Clowney Is What We Need

ChessPlayer1

Jadeveon Clowney*, DE, South Carolina

Height: 6-6. Weight: 272.

Projected 40 Time: 4.60.

Projected Round (2014): Top-Five Pick.

12/14/13: Clowney didn't help himself when he received a speeding ticket for going 110 mph in a 70 mph zone earlier this week. South Carolina will take on Wisconsin in their bowl game.

Clowney has 40 tackles, three sacks, 12.5 tackles for a loss, two passes defended and a forced fumble in 2013. He decided to sit out against Kentucky and Coastal Carolina. The junior has also had a big impact on game plans with teams deliberately going the other direction.

In the regular-season finale, Clowney had three tackles with two tackles for a loss and a sack against Clemson. He performed well overall this year, but hasn't been as dominant as in his sophomore season. However, Clowney has been getting an insane amount of blocking and game-plan attention - more than any team could get away with in the NFL.

It was evident during the 2013 season opener against North Carolina that Clowney's conditioning was subpar. His snap count didn't warrant him being as tired as he was and he clearly took some plays off. Sources told WalterFootball.com Clowney lacked a good work ethic in his conditioning and took a significant amount of plays off last year. Both issues were given further proof versus the Tar Heels. After a rough start, Clowney showed improved effort and wasn't taking plays off like he did in the season opener. Clowney improved his conditioning in the second half of the year.

Clowney recorded four tackles, a sack and a forced fumble against Vanderbilt. Versus Tennessee, he went against potential first-round left tackle Antonio Richardson. Clowney was a beast against the run early on and made a number of plays behind the line of scrimmage. The junior picked up five tackles with 2.5 tackles for a loss, plus got some pass pressures. Generally, Richardson won his snaps in pass protection against Clowney, and late in the game, South Carolina was moving Clowney around to go against other offensive linemen.

8/12/13: Clowney is a NFL-ready phenom who head coach Steve Spurrier said was ready to turn pro coming out of high school. Clowney has been as good as advertised after being the No.1 recruit in the nation. He dominated the SEC in 2012. Clowney has a rare skill set with elite speed, strength and athleticism. He could turn into the "Andrew Luck" of defensive draft prospects; a high-pick lock who is extremely coveted by every team in the NFL and a safe selection to turn into an elite franchise player.

Clowney was one of the best players in college football last year. The sophomore amassed 54 tackles, 23.5 tackles for a loss, three forced fumbles, two passes batted and 13 sacks. He finished sixth in the voting for the Heisman Trophy.

Clowney has incredible explosion off the snap. He is lightning fast coming off the edge and has the power to shed blocks. Plus, Clowney has already developed an arsenal of pass-rushing moves. He wrecks game plans and constantly requires double-, or even triple-, teams. Clowney also seems to have the ability to get some of his sacks shearly on the basis of intimidation.

Clowney is extremely strong against the run in taking on offensive linemen. He is a stout defender at the point of attack and maintains his gap.

Clowney was the SEC Freshman of the Year and a Second-Team All-SEC selection in 2011. He totaled 36 tackles with eight sacks, 12 tackles for a loss and five forced fumbles. Clowney did well against top competition including a good game against Georgia's Cordy Glenn.

While Clowney already is an impact player, the scary part is he has immense upside and seems to be just scratching the surface of what he can be. Clowney has the physical talent to be a dominant NFL player and is the best defensive prospect to enter the next level since Ndamukong Suh.

Personal: Son of Josenna Clowney. Raised by Josenna and maternal grandparents John and Josephine Clowney. His father, David Morgan, served 12 years in prison for robbery. Was nicknamed "Doo-Doo" as a child.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah honestly I just looked up the value of top round picks versus the rest of the draft... according to this convincing research paper based on performance statistics, top round draft picks are immensely overrated.

http://statsportscon..._NFL_Draft.pdf

Look at the Pick Value Charts on page 9 and 11.

Edited by FALCONSFAN1492

Let's be honest........ Everybody knows Atlanta wants Clowney.....And knowing TD and depending where we end up in the draft......we all know TD will trade up

But Clowney makes all the sense in the world. Would general manager Thomas Dimitroff, whose daring trade for receiver Julio Jones doesn’t look great today, trade up to get Clowney? It can’t be ruled out. “I can see Atlanta doing something,” says the AFC general manager. “They have an extreme need. He needs defensive help a lot.”

Jadeveon Clowney*, DE, South Carolina

Height: 6-6. Weight: 272.

Projected 40 Time: 4.60.

Projected Round (2014): Top-Five Pick.

12/14/13: Clowney didn't help himself when he received a speeding ticket for going 110 mph in a 70 mph zone earlier this week. South Carolina will take on Wisconsin in their bowl game.

Clowney has 40 tackles, three sacks, 12.5 tackles for a loss, two passes defended and a forced fumble in 2013. He decided to sit out against Kentucky and Coastal Carolina. The junior has also had a big impact on game plans with teams deliberately going the other direction.

In the regular-season finale, Clowney had three tackles with two tackles for a loss and a sack against Clemson. He performed well overall this year, but hasn't been as dominant as in his sophomore season. However, Clowney has been getting an insane amount of blocking and game-plan attention - more than any team could get away with in the NFL.

It was evident during the 2013 season opener against North Carolina that Clowney's conditioning was subpar. His snap count didn't warrant him being as tired as he was and he clearly took some plays off. Sources told WalterFootball.com Clowney lacked a good work ethic in his conditioning and took a significant amount of plays off last year. Both issues were given further proof versus the Tar Heels. After a rough start, Clowney showed improved effort and wasn't taking plays off like he did in the season opener. Clowney improved his conditioning in the second half of the year.

Clowney recorded four tackles, a sack and a forced fumble against Vanderbilt. Versus Tennessee, he went against potential first-round left tackle Antonio Richardson. Clowney was a beast against the run early on and made a number of plays behind the line of scrimmage. The junior picked up five tackles with 2.5 tackles for a loss, plus got some pass pressures. Generally, Richardson won his snaps in pass protection against Clowney, and late in the game, South Carolina was moving Clowney around to go against other offensive linemen.

8/12/13: Clowney is a NFL-ready phenom who head coach Steve Spurrier said was ready to turn pro coming out of high school. Clowney has been as good as advertised after being the No.1 recruit in the nation. He dominated the SEC in 2012. Clowney has a rare skill set with elite speed, strength and athleticism. He could turn into the "Andrew Luck" of defensive draft prospects; a high-pick lock who is extremely coveted by every team in the NFL and a safe selection to turn into an elite franchise player.

Clowney was one of the best players in college football last year. The sophomore amassed 54 tackles, 23.5 tackles for a loss, three forced fumbles, two passes batted and 13 sacks. He finished sixth in the voting for the Heisman Trophy.

Clowney has incredible explosion off the snap. He is lightning fast coming off the edge and has the power to shed blocks. Plus, Clowney has already developed an arsenal of pass-rushing moves. He wrecks game plans and constantly requires double-, or even triple-, teams. Clowney also seems to have the ability to get some of his sacks shearly on the basis of intimidation.

Clowney is extremely strong against the run in taking on offensive linemen. He is a stout defender at the point of attack and maintains his gap.

Clowney was the SEC Freshman of the Year and a Second-Team All-SEC selection in 2011. He totaled 36 tackles with eight sacks, 12 tackles for a loss and five forced fumbles. Clowney did well against top competition including a good game against Georgia's Cordy Glenn.

While Clowney already is an impact player, the scary part is he has immense upside and seems to be just scratching the surface of what he can be. Clowney has the physical talent to be a dominant NFL player and is the best defensive prospect to enter the next level since Ndamukong Suh.

Personal: Son of Josenna Clowney. Raised by Josenna and maternal grandparents John and Josephine Clowney. His father, David Morgan, served 12 years in prison for robbery. Was nicknamed "Doo-Doo" as a child.

Clowney is a mystery to me.....I don't know if He'll be another Dorsey or Bruce Smith.

Yeah honestly I just looked up the value of top round picks versus the rest of the draft... according to this convincing research paper based on performance statistics, top round draft picks are immensely overrated.

http://statsportscon..._NFL_Draft.pdf

Look at the Pick Value Charts on page 9 and 11.

Not really surprising that NFL teams may overvalue higher draft choices, because just like the lottery right now, more people are buying in when the potential payout is higher.

Similarly, yes, your bust rate may not be significantly lower to justify the added cost, but at the same time it is totally worth it when you hit on one of those top picks who is elite at the position. If you did an analysis of elite players and where they were drafted, you'll find more who were picked earlier than later.

Thus, no math is going to tell us whether we're better off being in a position to take Clowney or someone else. Only time will.

I'd honestly liks to trade back into the teens or lower if possible. Make up for lost picks. I know it it won't happen but that doesn't stop anyone else here.

I wouldn't be against this. Clowney is the only guy I see teams competing over in that top 4 range and I don't think he'll be available for us. The question to me is are the QB hungry teams going to trade up to where we are b/c past Bridgewater I don't know that any of the QBs are going to be deemed that valuable.

I wouldn't be against this. Clowney is the only guy I see teams competing over in that top 4 range and I don't think he'll be available for us. The question to me is are the QB hungry teams going to trade up to where we are b/c past Bridgewater I don't know that any of the QBs are going to be deemed that valuable.

Broles if he declares will be interesting, manziel I'm sure a team will fall in love with and Derek Carr is another interesting QB. I would not be surprised to see Clowney falling out of the top 5 and Matthews goin ahead of him(rams)