It Has To Be Ot...

maxatlanta

Anyone who has watched our OL this season should know that we need to upgrade every position other than LG. Sure, there is room to debate whether Hawley can take care of business at C.

But at OT, there can be no debate. Holmes has been among the worst starters in the league, and Baker has played poorly during the stints he wasn't too injured to suit up. So clearly, we need to add at least 1 starting caliber OT. Which brings me to my point:

While we have other glaring holes, none are as tough to fill than getting a good OT. A high 1st round pick is our best shot.

Trading down in the first and still getting the OT we want would be fantastic. But at the end of the day, this is a position that we aren't likely to fill adequately in Free Agency, nor in the later rounds of the draft. So you bite the bullet in the first, or suffer another year of having to call screens and quick dropbacks, while being unable to take advantage of our receivers due to lack of pass protection(not to mention our running game being in the crapper).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know what's even harder than finding a good OTackle? Finding a true game changer for a D.

Be really surprised if they draft Matthews or any other OTackle early. Think it'll be Clowney or Mack or some other Dline player

We fans may not like Baker, Holmes & Schreader, but the Falcons do.

Think they go DLine 1st pick, RG w/ 2nd pick.

Nobody including our FO can possibly "like" this line in its current configuration...they may like those guys and shuffle them around with a key addition but I agree with OP that the guy we need isnt coming to us in free agency or later rounds we need him early in the draft...my expectation is that they draft an OT and shift around the rest of the guys to positions they can handle (baker to RT, Holmes to RG) and go at it like that...i dont want clowney at all, he reeks of Albert Hainsworth to me...the kind of guy that comes in out of shape, plays hard when he wants etc.

I just have a feeling, because of the absolutely stupid contract we gave out, they will ride with Baker at LT

Me too. That still means you need somebody to start on the other side. Baker's chronic injuries are undeniable, so even if they wanna pencil him in they have to know better than to think he can be counted on to stay healthy.

Know what's even harder than finding a good OTackle? Finding a true game changer for a D.

Be really surprised if they draft Matthews or any other OTackle early. Think it'll be Clowney or Mack or some other Dline player

We fans may not like Baker, Holmes & Schreader, but the Falcons do.

Think they go DLine 1st pick, RG w/ 2nd pick.

I hope they go RG with the second pick. If they had a guarantee that one of the guys available at our spot was a game changer, then of course they'd have to take him. But they don't, so outside of Clowney I don't see them rolling the dice.

I hope we can find a partner to trade back with. There should be 3 or 4 OTs taken in the first. We might be able to pick up more early round picks and still address OT, OG, and a spot on the DL in the first two rounds.

I also think we address a couple of spots on the o-line in FA. I think you can go ahead and write in Baker and Blalock. Probably add two FA starters and let the rest of the guys fight out for the last job

concur

for 2014 just really would like to see one of those FAs be a proven Center -Keep Hawley as back up and Konz as a utility Guard.---Saddly Baker isn't going anywhere in 2014

Baker (Schraeder orHolmes)

Blalock Konz

FA#1 Hawley

FA#2 Konz

Draft pick #2 (Johnson or Reynolds)

use Draft pick 1,3,4 on DL or LB also would like to see 1 FA at DT

then finish in 2015

main thing is for this staff to find consultants for selecting O-line and D-line personnel--they have not done well on their own

We need a proven OT. Not a young prospect that may or may not pan out. We got enough of them already on the online. Draft Clowney if he is there. Pick up a stud RG in the second. Almost guaranteed one will be there. Too many out there. We need to also get stouter at DT and faster at OLB.

Problem is you cant get a proven OT.

We are married to baker thanks to TD being an absolute moron handing him that contract. We can't afford two good LT's...talent, sadly, is totally irrelevant. Its a cap issue above all else, and that's before you factor in TD's ego...he'd let Vlad the Impaler skewer Ryan before admitting a mistake.

Right, that's why he cut Ray Edwards mid season.

Anyone who has watched our OL this season should know that we need to upgrade every position other than LG. Sure, there is room to debate whether Hawley can take care of business at C.

But at OT, there can be no debate. Holmes has been among the worst starters in the league, and Baker has played poorly during the stints he wasn't too injured to suit up. So clearly, we need to add at least 1 starting caliber OT. Which brings me to my point:

While we have other glaring holes, none are as tough to fill than getting a good OT. A high 1st round pick is our best shot.

Trading down in the first and still getting the OT we want would be fantastic. But at the end of the day, this is a position that we aren't likely to fill adequately in Free Agency, nor in the later rounds of the draft. So you bite the bullet in the first, or suffer another year of having to call screens and quick dropbacks, while being unable to take advantage of our receivers due to lack of pass protection(not to mention our running game being in the crapper).

Oh no it does NOT have to be an OL.....we need a DL and clowney will be a perennial pro bowler and too hard to pass on. OL can be addressed in FA

We need a proven OT. Not a young prospect that may or may not pan out. We got enough of them already on the online. Draft Clowney if he is there. Pick up a stud RG in the second. Almost guaranteed one will be there. Too many out there. We need to also get stouter at DT and faster at OLB.

Who is this proven LT who you have in mind that another team is going to let go?

Baker, Blalock and Hawley will start. They will get FA RG and draft a right tackle. Holmes will back up LT, Scraeder at RT and Konz will backup RG. I just don't see the brain trust going too hard core at wholesale change. Its not their MO. Dline may add a FA tackle to cover for anyone leaving. We will draft a OLB and probably a FS early. Most likely OT in the first, OLB in the second and a FS in the third. Not ideal, but most likely scenario unless TD pulls off a trade on day one of the draft, most likely mortgaging day two.

Baker is going to be here and when healthy he isn't the worst LT (better than Holmes currently). Alex Mack has to be a target. Roger Saffold would also be a good pick up. If we got them both in Free Agency (pipe dream). We could draft a good RG in the second and use our first on that defensive game changer.

Oline:

RT- Saffold

RG- Cyril Richardson

C- Alex Mack

LG- Blalock

LT- Baker

Dline:

LE- Clowney

DT- Peters

DT- Aaron Donald

RE- Osi

Baker is going to be here and when healthy he isn't the worst LT (better than Holmes currently). Alex Mack has to be a target. Roger Saffold would also be a good pick up. If we got them both in Free Agency (pipe dream). We could draft a good RG in the second and use our first on that defensive game changer.

Oline:

RT- Saffold

RG- Cyril Richardson

C- Alex Mack

LG- Blalock

LT- Baker

Dline:

LE- Clowney

DT- Peters

DT- Aaron Donald

RE- Osi

That would be filthy. Absolutely filthy.