Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Deisel

Holy Mos...smokes. Stephan A Smith Hits A Shot In The Right Direction. Big Trouble Here.

37 posts in this topic

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/randy-hall/2013/12/16/espn-host-it-makes-no-sense-black-conservatives-are-pariahs-our-communit

During most segments of First Take, a weekday program aired on the ESPN sports network, the discussion focuses on a wide variety of topics ranging from football to basketball and even golf. However, on Friday morning, co-host Stephen Smith addressed the subject of race-related politics.

Responding to a feud between Cleveland Browns running back Jim Brown and Los Angeles Laker Kobe Bryant regarding their knowledge of the black culture in the U.S., Smith declared: “It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever” that black conservatives “are considered pariahs and are ostracized in our communities.”

The clash between the football and basketball stars started a week earlier, when Brown was a guest on Arsenio Hall's new weekday talk show on Wednesday, when he charged that Bryant “is confused” about black American culture because he grew up in Italy.

After stating that he thought Brown's remarks were "surprising," Bryant responded with this tweet: “A 'Global' African American is an inferior shade to 'American' African Americans?? #hmmm … that doesn't sound very #Mandela or #DrKing, sir.”

Then on Friday, Smith told First Take co-host Skip Bayless that he spoke with Kobe before that tweet was sent, and Bryant told him that this is “not a conversation that he’s running from. He welcomes the opportunity to have that conversation.”

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/randy-hall/2013/12/16/espn-host-it-makes-no-sense-black-conservatives-are-pariahs-our-communit#ixzz2nqSdP93R

Smith then noted:

When it comes to the African-American community, you have a plethora of individuals. For example, the black population hasn't given the Republican Party more than 15 percent of its vote since 1964.

And anybody who is deemed a black conservative, I am not one of them -- I'm a registered Independent, just to get that out of the way -- but those I know who are black conservatives are considered pariahs and are ostracized in our communities, and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The sportscaster and columnist then used the Brown/Bryant flap to illustrate what he considers a partisan political dynamic within the black community:

But this is how -- this is a problem that exists within our community. Because you are from our community, everybody believes that everybody is supposed to be identical to one another, and we can’t display or exercise any kind of versatility, alright, or range in our thinking.

It’s a problem that we have to deal with. It’s an internal problem that exists, and we’re going to have to handle it because if we don’t, we’re gonna see more Jim Browns speaking out against more Kobe Bryants, and we’re gonna see more Kobe Bryants retaliating against the likes of Jim Brown.

stephen-a-smith.pngAs Ben Shapiro of Breitbart.com posted, this was “not the first time Smith has courageously stepped outside the mainstream to defend free speech.”

While

by conservative radio talk show host Mark Levin on September 17, 2009, Smith said he was “disturbed” by charges of racism against the Tea Party.

“As an African-American growing up on the streets of New York City,” Smith stated, “I understand what trials and tribulations mean, but at the same time, I’m looking at what we’re witnessing from our president, a man I voted for … and I’m looking at what I consider to be a government takeover, and I’m quite alarmed.”

The clash between Bryant, Brown and Smith is yet another example of the Democrats' hypocrisy. While liberals claim to be proponents of diversity, their behavior is 180 degrees in the opposite direction. Martin Luther King, Jr., wished 50 years ago for a future in which his children “will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

Sidenote: Commenting on the discussion, Tommy Christopher of mediaite.com made a serious error of fact he posted:

Few would argue with Smith that black conservatives are treated with special contempt by many of the 90 percent-plus black people who vote Democratic, and while the Republican Party’s reputation on race issues is a contributing factor, Smith’s attribution of the phenomenon to reflexive rigidity is belied by his own facts.

He’s right that black people have voted overwhelmingly Democratic in the civil rights era, but even when the Democrats were still the party of the Ku Klux Klan, black voter party identification was still Democratic by a wide margin. This would appear to indicate that, while the Southern Strategy didn’t help, black support for Democrats has more to do with policy rather than identity.

That's just plain incorrect. As even the left-leaning FactCheck.org has noted, it was not until 1948 that a majority of black Americans began identifying themselves as Democrats:

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/randy-hall/2013/12/16/espn-host-it-makes-no-sense-black-conservatives-are-pariahs-our-communit#ixzz2nqSsbrsO

Stephan A. best not get between Jim Brown. Brown is still a force. I believe he has also done alot of good work in the prison systems and tryed to straighten out some Gangs as well.

Brown's well intentioned. So are a lot of other Blacks who think other Blacks aren't Black enough.

Conversely, there are Whites who think other Whites don't act White enough. It's not like Brown's a freak.

ATLBrave likes this

Brown's legal troubles clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif

• In 1965, an 18-year-old accused Brown of forcing her to have sex after giving her whiskey, but a jury found him innocent of assault and battery in the 10-day trial.
  • In 1968, he was accused of throwing a model from a balcony, but when the 22-year-old woman refused to name Brown as her assailant, the charge of assault with intent to murder was dropped.
  • In 1969, he was acquitted of assaulting a man after a traffic accident in 1969.
  • In 1971, charges that he battered two women were dropped after they failed to testify at his trial.
  • In 1978, he was fined and served a day in jail for beating up a golf partner.
  • In 1985, Brown was charged with rape, sexual battery and assault, but the charges were dropped when the 33-year-old woman gave inconsistent testimony. The next year he was arrested for allegedly beating his fiancée after accusing her of flirting. He spent three hours in jail, but three days later the 21-year-old woman said she didn't want to prosecute.
  • In 1999, Brown was convicted in Los Angeles of smashing the window of his 25-year-old wife Monique's car, but was acquitted of making terrorist threats against her. The judge sentenced him to three years' probation, stripped him of his driver's license for a year, and ordered him to attend special counseling for domestic batterers.

Source: USA TODAY research

clear.gif

That's just up to 2002. It's possible Jim Brown has beat more women over the past decade.

Didn't we already prove that the Democrats from the 40-60s were conservatives, which is not the case today.

Democrats used to stand for states rights and were mainly entrenched in the south, then the civil rights movement happened and everything got switched.

Ah oh, we've got some winner, winner, chicken dinners today. Where's acworth.....GALLUP: RECORD HIGH SAY BIG GOV'T GREATEST THREAT TO COUNTRY... The tea party gets it right, again....Govt is Now the greatest threat...I'd say to our freedom and economic enjoyment.

Interestingly, the Tea Party has record low support as well:

Quinnipiac University Poll. Nov. 6-11, 2013. N=2,545 registered voters nationwide. Margin of error ± 1.9.

"Is your opinion of the Tea Party movement favorable, unfavorable or haven't you heard enough about it?"

Favorable: 27%

Unfavorable: 47%

Haven't Heard Enough: 25%

I also found this interesting:

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. Dec. 12-15, 2013. N=1,005 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.5.

"Some people say the minimum wage should be raised to help low-income workers get by. Others say raising the minimum wage will lead some businesses to cut jobs. Given these arguments, do you support or oppose raising the minimum wage?" Arguments rotated.

Support - 66%

Oppose - 31%

"The minimum wage in this country is now seven dollars and 25 cents an hour. What do you think it should be?"

Mean response - $9.41

Median response - $9.00

But yeah, keep telling yourself that Americans are mostly conservative and want Tea Party policies.

If I were Black, I wouldn't be near Black enough, helll, I'm barely White enough according to my wife

Us "not black enough" are on the rise. BLACK NERDS UNITE.

how are you barely white? And what stereotypical race do you more closely align with, since you are barely white?

how are you barely white? And what stereotypical race do you more closely align with, since you are barely white?

Well, I've got about 20 jerseys from all 3 sports and about 7-8 pairs of kicks, my oldest friend is Black-enough, the valance in my studio is purple, I listen to hip-hop about 1/4 of the time, I played B-Ball and...I find Tyler Perry embarrassing.

You tell me, Asian?

As a black nerd... I don't know how to respond to that...

Used to dislike Stephen A, he said all the correct things but he comes off as a jerk. But after awhile he sorta became the lesser evil to the bunghole of obnoxiousness that is Bayless and now I kinda root for him.

Used to dislike Stephen A, he said all the correct things but he comes off as a jerk. But after awhile he sorta became the lesser evil to the bunghole of obnoxiousness that is Bayless and now I kinda root for him.

The show in general is total garbage. Smith will ramble on and on about nothing before pausing between every word as if that's a good way to emphasize things when he finally gets to his point. Bayless will then say something he knows full well isn't popular in order to stir the pot and essentially poke people with a stick to antagonize them. Smith shouts, "WHAT?!" maybe with a, "Show some respect," thrown in. Yelling ensues. Then the woman laughs and says, "That was a good debate. Now to the next topic." Repeat ad infinitum.

Another black voice that will likely be dismissed because he is not in line with the status quo. Everything I have ever posted here on racial issues has been supported by words from the likes of Spike Lee, Malcom X, and now Stephen Smith. I am not here to entertain another race debate, but I would like to defend one point and accusation.

A poster paraphrased a post I made about blacks. I actually stated that blacks need to be presented more options in life than athlete or rapper. I did not ever say that was the only thing they could be. I also do not form these opinion out of thin air. I read, alot. I gather information and put out an opinion and then get labeled a racist. Name calling being the weakest of debating tactics. However, if I am a racist, then what is Spike Lee?

The whole interview is here Spike Lee: 'Education is the key', but here is what he said on giving career options for black males.

What issues still concern you today in the African-American community?

My No. 1 issue today is education. Half of today's black males don't graduate high school. Only 2 percent of the nation's teachers in America are black men. There are more young black men in prison than in universities. So education is the key. I was just on a panel with Secretary of Education Arne Duncan in Atlanta, Ga., at Morehouse College last Monday. These young black men need to see more options because right now they only see, "I can be a baller, I can be a rapper or I can go in the corner swinging." The first two options you have a better chance of hitting the lottery than being a professional athlete or a rapper. These guys are left on their own and they go for the third option. Education is the key. I'm a graduate of Morehouse College and along with the late great Ralph Wiley, who was a big guy at ESPN, we started a sports journalism program at Morehouse. You can love sports, but there are a ton of jobs where you don't have to play -- and a lot more longevity too. It's all about exposure and for a lot of these young black kids, all they see are the rappers, the ballers and the drug guys dealing on the corners. So we need to expand their exposure. That's what I'm about.

Another black voice that will likely be dismissed because he is not in line with the status quo. Everything I have ever posted here on racial issues has been supported by words from the likes of Spike Lee, Malcom X, and now Stephen Smith. I am not here to entertain another race debate, but I would like to defend one point and accusation.

A poster paraphrased a post I made about blacks. I actually stated that blacks need to be presented more options in life than athlete or rapper. I did not ever say that was the only thing they could be. I also do not form these opinion out of thin air. I read, alot. I gather information and put out an opinion and then get labeled a racist. Name calling being the weakest of debating tactics. However, if I am a racist, then what is Spike Lee?

The whole interview is here Spike Lee: 'Education is the key', but here is what he said on giving career options for black males.

What issues still concern you today in the African-American community?

My No. 1 issue today is education. Half of today's black males don't graduate high school. Only 2 percent of the nation's teachers in America are black men. There are more young black men in prison than in universities. So education is the key. I was just on a panel with Secretary of Education Arne Duncan in Atlanta, Ga., at Morehouse College last Monday. These young black men need to see more options because right now they only see, "I can be a baller, I can be a rapper or I can go in the corner swinging." The first two options you have a better chance of hitting the lottery than being a professional athlete or a rapper. These guys are left on their own and they go for the third option. Education is the key. I'm a graduate of Morehouse College and along with the late great Ralph Wiley, who was a big guy at ESPN, we started a sports journalism program at Morehouse. You can love sports, but there are a ton of jobs where you don't have to play -- and a lot more longevity too. It's all about exposure and for a lot of these young black kids, all they see are the rappers, the ballers and the drug guys dealing on the corners. So we need to expand their exposure. That's what I'm about.

Area, don't sweat these losers. They are race baiters, trolls and seek out an identity, spoofing serious debate. Keep on what you're doing here and congrats on kicking the bottle. No easy decision there. Merry Xmas.
AREA 51 likes this