Is It Time To Switch To 3-4

UK FALCON UK

We know that Mike Nolan prefers to run a 3-4 Defense but it was stated that the Falcons would stick with a 4-3 because the players they had drafted/signed were based on that formation which makes sense to a certain point. It is clear that without any pass rush whatsoever from what we have moving to a 3-4 could help provide one. For those players that can't adapt let them go (were possible) and draft/sign players based on the 3-4 scheme e.g Orakpo or Clay Matthews. Biermann would clearly fit into this scheme and it seems we have a nice group of Linebackers now providing they can stay healthy. 3 of our D line are free agents so now could well be the time to switch or we could just watch our defense do the same thing it has for the last 5 years. That said i'm not saying that switching to a 3-4 would be a miracle cure for this D but unless we can somehow cut about 8 players and get 8 really good replacements all within our salary cap then how much better can this D get in 2014?

Re-sign Peters. I think he could fit in as a 2 gapping 5 technique. Travian Robertson should also be a fit.

Yeah it scares me though going to a new defense with untried and tested pieces though and both are hardly dominant pieces up front it could well expose that inexperienced LBing quad we'd have behind them aswell.

It means reshaping the roster especially in the front 7.

For starters we don't really have any 2 gap DT/NT's

Our young de's (Massaquoi & Maponga) are leaner and could convert to rush LB's fairly easily. Goodman could play the 5 technique as he has nice size for the position. All we really need is a true nose and Raji will be a FA this offseason or we can draft Nix from ND.

Yeah it scares me though going to a new defense with untried and tested pieces though and both are hardly dominant pieces up front it could well expose that inexperienced LBing quad we'd have behind them aswell.

If we go into next season with the status quo, we will definitely have a supbar defensive line. If we switch to a 3-4 we have the chance to get better but it is hard to imagine us being much worse than this year.

Our young de's (Massaquoi & Maponga) are leaner and could convert to rush LB's fairly easily. Goodman could play the 5 technique as he has nice size for the position. All we really need is a true nose and Raji will be a FA this offseason or we can draft Nix from ND.

Again untested rooks in a new scheme.

Mass is just starting to get it in what we are doing now.

Personally Maponga is a project and I don't no how well either play in space argh I'm just not feeling it.

I mean if we stick with what we are doing get a guy like Arthur Jones or Linval Joseph and maybe land Clowney to me this is more of a viable solution to me.

If we go into next season with the status quo, we will definitely have a supbar defensive line. If we switch to a 3-4 we have the chance to get better but it is hard to imagine us being much worse than this year.

Theres nothing wrong with the scheme we are running now all it needs is an injection of talent.

Think about less the injuries the scheme worked fine 2012 you add talent like mentioned above we are right back in it.

Yes,

Our front 7 is less than worthless anyway. You can turn dent into olb, along with osi, then draft barr aswell. Youll have a good rotation of barr, dent, osi, kb. Then sign peters and have him play de, along with an f.a nt, and draft another 3-4 De and Nt.

Soon, worrillow, and batu can play the mlbs

just wondering WHY SWITCH I've seen nothing that proves a 3-4 is inherently a better formation

everything I've heard is that it is much harder to find the right personnel for a 3-4 than it is to find personnel for a 4-3 or a 4-2--5

That is simply not true. The shift changes from it being hard to find the stud 4-3 DE to finding the stud 3-4 NT. You can find a lot of guys to rush the passer from the 3-4. It simply demands less from your pass rushers.

I disagree totally, we have been drafting and developing toward a 4-3 base for quite awhile now and I got zero patience for a scheme switch in 14 that would be a total clusterfk for a couple years. I want to retain Nolan and stay the course. He now has his man corners, lets give him another year to tweak the front 7 and see what happens.

We already run a hybrid defense that goes with 3-4 looks a lot. Or at least with Kroy we do.

Doesn't really matter what you call it, we play whatever type of defense we think we need on any given down and i like it that way. We aren't really a 4-3 Or a 3-4 team when you get right down to it.

Of course it is time to switch. Three DT's are free agents in a couple of months. TD has quietly been drafting 3-4 guys. All we need is a real NT.

3-4 DE's: Corey Peters, Cliff Matthews, Travian Robertson

3-4 LB's:

OLB's- Massaquoi, Bierman, Maponga

ILB's- Spoon, Bartu, Worrilow, Chase

If we add a NT and another DE, we will be set for the 3-4.

Examples of players that would fit the 3-4 after the first round.

McCullers and Cobble at NT

Anderson, Hart, Gardner, Raciti, and Urban at 3-4 DE.

Rielly, Attachou and Breslin for 3-4 OLB

The switch would finally allow the athletes to make plays on defense. Suddenly, we would have a pass rush.

I don't see why not. Our defense is garbage for the most part. A rehaul isn't out of the question.

Simply changing the formation isn't the answer. They are basically the same. Usually its just based on who you have, unless your DC has a vision based on one or the other...or a mixture of the two.

BTW....we are supposed to be going to a LEO, which is what Seattle runs. A 4-3 with elements of the 3-4.