What Type Of System Do The Falcons Run?

The Golden Child

It's just something that gnaws at me, because I was wondering if we draft players according to a system or do we depend on the individual talent of certain players. Some teams are able to plug guys in more readily because they have multiple system type players - say a Green Bay that has multiple receivers that they can plug in. Take a look at Drew Davis and Kevin Cone - what characteristics do they have that keep them on the depth chart and why was Darius Johnson able to earn more time so quickly. Is it because Darius Johnson fits Dirk Koetter's system whereas Drew Davis and Kevin Cone were more Mularkey types? Now the defense. What is Nolan's system? Remember this was the second time under Nolan that Abraham had to leave. Remember he prefers a bunch of 3 and 4 sack guys. Is that why we drafted so many DEs? Are there any characteristics that Maponga and Goodman have that show that they are system guys? Next year's draft will be one of the more pivotal drafts in Falcons history. What kind of system players will we see?

Take a look at Drew Davis and Kevin Cone - what characteristics do they have that keep them on the depth chart and why was Darius Johnson able to earn more time so quickly. Is it because Darius Johnson fits Dirk Koetter's system whereas Drew Davis and Kevin Cone were more Mularkey types?

I was always wondering about that about DJ... how did he get put in so much faster than our PS WRs and Robiskie?

I don't think there's any doubt that Nolan tailors his scheme to his personnel.

Offensively, we're pretty much forced to tailor the scheme to the players because of the O-line. I'm not the biggest Koetter fan, but at least he's done better than Mularkey in realizing that when the running game isn't working and your QB is getting pressured, maybe it makes sense to actually run some screens.

I think the offense would clearly like to be a balanced "pick your poison" offense that we all envisioned coming into this year. Repair the O-line and that's our identity. More guys than you can cover, one guy that's uncoverable, and a running game that can get involved in the passing game to keep them honest.

Defensively, losing Kroy, not having a pass rush or a guy who can be the rover/joker/whatever in Nolan's nickel/hybrid packages, has probably forced it to be more vanilla, though I do wonder why most of the time they abandon moving guys around and confusing defenses. It worked great against Peyton Manning and Brees, and I really don't see how offenses can adjust if you keep finding new ways to confuse and bait them.

I was always wondering about that about DJ... how did he get put in so much faster than our PS WRs and Robiskie?

Because the kid's got outstanding hands and skill. Cream rises to the top.

After going to training camp and seeing how inconsistent Davis and Cone were, I thought they had to have another plan before forcing hose guys into action, whether that be Johnson or someone else they brought in.