Free Agency As It Stands Now And How It Could Affect The Draft

JulioisCoolio

Obviously this could all change depending on who resigns, gets franchised ect but there are a few positions in FA that are much stronger than others.

DE

Defensive End is very strong in free agency right now. There are a litany of high end options that we might need to look at seeing as how Clowney is probably out of the picture

Michael Johnson

Lamaar Houston (the best all around defensive lineman IMO and a player we should target)

Greg Hardy

Jared Allen

Justin Tuck

Michael Bennett

Looking at this list makes the think it won't be the end of the world if we don't land Clowney.

We need to target Lamaar Houston from the Oakland Raiders. He is a perfect fit @ LDE. He is extremely stout against the run and also averages roughly 5 sacks a season. He would be a nice compliment to Osi.

Offensive Tackle is fairly strong as well

Rodger Saffold

Brandon Albert

Michael Oher

Jared Veldheer

I believe Saffold would be a nice addition out of this group. He won't break the bank and he's not a world beater, but he's extremely solid and would be a 1000% upgrade over Trueblood.

The strongest position in free agency might be Cornerback though.

Captain Munnerlym

Brent Grimes

Charles Tillman

Tim Jennings

Sam Shields

Vonte Davis

Aquib Talib

Brandon Browner

Alterraun Verner

Dhall

So many quality CB's to choose from. If we release asante like I believe we should, we need to be in the market for a 3rd CB to go with Trufant and Alford.

There are so many quality Cb's though that I'm not going to pick. One of the guys listed would make an incredible #2-3 CB though.

So, lets say free agency goes something like this

DE - Lamaar Houston (#1 FA wish)

OT - Rodger Saffold (Instant plug and play starter @ RT)

CB - insert a name here.

That would be an extremely nice start @ rebuilding our lines while adding depth to the secondary and it is also feasible salary cap wise..

We head into the draft still needing a few things, namely OG, DT, OLB. This sets us up very nicely in the draft.

Obviously depending on where we pick this could all change slightly, but as of now it's looking like we'll pick in the 4-7 range. I believe the best prospect in that range is going to be

OLB - Khalil Mack - Instantly takes over the joker role in Nolans defense and gives us a LB corps of Spoon-Worrilow-Mack. Our LB's are suddenly a strength, especially if Worrilow continues to progress.

OG - Gabe Jackson - I believe Jackon would provide the biggest upgrade to the biggest position of need on the OL. I really want DT Aaron Donald here, but OG is too big of a need to wait another round on.

DT - Will Sutton - Basically every DT on the roster is a FA. The position will need to be addressed and possibly even double downed' on in the draft. If Gabe Jackson is gone Donald should be the pick.

Not gonna do a full mock, just giving you an idea of the direction I would like to go in based on strengths in FA and what could possibly be needed in the draft.

Starting OL

OT - Sam Baker/Lamar Holmes

OG - Justin Blalock

C - Hawley/Konz

OG - Jackson/Reynolds

OT - Saffold/Holmes

Starting DL

DE - Osi

DT - Sutton

DT - Peters

DE - Houston

Starting LB's

OLB - Spoon

MLB - Worrilow/Dent

OLB - Mack

This would be my vision. DT is still a need as is FS imo, but it's hard to fix everything in one offseason. I think we would still be able to bring in a mid tier DT and possibly WR/TE to take TG's place, but I'm trying to keep this as realistic as possible.

Branden Albert is probably the best OT out of the bunch, but he is a LT. He stayed at LT this season while Eric Fisher played RT. If he could play RT and was open to it i would definitely prefer him since Baker has tried and failed badly at RT.

Albert will probably get 10+ mil a yr though. I'd prefer him over Baker as well, but we just can't throw that money @ OT right now with Baker's BS contract.

Really like the three round mock. All 3 are instant starters most likely. I like the group of CB's you put up, but I honestly think will just go with Trufant, Alford, McClain and Franks, and rely on Vet presence from William Moore, and maybe Decoud. All in all, I really like what you've put together, I would be pretty happy with this off season if it went this way just judging by the three round mock it looks like you have the same idea as me BPA on defense in the first, OG in the second (Unless Hageman falls) and DT in the third (there's going to be a ton to choose from).

Really like the three round mock. All 3 are instant starters most likely. I like the group of CB's you put up, but I honestly think will just go with Trufant, Alford, McClain and Franks, and rely on Vet presence from William Moore, and maybe Decoud. All in all, I really like what you've put together, I would be pretty happy with this off season if it went this way just judging by the three round mock it looks like you have the same idea as me BPA on defense in the first, OG in the second (Unless Hageman falls) and DT in the third (there's going to be a ton to choose from).

Yea, I'm not sure we would sign a FA CB either, but I feel like we should considering the division we are in. I appreciate the good words. I don't think it's perfect by any means, I mean I can even point out holes in my own offseason, I just don't think one can be perfect. DT is still weak in my offseason. I wouldn't mind going Aaron Donald and then going best OG in the 3rd either. I just don't know as much about the 3rd round OGs as I do the 2nd rounders.

Branden Albert is probably the best OT out of the bunch, but he is a LT. He stayed at LT this season while Eric Fisher played RT. If he could play RT and was open to it i would definitely prefer him since Baker has tried and failed badly at RT.

I don't remember seeing Baker play RT. I do remember him failing at the RG position.

Yea, I'm not sure we would sign a FA CB either, but I feel like we should considering the division we are in. I appreciate the good words. I don't think it's perfect by any means, I mean I can even point out holes in my own offseason, I just don't think one can be perfect. DT is still weak in my offseason. I wouldn't mind going Aaron Donald and then going best OG in the 3rd either. I just don't know as much about the 3rd round OGs as I do the 2nd rounders.

If you got those two DT's then resign Babineuex if he will take less money to stay in Atlanta then we have some pretty solid DT's with Robertson as well. Adds to the depth, and Babineux can also play DE in other situations.

I don't remember seeing Baker play RT. I do remember him failing at the RG position.

Yeah he has. It was a disaster. I wish i could remember what game where he played some snaps. It was only a handful because i want to say that Ryan got a safety because he got beat right off the snap. I'm sure someone else remembers better than I do.

Yeah he has. It was a disaster. I wish i could remember what game where he played some snaps. It was only a handful because i want to say that Ryan got a safety because he got beat right off the snap. I'm sure someone else remembers better than I do.

I did the men in black memory flasher to myself after that game.

I'd pass on them defensive ends. Don't really like the idea of relying on a veteran for a pass rush again. Also pass on corner unless it's a cheap veteran with good leadership skills. I think we've got a nice trio with Trufant, Alford and McClain already. I think a FA defensive tackle would be more likely.

Edited by Rai

Johson is too inconsistent - ALLen i think still has plenty in the tank and would be cheaper - pretty sure Allen is going to be where Abraham is at the end of his career 9-11 sacks a year till he is 35 or so - he is so consistent even when they have had random DT players on the line. Bring him in cheap if we dont get clowney Trade down and draft more lineman and DTs (jones) and Attachuo in the 3rd or back of 2nd. or Stay where we are at and bring in Mack.

I'd pass on them defensive ends. Don't really like the idea of relying on a veteran for a pass rush again. Also pass on corner unless it's a cheap veteran with good leadership skills. I think we've got a nice trio with Trufant, Alford and McClain already. I think a FA defensive tackle would be more likely.

Houston is only 27 years old. It's not like we'd be bringing in another Osi. The thing about Houston that I love is that he can also play DT. The guy is 300 pounds. He might actually be a better fit @ DT for us, but he would be great in the 3 DT package that Nolan loves to use. He would bring some much needed SIZE to our DL.

I know Houston has played LDE this year and some last season, but he is equally as good at DT. If we got him, I would use him the same way we use Babs. He is real good against the run and will get you a handful of sacks. I would still target another DT as well in FA to solidify the interior .

Houston is only 27 years old. It's not like we'd be bringing in another Osi. The thing about Houston that I love is that he can also play DT. The guy is 300 pounds. He might actually be a better fit @ DT for us, but he would be great in the 3 DT package that Nolan loves to use. He would bring some much needed SIZE to our DL.

Good point on Houston there. His versatility would be really valuable for us.