Lamar Holmes Not Satisfied With His Play

JOEinPHX

I guess that makes it unanimous.

From ESPN http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/53211/lamar-holmes-not-satisfied-with-his-play

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Lamar Holmes has made some strides since the start of the season, but Sunday’s game marked a noticeable step back for the Atlanta Falcons left tackle.

Offensive line coach Pat Hill warned Holmes he was in for quite a challenge against Redskins relentless pass-rusher Brian Orakpo. Well, Orakpo finished with 1.5 sacks, two quarterback hits, and countless pressures on Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

"Orakpo, he’s a good player. I can’t take anything away from him," Holmes said. "He came off and did some good things. I did some good things. But I could have held up a little bit better.

"I really won’t know exactly what happened until we get back and watch the film. I’ll just assess myself and see what I could have done better, see the areas that I need to work on."

Holmes was whistled for holding on Orakpo’s second-quarter sack of Ryan, but the penalty was declined. Holmes also was penalized 15 yards for clipping Orakpo on Ryan’s short pass to Jason Snelling late in the third quarter.

"Actually, I didn’t think it was a clip," Holmes said. "I thought my head was going toward my goal line. I tried to cut my guy. They saw it as a clip. It’s their choice to make that call, and they made the call. So there’s nothing I can really say about it."

The Falcons still say Holmes has a bright future, which is why they continue to express faith in the former third-round pick from Southern Mississippi. He began the season as a first-year starter at right tackle who was trying to work his way into playing shape. After the Falcons lost starting left tackle Sam Baker to a season-ending knee injury, Holmes became Ryan’s primary blindside protector.

Holmes has two more games remaining to impress the organization and possibly earn consideration to become the left tackle of the future. Head coach Mike Smith said there are no immediate plans to move Baker to right tackle, but such a move might be determined by how Baker’s knee responds after rehab.

The Falcons currently hold the No. 5 overall pick the NFL draft, and it's fair to wonder if they might consider drafting Texas A&M left tackle Jake Matthews, considering how much Ryan has been hit this season.

As for Holmes, he still has to contend with at least one elite pass-rusher in San Francisco’s Aldon Smith next Monday night.

"Really, I just have to continue to grow," Holmes said. "This year, I’ve really learned a lot; a lot of different things on how to play this game and how to go about being a pro. I just have to continue to build on it. And hopefully, I can have [a] successful and great career at the end of it."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Physical ability is there...not sure about heart/drive.

http://http://espn.go.com/b...d-with-his-play

Holmes has two more games remaining to impress the organization and possibly earn consideration to become the left tackle of the future. Head coach Mike Smith said there are no immediate plans to move Baker to right tackle, but such a move might be determined by how Baker’s knee responds after rehab.

If LH becomes the starting LT and Baker goes to RT...wow!

http://http://espn.go.com/b...d-with-his-play

It's going to happen. People are going to be livid when it does, but they will be our OTs next year.

I'm going to puke if Baker and Holmes are our starting tackles next year. TD's wash and repeat philosophy.

We have no choice. We cannot cut baker, because of the money he commands. I really wish we did not pay baker, I knew it was a bad move as soon as it was announced. Also we got a lot of other needs just on the Line. We still need an RT, RG, C. So, I think we stick with Baker/Holmes at LT, Hawley vs Konz for C, draft an RT, and sign an RG. Next year we will find Baker/holmes replacement.

We have no choice. We cannot cut baker, because of the money he commands. I really wish we did not pay baker, I knew it was a bad move as soon as it was announced. Also we got a lot of other needs just on the Line. We still need an RT, RG, C. So, I think we stick with Baker/Holmes at LT, Hawley vs Konz for C, draft an RT, and sign an RG. Next year we will find Baker/holmes replacement.

We may not cut him, but we can sit him. He's gonna get paid regardless, right? So, my philosophy is you play your best players, not your best-paid players.

Healthy.. He is one of the best players... HEALTHY THO.

I agree with you on that. I'm just saying you can't let salary dictate your decisions on whom to play. A good example is Worrilow. Dude is making less than $500,000 this season, but he's beasting at LB. You play your best players regardless of who's the best paid.

http://http://espn.g...d-with-his-play

This is a sign huh.png ..... A STOP sign at that unsure.pngwacko.png !

Ar least he's finally owning up to the bullsh*t play.

If he shows up to camp looking like a fatty again drop him immediately.

Frankenbaker on the other hand is one hurt feeling away from Fred Sanford's Junk Pile wacko.png !

He don't fit the Style of offense this talent needs to use for sustained success in the run or pass. And BACK, KNEE, FEELINGS, problems can linger for a lifetime..... TD, will have to eat this one, as is with DeCold blink.png !!

Yea, Baker is going to be here. I know that's not what a lot of people want to hear.

While some guys are going to be on roster and not starting I actually think Baker will be our starting LT next year. Maybe he shifts to RT but I doubt it. You've got to replace RG, RT, probably C as well. With the $ tied up in Baker he'll get an opportunity to win/keep his job considering he was injured.

I'm not as down on Baker as most are. When he was healthy in 2012 he was our best OL IMO. May not be saying a lot but I feel like he can at least be serviceable which is more than I can say for Konz @ Center, Reynolds, Holmes & Trueblood (who I realize was a stop-gap).

I just don't think you can draft a center and expect him to be up to speed next season so it's either Hawley or a FA there and RG will probably be a FA pickup too. With the other holes to fill on D, etc. I just don't think they have the luxury of discarding Baker or burying him on the depth chart until he's failed miserably in some games next season.

"I did some good things " ????? No, you stunk. Period.

This just wreaks of Mike Smith and is exactly the problem with "Smittybuilt" players, they are as delusional as he is. No Mike, you got beat like a rented mule all day, how about starting from there and getting back to work. It's the same as TD he puts this disaster on the field with no lines and patches everywhere and proceeds to tell the media how much "creativity " went into building this roster.... IS HE SERIOUS ??? another case of delusion that is so prevalent in this regime. How do you fix a problem if you don't think its really a problem ? apparently by judging our O and D lines that we started with this season he thought everything was pretty good. We all know how that turned out, our QB runs for his life, we have no running game and 2nd string QB's on the worst teams in the league look like HOF's against our D. No chance next year under these guys I am afraid, none.

I fear that TDs success when he first got here has disillusioned himself in regards to what makes a good OL. He showed up with nobodies on the line but they were successful and credit was given too late round gems and continuity. This is not how we should continue. Continuity can make a good line great but crap is crap