I'm A Matt Ryan Fan, But This Really Pizzes Me Off About Him...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man y'all need to stop about the no heart thing, I saw him take a shot that put McNabb on the sidelines for a month. Get the guy a pocket so he can do his job. Also dude was evading the pass rsh all day making some clutch gutsy calls. What's the point of him injuring himself this close to the end of a meaningless season as far as playoffs and fans go? This is the time to start preparing for next years Superbowl run not worrying about little ****.

Man y'all need to stop about the no heart thing, I saw him take a shot that put McNabb on the sidelines for a month. Get the guy a pocket so he can do his job. Also dude was evading the pass rsh all day making some clutch gutsy calls. What's the point of him injuring himself this close to the end of a meaningless season as far as playoffs and fans go? This is the time to start preparing for next years Superbowl run not worrying about little ****.

last i checked, Matt is not very injury prone. He is not made of glass.

If he'd just try....once....a bunch of us would change ours minds about him. Not expecting him to bowl over defenders like Cam does when he has to run, but at least take a shot at it, siff arming, side stepping, etc. Anything the rest of the elite qb's are doing, especially when he is drawing elite qb salary. Possibly he doesn't care about taking the extra step to be recognized as "elite". Who knows.

He is still my guy but I know he likes to focus on one aspect each year to improve in his game. I have one for this offseason, he needs to work on being more mobile. He doesn't have balky knees or ankles that prevent it. Work on being more mobile and a faster runner to buy more time in the pocket and when the pocket breaks down, pick up a few yards.

Exactly. He needs to get on the roids, get bigger and physically stronger. Along with that he needs serious footwork lessons for both agility and mobility. Dance classes, tire drills, sprints, etc...

If he'd just try....once....a bunch of us would change ours minds about him. Not expecting him to bowl over defenders like Cam does when he has to run, but at least take a shot at it, siff arming, side stepping, etc. Anything the rest of the elite qb's are doing, especially when he is drawing elite qb salary. Possibly he doesn't care about taking the extra step to be recognized as "elite". Who knows.

That's my question. Does he have the hunger, the passion, the desire to be the best. In situations where he has the opportunity to cement himself and move to the next level, he consistently fails. How much does a championship mean to him? - that's my question.

Honestly I don't have any problem with Matt Ryan making business decisions right now. These games are pointless at this point anyway.

I would...he's not HOFer material to even think of that. He's not his contract worth to even contemplate that. He's got 1 p/o win.

Ryan better ball these last 2 games and show he's worth the effort. His contract only makes him paid not bonafide.

I agree.....I don't think Matt is as bad an athlete as he makes himself look. It really is about 50% attitude and philosophy - its not 100% physical ability.

I watched Matt in college - granted a lower level - but he made tons of plays outside the pocket....

You are right, he needs to work on it - but don't think he will as it seems he and his coach have decided against Matt ever doing anything outside the pocket.

The dirty little secret is Matt's unwillingness to venture from the pocket and/or make the occasional scramble to the pylon - this passive nature is one of the Falcons biggest weaknesses in the redzone. Opposing defenses know they don't have to worry about QB draw or defend/cover for more than two seconds because Matt is unwilling to extend plays.

That about sums it up in a neat little package.

I'd just like to see him do some agility training in the offseason. It would help his pocket presence also to be able to shift around in there and then have enough balance to throw a longer ball.

Heck, I've seen Tom Brady avoid sacks and move around in the pocket like it was easy, and he's the same height if not taller than Ryan.

Edited by JerseyNo12

Heck, I've seen Tom Brady avoid sacks and move around in the pocket like it was easy, and he's the same height if not taller than Ryan.

Not only that - It's Brady's passion and disdain for losing. There is no question that this guy wants to win and losing is unacceptable - no matter who's playing or how many injuries.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/0ap2000000298550/The-concise-Tom-Brady

I am sick of watching him look for a place to fall every time he gets out of the pocket - grow a pair...

He had another chance at a first down today when he tries that ill-advised shuttle pass that looked awkward.

While there are probably only about 10 NFL QBs that are a real threat outside the pocket, there are another 10 or so that are not nimble a foot that will try to make a play every now and then with their feet when there is a play to be made. I know Matt is tough and takes a beating in the pocket so its not that the guy is not tough - maybe its been beat into his head from the coaching staff, I don't know.....when Matt was a rookie, he would try and make some of these plays - Manning/Brady/Brees will make the occasional dive for the pylon/endzone or for the sticks on third down to keep a drive alive.

I don't want my QB doing things to get himself killed, but the pocket is more dangerous than the sideline....

On the slide from the 7 yard line versus the Saints, Matt had a chance but he waits too long to commit to the act of running - he's not decisive - its more about being decisive and smart with when you tuck/run than being a gazelle. In a split second, you are not always going to make the right decision but Matt has obviously made the decision that he is not going to try and make a play with his feet - EVER. I say this because Matt was asked about the Saints-slide-play after the game - when he had time to think/reflect on it and he still said unequivocally that the slide was proper and he would do it again - WTH?

I just think that in certain situations Matt needs to be more aggressive w/ his feet - while it is never said in front of cameras/microphones, I'm sure Matt's teammates are disappointed in his passive nature sometimes.

Just wanted to get that off my chest - i feel better now. I'm sure its going to be "5-to-1" against what I said but whatever.....

I still like Matt as the leader of this team but I do think he is earning the reputation as a guy that has no killer instinct.

Do you guys have such a problem with all the other QBs in the NFL that do the exact same thing virtually every time they are in the same set of circumstances? Many of them that are considered far more mobile and fleet of foot as well?

Just this week I saw Kaepernick, Newton, and Wilson all do the same. What about them?

Ok. I can't take it people are saying he needs great this and that succeed? If we are talking about perfect conditions when has he EVER had that.

Only in 2008-10 we had a great running game, average o line and slightly above average receiving corps, with an average D.

2011-12 average run game, below average o line, great receiving corps and average D

2013 poor run game, poor o line, slightly below average receiving (for most of year), and below average D.

I would argue if we had 2008-10 skill set with 2013 Ryan succeeding wouldn't be a problem.

As for making plays, I know I wasn't the only one seein him slip away and ducking to complete a sideline throw or running to his left and throwing across his body for the first down. And you have seen him run for first downs. Last year he dove for a first down against the lions and ran for a TD.

IDK I feel like we are bashing Ryan for a lost season. If Ryan would have been a beast every game. I think we would be 9-7 this year and missed the playoffs. And believe me, I get mad at the same plays you guys get mad at. it's just right now it's a wash and let's hope we can get some pieces to at least be average at key positions, such as o line and d line and we will see the team flourish.

Do you guys have such a problem with all the other QBs in the NFL that do the exact same thing virtually every time they are in the same set of circumstances? Many of them that are considered far more mobile and fleet of foot as well?

Just this week I saw Kaepernick, Newton, and Wilson all do the same. What about them?

every QB takes a slide every now and then.

its just that Matt ALWAYS does.

if Matt would just run like say a Drew Brees or a Phillip Rivers. If he would QB sneak like a Tom Brady ...... its 1-2 plays a game, that is all.

No one is saying that Matt should never slide or sit down. Just don't do it EVERY time and let the situation dictate - there are 1-2 plays per game where Matt needs to get that yard and make that extra effort. Mike Smith says himself - in the NFL, most games come down to a handful of plays.

Ok. I can't take it people are saying he needs great this and that succeed? If we are talking about perfect conditions when has he EVER had that.

Only in 2008-10 we had a great running game, average o line and slightly above average receiving corps, with an average D.

2011-12 average run game, below average o line, great receiving corps and average D

2013 poor run game, poor o line, slightly below average receiving (for most of year), and below average D.

I would argue if we had 2008-10 skill set with 2013 Ryan succeeding wouldn't be a problem.

As for making plays, I know I wasn't the only one seein him slip away and ducking to complete a sideline throw or running to his left and throwing across his body for the first down. And you have seen him run for first downs. Last year he dove for a first down against the lions and ran for a TD.

IDK I feel like we are bashing Ryan for a lost season. If Ryan would have been a beast every game. I think we would be 9-7 this year and missed the playoffs. And believe me, I get mad at the same plays you guys get mad at. it's just right now it's a wash and let's hope we can get some pieces to at least be average at key positions, such as o line and d line and we will see the team flourish.

the difference between 9-7 and 4-10 is rather significant, don't you think? its 1/3 of a season.

it sends the wrong message to your teammates and your fans - again, I'm not proposing that Matt Ryan try to be something that he is not - but I just think he is never going to get to that "next level" that we all hope Matt can get to - until he becomes more aggressive. Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part - maybe he just "is what he is"...

I think it is just situational awareness. He has put his head down and dove for a first down. He will again. Playing with 2-3 wins after Thanksgiving isn't the time to do it.

Overall, I agree with you. This particualr week, I was more okay with it. The option he chose would have gotten more yards, its just that he committed to run then saw a better opportunity. Snelling was standing where he was trying to get to. Decent decision...made too late.

No, but I'm not the one saying he's an elite Qb either. He is a good to really good QB. I don't think anyone can prepare themselves for the assbeating he has received this year. It caught him off guard and it's not an adjustment that can be made this season. And hopefully by then the line will be a bit better than this year.

Russel Wilson also started running from a further position and slid but the Difference between Russel Wilson and Matt Ryan? Russel proceeded to throw a Touchdown pass and the Falcons proceeded to kick a field goal ( against the saints) and not get a first down ( against the Redskins).