Is Joe Hawly Our Starting Center Next Year?

THE ICEMAN

So do we sign or draft a starting cailber center or hope Joe Hawley can continue to play solid.

Hawley has been a huge upgrade over Konz but is still closer to average than good.

I think we don't need a pro bowl type center in our offense we're not running it a ton and pulling the center and guards so we could get by with Hawley problem is we can't just say well Holmes plays well at times let's hope he develops then well Hawley played well let's hope he can continue that well Baker was injured he'll return to forum Blalock with Baker and Hawley will look better. If we do this we'll end up right back were We're at now so I do agree some changes are needed.

I'd say sign the best guard available ??? Get Mack at all cost if he hits the market(isn't tagged) and draft Jake Mathews(his dad was a HOF OL i'd feel much better about him than say baker) if he's still there at 6 because when we actually had an ok OL we made it to the NFC championship game Ryan clearly has to have time to throw it or he's pretty mediocre.

Man TD is going to have a lot of tough decisions to make like take the Tackle or OLB/DE who to keep and let go who to upgrade and who does he have faith in being a quailty starter and developing because we're in this mess now because guys like Mass,Konz and Holmes weren't clearly ready for such an increased role.

Back to Hawley though I think he could easily be our starting center next year but if there isn't an option at guard and Konz or Rynolds will be there we have to upgrade the center spot then.

He's the 18th ranked center based on cumulative grades on PFF, despite having around 600 less snaps at the position compared to those ahead of him. Based on this, you could surmise over the course of him starting over the entire year, he would be ranked a top ten center.

Being better than Konz at center is like being better than a mental patient in the special olympics. Come on guys, did you not see Turn style Hawley literally sack Matt Ryan yesterday? The guy got blown so far off his block that he got turned around and dove in to Matt Ryan. We saw that in the freaking Giants Playoff game in 2011. There are human beings out there that can at least have a solid base to pass protect. Cowboys hit a home run with Travis Frederick, who I was wishing the Falcons would have drafted. You know, Thomas Dimitroff KNOWS more than all of us, HA.

He's the 18th ranked center based on cumulative grades on PFF, despite having around 600 less snaps at the position compared to those ahead of him. Based on this, you could surmise over the course of him starting over the entire year, he would be ranked a top ten center.

Yep, he's definitely earned the job IMO...

I'm still on the "get a RG" train, but I wonder how much better this line will be simply playing Konz at guard and Hawley at center.

We could be a right tackle away from having a decent o-line, assuming Konz improves in the offseason (which is hardly a safe assumption, which is why I still favor drafting a G or getting one in FA).

Based on our current record, I believe that we are in perfect position

to draft a great Center at the top of the 3rd round.

I also feel that there has to be a great center who is wasting away

on another teams depth chart.

Should we stand pat on this position we still have no suitable depth.

We already did that, his name is Joe Hawley...

Being better than Konz at center is like being better than a mental patient in the special olympics. Come on guys, did you not see Turn style Hawley literally sack Matt Ryan yesterday? The guy got blown so far off his block that he got turned around and dove in to Matt Ryan. We saw that in the freaking Giants Playoff game in 2011. There are human beings out there that can at least have a solid base to pass protect. Cowboys hit a home run with Travis Frederick, who I was wishing the Falcons would have drafted. You know, Thomas Dimitroff KNOWS more than all of us, HA.

that looked like it was on blalock to me, i say sign a RT draft a gaurd in the 2nd or 3rd and roll with hawley

He's a better fit for the man blocking scheme we run. In general the O-line personnel and the scheme we run are bad fits no matter what. Players like Hawley do well with the blocking scheme but don't do well with the other things, like screen blocking, and since Koetter has such tunnel vision with screens the O-linemen who are good blocking on the move, like Konz, that they are then bad fits for the man blocking scheme since those skillsets are best suited for a zone blocking scheme. In essence, Koetter is incompetent, he doesn't know what kind of personnel he wants, and he sure as **** doesn't know how to utilize the talent he has. The sad thing is that some Jaguars friends of mine said this was his MO and they were glad to see him go. Hopefully he is promptly fired after the Panthers game at the latest.

Does he need to be replaced? Yes

However, other than Blalock, Can you give me one lineman that doesn't need to be replaced. Unfortunately I'm not sure if we are going to be able to replace 3 out of 5 (assuming Baker starts next year) lineman and still fix our defense problems this offseason. Looks like Hawley may have to go next year until we have time to draft a replacement. I think Hawley is the lesser of 4 evils at this point.

I'm still on the "get a RG" train, but I wonder how much better this line will be simply playing Konz at guard and Hawley at center.

We could be a right tackle away from having a decent o-line, assuming Konz improves in the offseason (which is hardly a safe assumption, which is why I still favor drafting a G or getting one in FA).

NO! I'm not ready to quit on Konz yet but, he doesn't belong starting at any position on our line. Bring in a Massive Guard like Cyril Richardson and a massive good tackle like Antonio Richardson.

Yep. Hawley is a back-up quality, utility OLineman. We need a great center, we need a great RG, and TD will have to gaze into the future and decipher whether Konz will ever develop into an NFL level center or guard, whether Baker can stay healthy and play well, whether Schraeder is going to be a possibility to fill a hole on the right side of the OL. If I were TD, I'd probably go after a starting center, RT and RG, just so I eliminate most of the lingering question marks on that side of the ball.