Your Experience With Police

AREA 51

I am interested in personal stories. I believe, maybe naively, that as a matter of practice, police do not harass, beat or kill innocent people. Yes, it has happened, but those are usually mistakes or negligence, and those are also unacceptable.

What I want here is personal experiences. Those of yourself or close family or friends, not news stories. There is a good size, diverse, sampling here, so I want to see if I am off base with my prevailing thoughts.

So, has anyone here had or know of any personal experiences with police that involved brutality when you or the person were completely innocent. When I say innocent, I mean you were not breaking any law whatsoever that would attract police, even littering. Has anyone completely innocent, minding their own business been accosted by police?

I have described my encounters in another thread. I have several, but I was guilty, and I was never treated badly, but if answers here show a different pattern, I will surely give that a consideration.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been innocently arrested twice in my life. The first time was on my 18th birthday. I forgot my wallet and was pulled over for speeding. The cop said his computer showed my license was suspended. I asked him to show me and explained that I was on my way to see my parents for my bday and just forgot it. After I was cuffed he put dogs in my car and I got strip searched at the jail. All charges were thrown out of court.

The second time I don't want to go too far into. The cops were called over for a domestic issue due to yelling. I was arrested for something that never happened. Spent 4 days on Rice St. 24 weeks of counseling. And no, I didn't do anything yet still got a sentence.

P.S. While in court, a girl recognized me from HS that works there. She filled me in on this wonderful policy instituted due to the number of lawsuits. If the police are called for domestic issues, one person will go to jail. If kids are in the house, the man goes to jail. If the police leave without arresting somebody, they are liable for anything that happens after they leave. The way to solve that is to always arrest somebody.

This happened to my younger brother this summer.

This happened to my brother Sunday in Memphis, TN. He was on the way back from a knife show in Arkansas with his co-worker. He works part time for a small, custom metalworks and knife maker. This is what the owner of the company, who was not with my brother and his co-worker but recounted their story, posted on the company's facebook page. I changed the name of the company, as well as my brother and his co-worker's names. My brother is "Steve," and his co-work "Brian" (not their real names).

"Sadly not all police officers take their oaths as seriously as I do. First let me say this. I am the CEO of ******* Bladeworks. I am also a full time LEO. Brian just spent 5 years as a Muscogee County Ga sheriffs deputy. Steve works in high level corporate security when he is not grinding blades for me. I say that to say this.

On their way home from the A. G. Russell knife show the boys were stopped by two young Memphis cops just as they came into their jurisdiction. The first officer asked Steve to see his license and registration. Steve was reaching for that when the officer noticed Steve had a bulge in his pocket. He asked what it was. Steve stated it was a pistol and he had is permit to carry concealed. Now just so you know TN is not a duty to notify state.

At this time guns are placed against both his and Brian's heads. They are dragged from the vehicle, placed in handcuffs, put on the side of the road, searched, had all of their property taken from them, and at no time asked for a consent to search.

They were not notified why they were stopped. While the removal and cuffing was going on the following statements were made; "not telling me about your gun is a great way to get shot", "If you move my partner is going to pop your head off like a peanut",and my favorite "Why do you need all these guns? Are you a separatist? You some kind of white supremacist?"

During all of this Steve and Brian did not resist and complied with all verbal commands. Both stated and provided current valid permits to have those firearms. At that time one of the officers stated he smelled weed in their rental car and Brian and Steve both looked at him like he was crazy. Steve gets drug tested regularly with his day job and Brian is still a Post certified LEO.

At this time Brian asked why they had been stopped. One of the officers stated they were looking for a reason to stop cars looking for drugs and such when they saw them go over the white line a little. The boys kept their cool and explained where they were coming from and where they were going. They told them they were knife makers and gave them cards.

There were no charges (since the boys broke no law) and the officers left the scene. They then called me. I was beyond furious and got all the information from the stop and called the Memphis PD. I logged a formal complaint with the shift commander and will be very interested to see where it goes. I stated I would love to see the dash cam footage or hear the audio and was told that the Memphis PD does not have dash cams or car audio recording devices. That is odd because Buena Vista GA has about 1800 people and has those in their cars. The guys were held at gun point and treated like criminals because they exercised their second amendment rights.

This is not over. Please share this as much as you can to raise awareness that the Memphis PD will pull a stunt like this. I am literally sick and ashamed right now that brother LEO did this. This kind of behavior should not be condoned by any department much less one as large as Memphis."

In the comments below the story on the facebook, they got in touch with the Memphis PD and figured out these two **** stain rookies lied about being on the drug interdiction force, and were normal patrol officers. I told my brother to contact the NRA and let them raise some **** about this.

A few years ago the small county I live in decided to equip most of their county police cars with ALPR (Automatic License Plate Recognition) computers so they can quickly scan dozens of license plates in a matter of seconds and get all kinds of information about the car and owner. Well earlier this year I renewed my car tag online on the day it was due. I got a print out of the payment confirmation and put it in my car. The very next day one of my county's police officers pulled me over and said I was driving with an expired tag. I told him that I renewed my tag online the day before and I showed him the payment confirmation. He said the payment confirmation didn't matter because his ALPR computer was showing my car tag as expired, and he wrote me a ticket. I called my local tag office and explained how I paid for my tag and got a ticket for an expired tag, and the lady at the tag office said that their computer systems does not update tag information until the payment is processed, which is usually 48 hours or so after it is submitted online (nice to know). About a week or so later I got a letter from the municiapl court saying that my ticket was being dismissed. I called the municpal court to make sure that I didn't have to show up in court to fight the ticket anymore, and the guy said that the cops have been routinely giving out tickets for only expired tags and the court docket was getting so backed up with them that the courts decided to dismiss all of them.

Edited by young mr. grace

I’ll oblige you Area51.

I may have v.e.nted this before on this board.

About two summers ago, I was Driving While Black, in Douglasville.

It was a cool Friday night, late, after 11:00 PM. I drove around the streets of downtown Douglasville, windows down and seriously, I was just enjoying major league baseball on XM Radio.

I pass a police car, driving in the opposite direction. Seconds later, in my rear view, I notice him U-Turn. He catches up to me, and eventually puts his lights on and we stop.

Although he acted polite, later on I got mad over it.

I am SURE he only stopped me because I am/was a black man, driving late at night.

I only wish I had then filed an official complaint. But now, it’s just something in the past.

I used to get constantly get pulled over while hanging out with one of my best friends, who happened to be black. We would be riding to shoot pool or something and always get pulled over. Every single fugging time the cops would ask 1. How we knew each other (school) 2. Where were we going & 3. If they could search the car. On a few occasions I had the cops ask me why I hung out with him. Shlt was just stupid.

I used to get constantly get pulled over while hanging out with one of my best friends, who happened to be black. We would be riding to shoot pool or something and always get pulled over. Every single fugging time the cops would ask 1. How we knew each other (school) 2. Where were we going & 3. If they could search the car. On a few occasions I had the cops ask me why I hung out with him. Shlt was just stupid.

Lee County Sheriffs or Phenix City PD?

My latest experience with the police was when my friend made a legal three point turn since he missed the entrance of the place we were going to. We then got pulled over, he was taken out of the car, they called for backup, started demanding to search the vehicle (he kept telling them they couldn't without a search warrant), and kept trying to provoke myself and the others in the car. After about an hour of this they left and gave him a ticket, which he promptly challenged in court. Their argument was that he cut off the cop car and someone else who was moving across the intersection but, funny enough, the "someone else," they referenced to was a friend of ours who just happened to be in the area and he was used as a witness to refute the cops story.

I guess I haven't had any really bad experiences with the police, just some head scratchers.

1) To the person that said they got arrested for a suspended license when it was not, same sh1t happened to me one night in a county north of Muscogee County in Georgia! My license was not suspended (as shown on the license), they knew it, said the computer was phucking up, apologized as they put my azz in the back of the patrol car, carried on a conversation on the way to the jail, they apologized (again) as I was being booked into the jail, locked my azz up for the night, let me go the next morning when they got confirmation that the computer info was WRONG! Came back to court, judge threw that sh1t out and expunged my record! To this day, I still have to answer the question "Have you ever been arrested" with a yes answer (even though it doesn't show up on my record). Oh well..................

2) Long time ago, cops in the town directly across the river from Columbus (don't want to spell it out) stopped us (me and several other soldiers) on 431 one night on our way back from Panama City to Ft. Benning. I was sitting in the back seat. Cops made us get our azzes out of the vehicle (they had drawn their weapons) and made us stand on the side of the road for no **** reason, didn't even search the vehicle! Gave us some BS excuse that they were on a drug sweep (once they realized what we were). Regiment instructed everyone to avoid PC for a while based on that incident. I didn't even get mad about the sh1t!!!!

I guess I haven't had any really bad experiences with the police, just some head scratchers.

1) To the person that said they got arrested for a suspended license when it was not, same sh1t happened to me one night in a county north of Muscogee County in Georgia! My license was not suspended (as shown on the license), they knew it, said the computer was phucking up, apologized as they put my azz in the back of the patrol car, carried on a conversation on the way to the jail, they apologized (again) as I was being booked into the jail, locked my azz up for the night, let me go the next morning when they got confirmation that the computer info was WRONG! Came back to court, judge threw that sh1t out and expunged my record! To this day, I still have to answer the question "Have you ever been arrested" with a yes answer (even though it doesn't show up on my record). Oh well..................

2) Long time ago, cops in the town directly across the river from Columbus (don't want to spell it out) stopped us (me and several other soldiers) on 431 one night on our way back from Panama City to Ft. Benning. I was sitting in the back seat. Cops made us get our azzes out of the vehicle (they had drawn their weapons) and made us stand on the side of the road for no **** reason, didn't even search the vehicle! Gave us some BS excuse that they were on a drug sweep (once they realized what we were). Regiment instructed everyone to avoid PC for a while based on that incident. I didn't even get mad about the sh1t!!!!

There have been a lot of issues/scandals/controversies with the police departments and sheriff's offices on both sides of the river here.

Coming back from a party one night in Salem, I just dropped the last homie off and was headed to my house it was about 2am. Detects pull me over, don't tell me for what, snatch me out the car, toss my car, leave my **** in the street, and tell me to have a nice night.

Pulled over and ticketed for ruining a light that didn't exist.

Like a month ago me and a friend were going to my spot like 1:30am. We see like 4 blue and whites with people pulled over already so we made a point to not be doing anything suspect. So of course we get pulled over (never told why), cop ask me for my license. I say for what? I'm the passenger there is no reason for you to ask for my license. He said I don't have to give it to him, and I say I know.

So he stands there and like a minute later is like, you're not going to give it to me? I said no, you have no reason to need my id. So they tell my homie that he's going to pay for me.So they hit us with like $600 in tickets...all because I exercised my rights. Got them tickets thrown out tho because cop was stupid enough to tell the driver "you have your passenger to think for that" and I recorded the whole ****.

Pops car got stolen, he called the police to which they reply...oh we don't come out for that.

I got robbed at gun point, didn't call the police tho, figured why make a bad situation worse?

**** the police.

So, in light of all these testimonies, plus countless others we know nothing about, is it pretty heartless to even THINK, when a cop gets jacked up, that maybe his a.z.z. perhaps just deserved it, in a karma kind of way?

I can't agree with that for several reasons:

1) My father (RIP) was a policeman for a little while after he returned from Korea, so no, not all police are bad in my eyes!

2) It depends on the person. In the first example that I gave, me and the Deputies were jovial and cracking jokes! I was running late for a date (going from Ft. Benning to home (Atlanta)), and I was running so **** fast, if the radar detector didn't alert (they were sitting in the median with the lights off and had instant on radar), I wouldn't have seen them! They were going to let me go with a warning (said as much), but couldn't since the info in the computer (suspended) didn't match my license (license were renewed after the "supposed" suspended date)!

3) The cops in the second example were just being d1cks!

He11, I can give another example on the Jersey Turnpike! Troopers (two in the vehicle) in an unmarked vehicle pulled up beside us, rolled down the window (the windows were tinted), looked at our vehicle (we were sure that they were about to pull us over and search the vehicle (we weren't speeding)), gave us the once over, rolled up the window, hauled azz up the turnpike......................and pulled someone else over!

Anyone from Atlanta remember when them b1tch azz Red Dogs would harass you for nothing??? But again, it depends on the particular cop!

I can't agree with that for several reasons:

1) My father (RIP) was a policeman for a little while after he returned from Korea, so no, not all police are bad in my eyes!

2) It depends on the person. In the first example that I gave, me and the Deputies were jovial and cracking jokes! I was running late for a date (going from Ft. Benning to home (Atlanta)), and I was running so **** fast, if the radar detector didn't alert (they were sitting in the median with the lights off and had instant on radar), I wouldn't have seen them! They were going to let me go with a warning (said as much), but couldn't since the info in the computer (suspended) didn't match my license (license we're renewed after the "susposed" suspended date)!

2) The cops in the second example were just being d1cks!

He11, I can give another example on the Jersey Turnpike! Troopers (two in the vehicle) in an unmarked vehicle pulled up beside us, rolled down the window (the windows were tinted), looked at our vehicle (we were sure that they were about to pull us over and search the vehicle (we weren't speeding)), gave us the once over, rolled up the window, hauled azz up the turnpike......................and pulled someone else over!

Anyone from Atlanta remember when them b1tch azz Red Dogs would harass you for nothing??? But again, it depends on the particular cop!

I'm pretty harsh on cops here, but it's completely unfair to say all of them are bad eggs. I have friends in law enforcement and a former client, they're all good people. Just as with any profession, there are bad eggs and they get all of the attention.

You know I guess many things are just personal experience. In virtually all of your stories I find something to be outraged at.

mdrake- There was no apparent reason that your brother was pulled over. He has a right to carry a gun, and the cops seemed overzealous. Though they have a right to protect themselves, I believe that could have been done in a much more civil manner.

joejoejoe- Unless music was loud in the car or something else, my problem again is being pulled over without reason. You do not say what his expanation was, but I agree this is not proper at all.

cnasty- Same with joe, being pulled over without cause is not acceptable. In both your's and joes cases, it appears, at least, the police did not do anything more than ask questions. Unless they have specific circumstances to do such, this is as bad as stop and frisk.

Psychic Gibbon- They might or might not have pulled you over for the turn, but their behavior afterward was horrendous and unprofessional, especially for a minor traffic violation.

Andrew 31- This one upsets me especially since you were in the military, and if they work around a base they should know many of those moving around there will be soldiers. Again, no reason for being pulled over.

As I said, in my life I have dealt with cops about seven or eight times, I detail those in another thread, but each time I was pulled over, I was doing something wrong. I was never mistreated, even by a cop of the opposite color. I was never frisked or asked if they could search my car. I guess that is why I have a different view of police than many here, but I can now certainly understand those who have such attitudes toward police after going through some of this stuff.

Edited by AREA51

You know I guess many things are just personal experience. In virtually all of your stories I find something to be outraged at.

mdrake- There was no apparent reason that your brother was pulled over. He has a right to carry a gun, and the cops seemed overzealous. Though they have a right to protect themselves, I believe that could have been done in a much more civil manner.

joejoejoe- Unless music was loud in the car or something else, my problem again is being pulled over without reason. You do not say what his expanation was, but I agree this is not proper at all.

cnasty- Same with joe, being pulled over without cause is not acceptable. In both your's and joes cases, it appears at least the police did not do anything more than ask questions. Unless they have specific circumstances to do such, this is as bad as stop and frisk.

Psychic Gibbon- They might or might not have pulled you over for the turn, but their behavior afterward was horrendous and unprofessional, especially for a minor traffic violation.

Andrew 31- This one upsets especially since you were in the military, and if they work around a base they should know many of those moving around there will be soldiers. Again, no reason for being pulled over.

As I said, in my life I have dealt with cops about seven or eight times, I detail those in another thread, but each time I was pulled over, I was doing something wrong. I was never mistreated, even by a cop of the opposite color. I was never frisked or asked if they could search my car. I guess that is why I have a different view of police than many here, but I can now certainly understand those who have such attitudes toward police after going through some of this stuff.

They were in a rental car with out of state tags. Lots of drugs are transported across state lines in rental vehicles, so I get that. But yeah, they acted like total **** goons after they pulled them over.

Coming back from a party one night in Salem, I just dropped the last homie off and was headed to my house it was about 2am. Detects pull me over, don't tell me for what, snatch me out the car, toss my car, leave my **** in the street, and tell me to have a nice night.

Pulled over and ticketed for ruining a light that didn't exist.

Like a month ago me and a friend were going to my spot like 1:30am. We see like 4 blue and whites with people pulled over already so we made a point to not be doing anything suspect. So of course we get pulled over (never told why), cop ask me for my license. I say for what? I'm the passenger there is no reason for you to ask for my license. He said I don't have to give it to him, and I say I know.

So he stands there and like a minute later is like, you're not going to give it to me? I said no, you have no reason to need my id. So they tell my homie that he's going to pay for me.So they hit us with like $600 in tickets...all because I exercised my rights. Got them tickets thrown out tho because cop was stupid enough to tell the driver "you have your passenger to think for that" and I recorded the whole ****.

Pops car got stolen, he called the police to which they reply...oh we don't come out for that.

I got robbed at gun point, didn't call the police tho, figured why make a bad situation worse?

**** the police.

Definitely agree on being pulled over without any apparent reason is a problem, but you are a colorful poster, and if you are like that in real life, I imagine that will not go over well with police. I think being polite will make things better, make any case against them better, than being confrotational, even if they are wrong. I know we all get mad in some situations, but the courts are where you exercise your rights. You may not trust the courts, but better to take your chance there than escalating a traffic stop into something more. Just advice, but I am sure you will tell me to shove it, but that is ok.

They were in a rental car with out of state tags. Lots of drugs are transported across state lines in rental vehicles, so I get that. But yeah, they acted like total **** goons after they pulled them over.

I do not defend as much as explain. If anyone watched those videos I posted in that other thread, a cop who lets down his guard for even a second, can end up dead. They do not know who they are dealing with whenever they stop a car, for a reason that is. That one cop, was handling the situation, and then the passenger popped up, shot and killed him. So I understand their overreacting sometimes.

That said, being cautious and careful has nothing to do with showing a bad attitude or pushing people around or violating civil rights. That is just being on a power trip. In your brother's case, he could have simply asked to hold the gun until the stop was over.

May I add, again, the drug war is a big civil rights violation monstrosity. A few of the pull overs here were under the cause of drugs. I have devoutely argued that the drug war is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, facilitator of civil rights violations, and being pulled over for no apparent reason is just the tip of the iceberg. Money and power flow through this government debacle.

cnasty- Same with joe, being pulled over without cause is not acceptable. In both your's and joes cases, it appears, at least, the police did not do anything more than ask questions. Unless they have specific circumstances to do such, this is as bad as stop and frisk.

I don't know what state, or planet for that matter, that you're from, but one thing I know is that a cop can (and will) very easily make up a "legitimate" reason to pull you over. I've gotten pulled over for no seatbelt countless time as a youth while very clearly having it on. I'm familiar with a Terry stop (and frisk), which doesn't apply to pulling people over. Pulling someone over requires a higher level of suspicion than reasonable.

The other part of it was that I was just a kid that came from a relatively poor family who didn't know much about the law and didn't know any attorneys that we could consult with on this sort of thing, so I was kind of clueless as a kid about my rights. It's kind of ironic that I went to law school to F*ck up the system as best I could, yet I've only done 2 criminal cases in my life and now practice energy law, but I digress.

This gist of my rant is this: police have been habitually crossing their boundaries and by doing so have been moving the line back, bit by bit. If it keeps up, they will have unfettered discretion in the field and that is very dangerous to our freedoms. People seem to ignore this because they think that having law enforcement is a necessity that is absolute. While this is mostly true, the restrictions need to be enforced on their decision making in the field.