Imo Ol More Important, But Clowney Is The Pick

Farmer2

I've stated my opinion over and over again, that I'd rather have Matthews over Clowney. We've invested on offense and failed to protect our investment. But then I got to thinking about it. I see 5 major needs on our team. They are, C, RG, RT, DE, and DT. I see us fixing 3 of those positions in FA, and the other two w/ our first two picks. My thinking is, we can find pretty good players at all those positions w/o breaking the bank except DE. To sign someone w/ clowney's upside, it would take a huge contract in FA. So to me it makes since to C, DT, and RT in FA, then draft Clowney 1st and a RG 2nd. That would give us a veteran proven center, someone we know can push the pocket at DT, and a proven solid but maybe not great RT in FA. Then go w/ Clowney and a road grader at RG in the draft, all while being financially responsible. Thoughts?

C - Re-sign Joe Hawley. He's looked like Todd McClure out there

LT/RG/RT - go out and sign Rodger Saffold and re-sign Mike Johnson. Have the three best between Lamar Holmes, Saffold, Sam Baker, Peter Konz, Garrett Reynolds and Johnson start. If it's Holmes-Blalock-Hawley-Saffold-Johnson, so be it.

DE - get Clowney if you can.

DT - re-sign Peters, bring in Linval Joseph, draft Ryan Carrethers. Joseph and Carrethers can rotate at NT as both are 320-335 pounds, quick off the ball and can pass rush. Peters is a better fit for UT and would come out for Travian Robertson on some plays. The overall size of the DT's will go from 305 at NT and 295 at UT to 320-335 at NT and 300-305 at UT. It'd be much better against the run and should be better against the pass.

As much as I like the idea of Clowney, and agree we should take him if available, It's a double edge sword because taking him means it will be hard to fill a position of higher need. I'm almost hoping we miss out on him and get a trade-back offer with an extra second.

Something like this:

DT: Hageman

OG: Cyril Richardson

OT: Antonio Richardson

LT/RG/RT - go out and sign Rodger Saffold and re-sign Mike Johnson. Have the three best between Lamar Holmes, Saffold, Sam Baker, Peter Konz, Garrett Reynolds and Johnson start. If it's Holmes-Blalock-Hawley-Saffold-Johnson, so be it.

DT - re-sign Peters, bring in Linval Joseph, draft Ryan Carrethers. Joseph and Carrethers can rotate at NT as both are 320-335 pounds, quick off the ball and can pass rush. Peters is a better fit for UT and would come out for Travian Robertson on some plays. The overall size of the DT's will go from 305 at NT and 295 at UT to 320-335 at NT and 300-305 at UT. It'd be much better against the run and should be better against the pass.

Would like to see Travian getting way more snaps than he is. Especially against teams who run the ball more. We already have Babs and Jerry playing alot of DE, I think Travian would be an upgrade in the middle beside Peters. Loved him in the draft two years ago.

Saffold isn't much to speak about and I see absolutely no point in re-signing Johnson. I see the O-line continuing the be garbage with your scenario.