Cross Anthony Barr Off Falcons Draft List - Reason Inside

g-dawg

I was watching on ESPN Insider where an ESPN babe is interviewing former Rams GM - Billy Devaney about who he thinks is the #1 draft prospect now and who he would take #1 overall.

Devaney said he would take - OLB-Anthony Barr, UCLA

Rams' draft under Devaney:

2008 - drafted Chris Long(DE-Virginia) #2 overall (missed Matt Ryan)

2009 - drafted Jason Smith(OT-Baylor) #2 overall (Andre Smith/Eugene Monroe avail)

2010 - drafted Sam Bradford(QB-Oklahoma) #1 overall - he gets a "pass" on this one.

Devaney was also director of player personnel when the Chargers took Ryan Leaf at #2 overall.

the only other players he drafted in those years that stuck were Roger Saffold(OT) and James Lauriniatis. If he was picking at the back of the draft, this might be acceptable but he was top 5 in each draft with full compliment of picks.

I jest but still not sure about this guy - need more research and input...

img24143725.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barr would never succeed here.

not unless we switch to a 3-4 - this guy is a 3-4 OLB - that is what he is. The last guy we drafted that was tailor made for 3-4 OLB was Kroy Bierrman - while Barr is much better than Bierrman, he has been miscast.

If we draft the player, he needs to fit the scheme.

I don't think he's much of a scheme fit for us, would be a high risk pick IMO I don't want to take. That #1 pick has to be a slam dunk day one starter within our scheme.

THANK YOU! I have been screaming this to the heaven's. I think the first and second round pick have to be slam dunks and immediate starters. And we have to have at least one IMPACT free agent. And if I must say it all three of those need to be either and OL or DL. Then get everyone else healthy.

THANK YOU! I have been screaming this to the heaven's. I think the first and second round pick have to be slam dunks and immediate starters. And we have to have at least one IMPACT free agent. And if I must say it all three of those need to be either and OL or DL. Then get everyone else healthy.

In a perfect world we could move down a few spots nail Hageman then Cyril Richardson round 2. Those are two plug and play guys that could start/contribute right away and Richardson could compete at both RT and RG. If Carlos Hyde was somehow there at the top of 3 I would snatch him up to replace SJAX.

not unless we switch to a 3-4 - this guy is a 3-4 OLB - that is what he is. The last guy we drafted that was tailor made for 3-4 OLB was Kroy Bierrman - while Barr is much better than Bierrman, he has been miscast.

If we draft the player, he needs to fit the scheme.

He would fit the scheme. He would be Nolan's new wildcard OLB/DE just like Kroy has been. I think he would have huge success here.

I think Barr has Aldon Smith type of potential ( on the field ), but I guess I'm like others on this board.

He's not a 4-3 guy. If they drafted barr it would definitely say we're moving to a 3-4.

Some have said he's bad against the run but I don't agree and I've watched him in probably 10 - 11 games the past two years

The guy I want off thre UCLA roster still has a couple more years to go. Any one on here been following Myles Jack?

Played as a true freshman this year. Not only is he a stud at OLB, you can stick him in late in games to run out the clock at RB.

Mora, Jr. did

I was watching on ESPN Insider where an ESPN babe is interviewing former Rams GM - Billy Devaney about who he thinks is the #1 draft prospect now and who he would take #1 overall.

Devaney said he would take - OLB-Anthony Barr, UCLA

Rams' draft under Devaney:

2008 - drafted Chris Long(DE-Virginia) #2 overall (missed Matt Ryan)

2009 - drafted Jason Smith(OT-Baylor) #2 overall (Andre Smith/Eugene Monroe avail)

2010 - drafted Sam Bradford(QB-Oklahoma) #1 overall - he gets a "pass" on this one.

Devaney was also director of player personnel when the Chargers took Ryan Leaf at #2 overall.

the only other players he drafted in those years that stuck were Roger Saffold(OT) and James Lauriniatis. If he was picking at the back of the draft, this might be acceptable but he was top 5 in each draft with full compliment of picks.

I jest but still not sure about this guy - need more research and input...

img24143725.jpg

He's my pick for the Falcons if we go pass rusher. I think he will be a dam good speed rusher. If not him trade down and take the Stanford LB. He can get to the QB too. I think we'll eventually go back to a 3-4 and either one of em would be a good 3-4 rush backer that can drop in coverage.

I believe you can succeed with whoever in whatever formation based on scheme. Scheme is not the same as formation. A scheme has formations and formations have schemes, but they are not one in the same.

No such thing as "would not fit" unless you scheme people out based on what you WANT to do, rather than what works. Most successful schemes, will do so around the players...regardless of formation.