I'm A Matt Ryan Fan, But This Really Pizzes Me Off About Him...

g-dawg

I am sick of watching him look for a place to fall every time he gets out of the pocket - grow a pair...

He had another chance at a first down today when he tries that ill-advised shuttle pass that looked awkward.

While there are probably only about 10 NFL QBs that are a real threat outside the pocket, there are another 10 or so that are not nimble a foot that will try to make a play every now and then with their feet when there is a play to be made. I know Matt is tough and takes a beating in the pocket so its not that the guy is not tough - maybe its been beat into his head from the coaching staff, I don't know.....when Matt was a rookie, he would try and make some of these plays - Manning/Brady/Brees will make the occasional dive for the pylon/endzone or for the sticks on third down to keep a drive alive.

I don't want my QB doing things to get himself killed, but the pocket is more dangerous than the sideline....

On the slide from the 7 yard line versus the Saints, Matt had a chance but he waits too long to commit to the act of running - he's not decisive - its more about being decisive and smart with when you tuck/run than being a gazelle. In a split second, you are not always going to make the right decision but Matt has obviously made the decision that he is not going to try and make a play with his feet - EVER. I say this because Matt was asked about the Saints-slide-play after the game - when he had time to think/reflect on it and he still said unequivocally that the slide was proper and he would do it again - WTH?

I just think that in certain situations Matt needs to be more aggressive w/ his feet - while it is never said in front of cameras/microphones, I'm sure Matt's teammates are disappointed in his passive nature sometimes.

Just wanted to get that off my chest - i feel better now. I'm sure its going to be "5-to-1" against what I said but whatever.....

I still like Matt as the leader of this team but I do think he is earning the reputation as a guy that has no killer instinct.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is still my guy but I know he likes to focus on one aspect each year to improve in his game. I have one for this offseason, he needs to work on being more mobile. He doesn't have balky knees or ankles that prevent it. Work on being more mobile and a faster runner to buy more time in the pocket and when the pocket breaks down, pick up a few yards.

Ever since that Vikings tumble into the endzone, he's never done anything like that...

Believe that it was drilled in his head to never do anything like that again...

it sends the wrong message to your teammates and your fans - again, I'm not proposing that Matt Ryan try to be something that he is not - but I just think he is never going to get to that "next level" that we all hope Matt can get to - until he becomes more aggressive. Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part - maybe he just "is what he is"...

He is still my guy but I know he likes to focus on one aspect each year to improve in his game. I have one for this offseason, he needs to work on being more mobile. He doesn't have balky knees or ankles that prevent it. Work on being more mobile and a faster runner to buy more time in the pocket and when the pocket breaks down, pick up a few yards.

I agree.....I don't think Matt is as bad an athlete as he makes himself look. It really is about 50% attitude and philosophy - its not 100% physical ability.

I watched Matt in college - granted a lower level - but he made tons of plays outside the pocket....

You are right, he needs to work on it - but don't think he will as it seems he and his coach have decided against Matt ever doing anything outside the pocket.

The dirty little secret is Matt's unwillingness to venture from the pocket and/or make the occassional scramble to the pylon - this passive nature is one of the Falcons biggest weaknesses in the redzone. Opposing defenses know they don't have to worry about QB draw or defend/cover for more than two seconds because Matt is unwilling to extend plays.

I used to think Dawg had a little football IQ but I just changed my mind.

no worries - you are entitled to your opinion.....swift is escalating things past a level that I agree - but I think I'm spot-on about Matt's lack of selective aggressiveness - its getting worse as the year's go by and I don't think its just him being smarter.

no worries - you are entitled to your opinion.....swift is escalating things past a level that I agree - but I think I'm spot-on about Matt's lack of selective aggressiveness - its getting worse as the year's go by and I don't think its just him being smarter.

Careful what you wish for. Maybe DD could pound out those yards for us ?....rolleyes.gif And no disrespect, but how many times you seen Manning or Brady run out those tough yards ?

Careful what you wish for. Maybe DD could pound out those yards for us ?....rolleyes.gif And no disrespect, but how many times you seen Manning or Brady run out those tough yards ?

man, Brady is the best QB sneaker in the NFL - I've seen it enough to know that there are lots of talented NFL quarterbacks that will make a play when the play breaks down - and they are not all Kaepernicks/RGIII's and Russell Wilson types.

man, Brady is the best QB sneaker in the NFL - I've seen it enough to know that there are lots of talented NFL quarterbacks that will make a play when the play breaks down - and they are not all Kaepernicks/RGIII's and Russell Wilson types.

Sneak yea, take a big hit NO....he likes to go home to Gisele in one piece. And if we had an O line that could get an actual 3" push, maybe we would sneak Ryan more. Brady slides just as much as Ryan if not more. Ryan protects himself, rightfully so. See Griffin, Robert. Nuff said ....rolleyes.gif

I am sick of watching him look for a place to fall every time he gets out of the pocket - grow a pair...

He had another chance at a first down today when he tries that ill-advised shuttle pass that looked awkward.

While there are probably only about 10 NFL QBs that are a real threat outside the pocket, there are another 10 or so that are not nimble a foot that will try to make a play every now and then with their feet when there is a play to be made. I know Matt is tough and takes a beating in the pocket so its not that the guy is not tough - maybe its been beat into his head from the coaching staff, I don't know.....when Matt was a rookie, he would try and make some of these plays - Manning/Brady/Brees will make the occasional dive for the pylon/endzone or for the sticks on third down to keep a drive alive.

I don't want my QB doing things to get himself killed, but the pocket is more dangerous than the sideline....

On the slide from the 7 yard line versus the Saints, Matt had a chance but he waits too long to commit to the act of running - he's not decisive - its more about being decisive and smart with when you tuck/run than being a gazelle. In a split second, you are not always going to make the right decision but Matt has obviously made the decision that he is not going to try and make a play with his feet - EVER. I say this because Matt was asked about the Saints-slide-play after the game - when he had time to think/reflect on it and he still said unequivocally that the slide was proper and he would do it again - WTH?

I just think that in certain situations Matt needs to be more aggressive w/ his feet - while it is never said in front of cameras/microphones, I'm sure Matt's teammates are disappointed in his passive nature sometimes.

Just wanted to get that off my chest - i feel better now. I'm sure its going to be "5-to-1" against what I said but whatever.....

I still like Matt as the leader of this team but I do think he is earning the reputation as a guy that has no killer instinct.

Matt looks like doo doo this year. Time to tighten your azz up and quit acting like a puzzy.

Sneak yea, take a big hit NO....he likes to go home to Gisele in one piece. And if we had an O line that could get an actual 3" push, maybe we would sneak Ryan more. Brady slides just as much as Ryan if not more. Ryan protects himself, rightfully so. See Griffin, Robert. Nuff said ....rolleyes.gif

LOL, Ryan has never run like RGIII and I was not comparing Ryan to the elite runners.

This is just my opinion ,but as the losses pile up for Matt I feel like we see what this staff has done to him. I won't blame the staff fully though.... If Matt had balls he would have made those plays without listening to the coaching staffs approval anyways. As a player it should come second nature to you to run for that 5-10 yard gain because nothing is open to make the D respect you.

And as for the playoffs and wins/losses in them again it comes down to the play calling and what he has been taught to do. And again if he was a great QB he would have made the plays.

Matt is what I like to call " A Product of scheme QB". If he works in a shizz scheme he will act like it.

Yea no chit Sherlock, but you want your franchise QB to run into traffic like him ? ...WTF, I give up

you should give up.....you are acting like I am saying Ryan should take off on every opportunity - i'm not doing that. There are usually 1-2 times a game where a wise QB can be slightly aggressive and pick up a 1st down to keep the chains moving without getting his head taken off - Matt will not make those plays when given a chance - all he has to do is make the decision a split second earlier to be aggressive.

I'm not asking Matt to be something he is not - not asking him to sacrifice his body time and again - all I am saying is "make the plays when they are there" - especially in crucial 3rd down and redzone situations.

As I pointed out in my opening statement, apparently its been decided between Matt and Mike Smith that there is never a situation when Matt should make the play - just sit down on your skirt.

This is just my opinion ,but as the losses pile up for Matt I feel like we see what this staff has done to him. I won't blame the staff fully though.... If Matt had balls he would have made those plays without listening to the coaching staffs approval anyways. As a player it should come second nature to you to run for that 5-10 yard gain because nothing is open to make the D respect you.

And as for the playoffs and wins/losses in them again it comes down to the play calling and what he has been taught to do. And again if he was a great QB he would have made the plays.

Matt is what I like to call " A Product of scheme QB". If he works in a shizz scheme he will act like it.

nice post - you have phrased some of my thoughts in a different way and I agree.

I don't think Matt was always this way - I think its been coached into him and he has accepted it and let it take hold to his overall philosophy of being passive in ALL situations to attempt to avoid injury.

my point is simply: there are calculated times that even non-running QBs can make 1 play(or two) in a game and Matt has conceded to the opposition before the game starts that he will not attempt to make those plays.

I am a Ryan fan because he is an accurate passer and a good leader,he is far from perfect ,clumsey and sissy like at times.Ryan must have a good O-line and at least an average running game to really be effective.This year he looks shell shocked at times,he is tough enough but because he is so skinny he looks beat down after a hard game,I wish he would hire a personel trainer and bulk up 10 ,15 lbs,in the off season.

Spot on.