 season and we won that game 34-29.

Please. We screw ourselves. Is getting scheduled on MNF against good teams with emotional baggage any excuse to make a mockery of yourself? No, that's your time to shine and show why you should be considered a legitimate contender. Who cares about being the "villain?" Just win the game.

The Falcons franchise from the outset has been little more than an inept, self-conscious, quivering lump of emotional jelly. Even in those few occasions when the Falcons record indicated they were ready for Prime Time, deep in their insecure, wimpy little hearts, they didn't believe it. They have never been able to shake their their expansion-franchise mentality. Even during Smith's impressive run of regular-season wins, when the team has performed in big games on national television, they've usually been an embarrassment to the town, the fans and themselves.

The NFL schedulers assumed this game would be a colossal match-up between two great teams with play-off ~ maybe Super Bowl ~ implications, instead the nation's pro football fans are going to have to endure yet another atrocious beat-down of a team that despite some good seasons of late, has yet to escape its horrendously miserable history of abject failure, especially when the spotlight is shining its hottest.